This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. JS Garner . The CDC Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Am J Infect Control 1993;21:160–2.
4. AD Hecht . Creating greater efficiency in ambulatory surgery. J Clin Anesth 1995;7:581–4.
5. JR Horwitz , WJ Chwals , JJ Doski , EA Suescun HW Cheu , KE Lally Pediatric wound infections: a prospective multicenter study. Ann Surg 1998;227:553–8.
6. R Golub , F Siddiqui , D Pohl . Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: a metaanalysis. J Am Coll Surg 1998;186:545–53.
7. J Mayol , J Garcia-Aguilar , E Ortiz-Oshiro , JA De-Diego Carmona JA Ferndandez-Represa Risks of the minimal access approach for laparoscopic surgery: multivariate analysis of morbidity related to umbilical trocar insertion. World J Surg 1997;21:529–33.
, , , , , . . ;:–22.8. AM Lacy JC Garcia-Valdecasas S Delgado L Grande J Fuster J Tabet et alPostoperative complications of laparoscopic-assisted colectomy Surg Endose 1997 11 119
9. S Pagni , EJ Salloum , GR Tobin , DJ VanHimbergen , PA Spence Serious wound infections after minimally invasive coronary bypass procedures. Ann Thorac Surg 1998;66:92–4.
10.The Southern Surgeons Club. A prospective analysis of 1518 laparoscopic cholecystectomies. N Engl J Med 1991;324:1073–8.
11.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) report, data summary from October 1986-April 1997, issued May 1997. Am J Infect Control 1997;25:477–87.
14. TG Emori , RP Gaynes . An overview of nosocomial infections, including the role of the microbiology laboratory. Clin Microbiol Rev 1993;6(4:428–42.
18. JM Boyce , G Potter-Bynoe , L Dziobek . Hospital reimbursement patterns among patients with surgical wound infections following open heart surgery. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1990;11(2):89–93.
19. KB Poulsen , A Bremmelgaard AI Sorensen , D Raahave , JV Petersen . Estimated costs of postoperative wound infections. A case-control study of marginal hospital and social security costs. Epidemiol Infect 1994;113(2:283–95.
22. TC Horan , RP Gaynes , WJ Martone , WR Jarvis , TG Emori . CDC definitions of nosocomial surgical site infections, 1992: a modification of CDC definitions of surgical wound infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1992;13(10:606–8.
23. NJ Ehrenkranz , EI Richter , PM Phillips , JM Shultz . An apparent excess of operative site infections: analyses to evaluate false-positive diagnoses. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1995;16(12:712–6.
24. G Taylor , M McKenzie , T Kirkland , R Wiens Effect of surgeon's diagnosis on surgical wound infection rates. Am J Infect Control 1990;18(5:295–9.
25.SHEA APIC, CDC, SIS. Consensus paper on the surveillance of surgical wound infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1992;13(10): 599–605.
26. SM Nooyen , BP Overbeek , A Brutel de la Riviere , AJ Storm , JM Langemeyer . Prospective randomised comparison of single-dose versus multiple-dose cefuroxime for prophylaxis in coronary artery bypass grafting. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1994;13:1033–7.
. . ;:–8.27.Centers for Disease Control and PreventionNational Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) report, data summary from October 1986-April 1996, issued May 1996. A report from the National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Ann J Infect Control 1996 24 380
28. DR Schaberg Resistant gram-positive organisms. Ann Emerg Med 1994;24(3:462–4.
29. DR Schaberg , DH Culver , RP Gaynes . Major trends in the microbial etiology of nosocomial infection. Am J Med 1991;91(3B):72S–5S.
. , ;:–.30. WR Jarvis Epidemiology of nosocomial fungal infections, with emphasis on speciesCandida din Infect Dis 1995 20 152630
32. RD Pearson , WM Valenti , RT Steigbigel . Clostridium perfringens wound infections associated with elastic bandages. JAMA 1980;244:1128–30.
33. HM Richet , PC Craven , JM Brown , BA Lasker CD Cox , MM McNeil , et al. A cluster of Rhodococcus (Gordona) bronchialis sternal-wound infections after coronary-artery bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 1991;324:104–9.
34. PN Wenger , JM Brown , MM McNeil , WR Jarvis Nocardia farcinica sternotomy site infections in patients following open heart surgery. J Infect Dis 1998;178:1539–43.
35. PW Lowry , RJ Blankenship , W Gridley , NJ Troup , LS Tompkins . A cluster of Legionella sternal-wound infections due to postoperative topical exposure to contaminated tap water. N Engl J Med 1991;324: 109–13.
39. TJ Krizek , MC Robson . Evolution of quantitative bacteriology in wound management. Am J Surg 1975;130:579–84.
43. B Henderson , S Poole , M Wilson . Microbial/host interactions in health and disease: who controls the cytokine network? Immunopharmacology 1996;35:1–21.
44. DC Morrison , JL Ryan . Endotoxins and disease mechanisms. Ann Rev Med 1987;38:417–32.
47. DE Fry , L Pearlstein , RL Fulton , HC Polk Jr., Multiple system organ failure: the role of uncontrolled infection. Arch Surg 1980;115:136–40.
48. DL Kasper . Bacterial capsule—old dogmas and new tricks. J Infect Dis 1986;153:407–15.
, , , , , . . ;(:–8.50. O Goeau-Brissonniere C Leport R Guidoin C Lebrault JC Pechere F Bacourt Experimental colonization of an expanded polytetrafluo-roethylene vascular graft with a quantitative and morphologic studyStaphylococcus aureus: J Vase Surg 1987 5 5 743
51. TM Bergamini , RA Corpus Jr., KR Brittian JC Peyton , WG Cheadle . The natural history of bacterial biofilm graft infection. J Surg Res 1994;56:393–6.
52. IM Baddour , GD Christensen , MG Hester , AL Bisno Production of experimental endocarditis by coagulase-negative staphylococci: variability in species virulence. J Infect Dis 1984;150:721–7.
59. L Slaughter , JE Morris , A Starr Prosthetic valvular endocarditis. A 12-year review. Circulation 1973;47:1319–26.
60. AK Carlsson , L Lidgren , L Lindberg Prophylactic antibiotics against early and late deep infections after total hip replacements. Acta Orthop Scand 1977;48:405–10.
61. JG Hunter , M Padilla , S Cooper-Vastola . Late Clostridium perfringens breast implant infection after dental treatment. Ann Plast Surg 1996;36(3:309–12.
62. DC Stuesse , JH Robinson , DS Durzinsky . A late sternal wound infection caused by hematogenous spread of bacteria. Chest 1995;108(6:1742–3.
, , , , . . ;(:–.64. E Velasco LC Thuler CA Martins LM Dias VM Conalves Risk factors for infectious complications after abdominal surgery for malignant disease Am JInfect Control 1996 24 1 16
67. ID Edwards . The epidemiology of 2056 remote site infections and 1966 surgical wound infections occurring in 1865 patients: a four year study of 40,923 operations at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Hospital, Chicago. Ann Surg 1976;184:758–66.
69. GA Cioffi GT Terezhalmy , GM Taybos . Total joint replacement: a consideration for antimicrobial prophylaxis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1988;66(1:124–9.
70. MH Heggeness , SI Esses , T Errico , HA Yuan . Late infection of spinal instrumentation by hematogenous seeding. Spine 1993;18(4:492–6.
71. MA Mont B Waldman , C Banerjee , IH Pacheco , DS Hungerford . Multiple irrigation, debridement, and retention of components in infected total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1997;12(4:426–33.
, , , , . ;:–.74. FM Calia E Wolinsky EA Mortimer Jr. JS Abrams CH Rammelkamp Jr. Importance of the carrier state as a source of in wound sepsisStaphylococcus aureus J Hyg (Lond) 1969 67 4957
76. TD Mastro , TA Farley , JA Elliott , RR Facklam JR Perks , JL Hadler , et al. An outbreak of surgical-wound infections due to group A streptococcus carried on the scalp. N Engl J Med 1990;323:968–72.
77. CR Ford , DE Peterson , CR Mitchell An appraisal of the role of surgical face masks. Am J Surg 1967;113:787–90.
79. H Giamarellou , A Antoniadou Epidemiology, diagnosis, and therapy of fungal infections in surgery. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17(8:558–64.
81. TM Perl , JE Golub . New approaches to reduce Staphylococcus aureus nosocomial infection rates: treating S. aureus nasal carriage. Ann Pharmacother 1998;32:S7–S16.
82. JA Kluytmans JW Mouton , EP Ijzerman , CM Vandenbroucke-Grauls , AW Maat , JH Wagenvoort , et al. Nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus as a major risk factor for wound infections after cardiac surgery. J Infect Dis 1995;171:216–9.
85. T Nagachinta , M Stephens , B Reitz , BE Polk Risk factors for surgical-wound infection following cardiac surgery. J Infect Dis 1987;156:967–73.
86. DE Iilienfeld , D Vlahov , JH Tenney , JS McLaughlin . Obesity and diabetes as risk factors for postoperative wound infections after cardiac surgery. Am J Infect Control 1988;16:3–6.
87. MS Slaughter , MM Olson , JT Lee Jr., HB Ward . A fifteen-year wound surveillance study after coronary artery bypass. Ann Thorac Surg 1993;56(5:1063–8.
89. JK Jones , RG Triplett . The relationship of cigarette smoking to impaired intraoral wound healing: a review of evidence and implications for patient care. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1992;50(3):237–9; discussion 23940.
90. AL Vinton , LW Traverso , PC Jolly . Wound complications after modified radical mastectomy compared with tylectomy with axillary lymph node dissection. Am J Surg 1991;161(5:584–8.
92. P Beitsch , C Balch . Operative morbidity and risk factor assessment in melanoma patients undergoing inguinal lymph node dissection. Am J Surg 1992;164(5):462–6; discussion 465-6.
93. S Post , M Betzier , B von Ditfurth , G Schurmann , P Kuppers , C Herfarth . Risks of intestinal anastomoses in Crohn's disease. Ann Surg 1991;213(1:37–42.
97. GR Barber , J Miransky , AE Brown , DG Coit , FM Lewis , HT Thaler , et al. Direct observations of surgical wound infections at a comprehensive cancer center. Arch Surg 1995;130(10:1042–7.
98. PJ Cruse , R Foord A five-year prospective study of 23,649 surgical wounds. Arch Surg 1973;107:206–10.
99. BE Claesson , DE Holmlund . Predictors of intraoperative bacterial contamination and postoperative infection in elective colorectal surgery. J Hosp Infect 1988;11:127–35.
100. SF Mishriki , DJ Law , PJ Jeffery . Factors affecting the incidence of postoperative wound infection. J Hosp Infect 1990;16:223–30.
101. CM Doig , AW Wilkinson . Wound infection in a children's hospital. Br J Surg 1976;63:647–50.
102. LK Sharma , PK Sharma Postoperative wound infection in a pediatric surgical service. J Pediatr Surg 1986;21:889–91.
104. KA Greene , AH Wilde , BN Stulberg . Preoperative nutritional status of total joint patients. Relationship to postoperative wound complications. J Arthroplasty 1991;6(4:321–5.
106. EC Vamvakas , JH Carven . Transfusion of white-cell-containing allogeneic blood components and postoperative wound infection: effect of confounding factors. Transfus Med 1998;8:29–36.
107. EC Vamvakas , JH Carven , PL Hibberd . Blood transfusion and infection after colorectal cancer surgery. Transfusion 1996;36:1000–8.
108. LS Jensen , P Kissmeyer-Nielsen , B Wolff , N Qvist . Randomised comparison of leucocyte-depleted versus buffy-coat-poor blood transfusion and complications after colorectal surgery. Lancet 1996;348:841–5.
109. MM Heiss , W Mempel , KW Jauch , C Delanoff , G Mayer , M Mempel , et al. Beneficial effect of autologous blood transfusion on infectious complications after colorectal cancer surgery. Lancet 1993;342:1328–33.
110. L Lidgren . Postoperative orthopaedic infections in patients with diabetes mellitus. Acta Orthop Scand 1973;44:149–51.
112. KJ Zerr , AP Furnary , GL Grunkemeier , S Bookin , V Kanhere , A Starr . Glucose control lowers the risk of wound infection in diabetics after open heart operations. Ann Thorac Surg 1997;63(2:356–61.
113. A Terranova . The effects of diabetes mellitus on wound healing. Plast Surg Nurs 1991;11(1):20–5.
114. Y Ziv , JM Church , VW Fazio , TM King , Lavery 1C. Effect of systemic steroids on ileal pouchanal anastomosis in patients with ulcerative colitis. Dis Colon Rectum 1996;39(5:504–8.
115. VG Pons , SL Denlinger , BJ Guglielmo , J Octavio , J Flaherty , PA Derish , et al. Ceftizoxime versus vancomycin and gentamicin in neurosurgical prophylaxis: a randomized, prospective, blinded clinical study. Neurosurgery 1993;33(3):416–22; discussion 422-3.
116. IW Brown Jr, GF Moor , BW Hummel , WG Marshall Jr, JP Collins . Toward further reducing wound infections in cardiac operations. Ann Thorac Surg 1996;62 (6): 1783–9.
117. NV Christou , CW Nohr , JL Meakins . Assessing operative site infection in surgical patients. Arch Surg 1987;122:165–9.
118. SS Hu , F Fontaine , B Kelly , DS Bradford . Nutritional depletion in staged spinal reconstructive surgery. The effect of total parenteral nutrition. Spine 1998;23:1401–5.
120. PH Katelaris , GB Bennett , RC Smith . Prediction of postoperative complications by clinical and nutritional assessment. Aust N Z J Surg 1986;56:743–7.
121. JF Leite , CF Antunes , JC Monteiro , BT Pereira . Value of nutritional parameters in the prediction of postoperative complications in elective gastrointestinal surgery. Br J Surg 1987;74:426–9.
122. JL Mullen , MH Gertner , GR Buzby GL Goodhart , EF Rosato , Implications of malnutrition in the surgical patient. Arch Surg 1979;114:121–5.
123. GP Buzby , JL Mullen , DC Matthews , CL Hobbs , EF Rosato Prognostic nutritional index in gastrointestinal surgery. Am J Surg 1980;139:160–7.
126. DH Culver , TC Horan , RP Gaynes , WJ Martone , WR Jarvis , TG Emori , et al. Surgical wound infection rates by wound class, operative procedure, and patient risk index. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. Am J Med 1991;91(Suppl 3B):152S–7S.
127. JA Windsor GL Hill Weight loss with physiologic impairment. A basic indicator of surgical risk. Ann Surg 1988;207:290–6.
129. IB McPhee , RP Williams , CE Swanson . Factors influencing wound healing after surgery for metastatic disease of the spine. Spine 1998;23: 726–33; discussion 732-3.
130. JL Mullen , GP Buzby , DC Matthews , BF Smale , EF Rosato Reduction of operative morbidity and mortality by combined preoperative and postoperative nutritional support. Ann Surg 1980;192:604–13.
131. JA Windsor GL Hill . Protein depletion and surgical risk. Aust N Z J Surg 1988;58:711–5.
132. KS Ulicny Jr, LF Hiratzka , RB Williams , GL Grunkemeier , JB Flege Jr, CB Wright , et al. Sternotomy infection: poor prediction by acute phase response and delayed hypersensitivity. Ann Thorac Surg 1990;50:949–58.
134. EE Moore , TN Jones . Benefits of immediate jejunostomy feeding after major abdominal trauma—a prospective, randomized study. J Trauma 1986;26:874–81.
136. JM Daly , FN Weintraub , J Shou , EF Rosato , M Lucia . Enteral nutrition during multimodality therapy in upper gastrointestinal cancer patients. Ann Surg 1995;221:327–38.
137. FA Moore , DV Feliciano , RJ Andrassy , AH McArdle , FV Booth , TB Morgenstein-Wagner , et al. Early enteral feeding, compared with parenteral, reduces postoperative Tieptic complications. The results of a meta-analysis. Ann Surg 1992;216:172–83.
, , , , . . ;:.138. PM Starker PA Lasala J Askanazi FE Gump RA Forse JM Kinney The response to TPN: a form of nutritional assessment Ann Surg 1983 198 7204
140. AR Holter , JE Fischer . The effects of perioperative hyperalimentation on complications in patients with carcinoma and weight loss. J Surg Res 1977;23:31–4.
141. BR Thompson TB Julian , JF Stremple . Perioperative total parenteral nutrition in patients with gastrointestinal cancer. J Surg Res 1981;30: 497–500.
142. MF Brennan , PW Pisters , M Posner , O Quesada , M Shike . A prospective randomized trial of total parenteral nutrition after major pancreatic resection for malignancy. Ann Surg 1994;220:436–41; discussion 441-4.
143.The Veterans Affairs Total Parenteral Nutrition Cooperative Study Group. Perioperative total parenteral nutrition in surgical patients. N Engl J Med 1991;325:525–32.
145. M Senkal , A Mumme U Eickhoff , C Geier , G Spath , D Wulfert , et al. Early postoperative enteral immunonutrition: clinical outcome and cost-comparison analysis in surgical patients. Crit Care Med 1997;25:1489–96.
146. RV Heatley , RH Williams , MH Lewis . Pre-operative intravenous feeding—a controlled trial. Postgrad Med J 1979;55:541–5.
147. JM Muller , HW Keller , U Brenner , M Walter , W Holzmuller . Indications and effects of preoperative parenteral nutrition. World J Surg 1986;10: 53–63.
148. JM Daly , E Massar , G Ciacco , OH Frazier , CF Mountain , SJ Dudrick , et al. Parenteral nutrition in esophageal cancer patients. Ann Surg 1982;196:203–8.
149. JD Klein , LA Hey , CS Yu , BB Klein , FJ Coufal , EP Ycmng , et al. Perioperative nutrition and postoperative complications in patients undergoing spinal surgery. Spine 1996;21:2676–82.
150. RA Garibaldi , D Cushing , T Lerer . Risk factors for postoperative infection. Am J Med 1991;91(Suppl 3B):158S–63S.
151. JT Lee . Operative complications and quality improvement. Am J Surg 1996;171:545–7.
152. JA Kluytmans JW Mouton , MF Vanden Bergh , MJ Manders , AP Maat , et al. Reduction of surgical-site infections in cardiothoracic surgery by elimination of nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:780–5.
153. JM Boyce . Preventing staphylococcal infections by eradicating nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus: proceeding with caution. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:775–9.
154. MA Blajchman Allogeneic blood transfusions, immunomodulation, and postoperative bacterial infection: do we have the answers yet? Transfusion 1997;37:121–5.
155. RA Garibaldi Prevention of intraoperative wound contamination with Chlorhexidine shower and scrub. J Hosp Infect 1988;11(Suppl B):5–9.
156. DS Paulson . Efficacy evaluation of a 4% Chlorhexidine gluconate as a full-body shower wash. Am J Infect Control 1993;21(4:205–9.
157. LJ Hayek , JM Emerson , AM Gardner . A placebo-controlled trial of the effect of two preoperative baths or showers with Chlorhexidine detergent on postoperative wound infection rates. J Hosp Infect 1987;10: 165–72.
158. AB Kaiser , DS Kernodle , NL Barg , MR Petracek Influence of preoperative showers on staphylococcal skin colonization: a comparative trial of antiseptic skin cleansers. Ann Thorac Surg 1988;45:35–8.
159. ML Rotter , SO Larsen , EM Cooke , J Dankert , F Daschner , D Greco , et al. A comparison of the effects of preoperative whole-body bathing with detergent alone and with detergent containing Chlorhexidine gluconate on the frequency of wound infections after clean surgery. The European Working Party on Control of Hospital Infections. J Hosp Infect 1988;11:310–20.
160. DA Leigh JL Strange , J Marriner , J Sedgwick . Total body bathing with ‘Hibiscrub’ (Chlorhexidine) in surgical patients: a controlled trizi J Hosp Infect 1983;4:229–35.
161. GA Ayliffe , MF Noy , JR Babb , JG Davies , J Jackson . A comparison of pre-operative bathing with chlorhexidine-detergent and non-medicated soap in the prevention of wound infection. J Hosp Infect 1983;4:237–44.
162. W Lynch , PG Davey , M Malek , DJ Byrne , A Napier Cost-effectiveness analysis of the use of Chlorhexidine detergent in preoperative whole-body disinfection in wound infection prophylaxis. J Hosp Infect 1992;21:179–91.
165. CA Bartzokas , JH Paton , MF Gibson , F Graham , GA McLoughlin RS Croton . Control and eradication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on a surgical unit. N Engl J Med 1984;311:1422–5.
166. R Seropian , BM Reynolds . Wound infections after preoperative depilatory versus razor preparation. Am J Surg 1971;121:251–4.
169. G Mehta , B Prakash , S Karmoker . Computer assisted analysis of wound infection in neurosurgery. J Hosp Infect 1988;11:244–52.
170. JW Alexander , JE Fischer , M Boyajian , J Palmquist , MJ Morris . The influence of hair-removal methods on wound infections. Arch Surg 1983;118(3:347–52.
171. TM Masterson , GT Rodeheaver , RF Morgan , RE Edlich Bacteriologie evaluation of electric clippers for surgical hair removal. Am J Surg 1984;148:301–2.
172. JA Sellick Jr., M Stelmach , JM Mylotte . Surveillance of surgical wound infections following open heart surgery. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1991;12(10:591–6.
173. W Ko , WD Lazenby , JA Zelano , W Zsom , KH Krieger . Effects of shaving methods and intraoperative irrigation on suppurative mediastinitis after bypass operations. Ann Thorac Surg 1992;53:301–5.
175. KR Winston Hair and neurosurgery. Neurosurgery 1992;31(2:320–9.
176. E Larson . Guideline for use of topical antimicrobial agents. Am J Infect Control 1988;16:253–66.
182. EJ Lowbury , HA Lilly Use of 4 percent Chlorhexidine detergent solution (Hibiscrub) and other methods of skin disinfection. Br Med J 1973;1:510–5.
186. EJ Lowbury , HA Lilly . The effect of blood on disinfection of surgeons' hands. Br J Surg 1974;61:19–21.
189. DK Gauthier , PT O'Fallon , D Coppage . Clean vs sterile surgical skin preparation kits. Cost, safety, effectiveness. AORN J 1993;58(3:486–95.
190. KS Hagen , J Treston-Aurand . A comparison of two skin preps used in cardiac surgical procedures. AORN J 1995;62(3:393–402.
192. EL Larson , AM Butz , DL Gullette , BA Laughon Alcohol for surgical scrubbing? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1990;11(3):139–43.
193. J Faoagali , J Fong , N George , P Mahoney , V O'Rouke . Comparison of the immediate, residual, and cumulative antibacterial effects of Novaderm R*, Novascrub R*, Betadine Surgical Scrub, Hibiclens, and liquid soap. Am J Infect Control 1995;23(6):337–43.
196. EJ Lowbury , HA Lilly GA Ayliffe Preoperative disinfection of surgeons' bands: use of alcoholic solutions and effects of gloves on skin flora. Br Med J 1974;4:369–72.
, , . ;:–.199. HA Lilly EJ Lowbury MD Wilkins A Zaggy Delayed antimicrobial effects of skin disinfection by alcohol J Hyg (Land) 1979 82 497500
200. RL Nichols , JW Smith , RY Garcia , RS Waterman , JW Holmes - Current practices of preoperative bowel preparation among North American colorectal surgeons. Clin Infect Dis 1997;24:609–19.
201. JJ Wade , MW Casewell . The evaluation of residual antimicrobial activity on hands and its clinical relevance. J Hosp Infect 1991;18(Suppl B):23–8.
202. JR Babb , JG Davies , GA Ayliffe A test procedure for evaluating surgical hand disinfection. J Hosp Infect 1991;18(Suppl B):41–9.
203. PM Holloway , JH Piatt , G Reybrouck , HA Lilly S Mehtar , Y Drabu . A multi-centre evaluation of two chlorhexidine-containing formulations for surgical hand disinfection. J Hosp Infect 1990;16:151–9.
204. H Kobayashi . Evaluation of surgical scrubbing. J Hosp Infect 1991;18(Suppl B):29–34.
205. G Nicoletti , V Boghossian , R Borland Hygienic hand disinfection: a comparative study with Chlorhexidine detergents and soap. J Hosp Infect 1990;15:323–37.
206. ML Rotter , W Koller . Surgical hand disinfection: effect of sequential use of two Chlorhexidine preparations. J Hosp Infect 1990;16:161–6.
207. M O'shaughnessy , VP O'Malley , G Corbett , HE Given Optimum duration of surgical scrub-time. Br J Surg 1991;78(6:685–6.
208. V Hingst , I Juditzki , P Heeg , HG Sonntag . Evaluation of the efficacy of surgical hand disinfection following a reduced application time of 3 instead of 5 min. J Hosp Infect 1992;20(2:79–86.
209. SM Wheelock , S Lookinland . Effect of surgical hand scrub time on subsequent bacterial growth. AORN J 1997;65:1087–92,1094-8.
, , . . ;:.213. J Pottinger S Burns C Manske Bacterial carriage by artificial versus natural nails Am J Infect Control 1989 17 3404
214. DJ Passaro , L Waring , R Armstrong , F Bolding , C Bouvier , J Rosenberg , et al. Postoperative Serratia marcescens wound infections traced to an out-of-hospital source. J Infect Dis 1997;175(4:992–5.
215. CA Baumgartner CS Maragos , J Walz , E Larson . Effects of nail polish on microbial growth of fingernails. Dispelling sacred cows. AORN J 1993;58:84–8.
216. G Jacobson , JE Thiele , JH McCune , LD Farrell . Handwashing: ring-wearing and number of microorganisms. Nurs Res 1985;34:186–8.
, , , . . ;:–7.217. PN Hoffman EM Cooke MR McCarville AM Emmerson Microorganisms isolated from skin under wedding rings worn by hospital staff Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985 290 206
218. HM Richet , C Chidiac , A Prat A Pol M David , M Maccario , et al. Analysis of risk factors for surgical wound infections following vascular surgery. Am J Med 1991;91(Suppl 3B):170S–172S.
221. E Birenbaum , N Linder , N Varsano , R Azar J Kuint , Spierer A et al. Adenovirus type 8 conjunctivitis outbreak in a neonatal intensive care unit. Arch Dis Child 1993;68(5 Spec No):610–1.
222. D Warren , KE Nelson , JA Farrar , E Hurwitz , J Hierholzer , E Ford , et al. A large outbreak of epidemie keratoconjunctivitis: problems in controlling nosocomial spread. J Infect Dis 1989;160:938–43.
223. JA Jernigan BS Lowry , FG Hayden , SA Kyger BP Conway , DH Groschel , et al. Adenovirus type 8 epidemic keratoconjunctivitis in an eye clinic: risk factors and control. J Infect Dis 1993;167:1307–13.
224. JM Boyce . Should we vigorously try to contain and control methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1991;12:46–54.
225. JM Boyce , SM Opal , G Potter-Bynoe , AA Medeiros Spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a hospital after exposure to a health care worker with chronic sinusitis. Clin Infect Dis 1993;17: 496–504.
226. RJ Sheretz , DR Reagan KD Hampton , KL Robertson , SA Streed HM Hoen , et al. A cloud adult: the Staphylococcus awreiis-virus interaction revisited. Ann Intern Med 1996;124:539–47.
228. BN Kreiswirth , GR Kravitz , PM Schlievert , RP Novick . Nosocomial transmission of a strain of Staphylococcus aureus causing toxic shock syndrome. Ann Intern Med 1986;105:704–7.
229. DJ Weber , WA Rutala , FW Denny Jr. Management of healthcare workers with pharyngitis or suspected streptococcal infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:753–61.
230. A Viglionese , VF Nottebart , HA Bodman , R Platt Recurrent group A streptococcal carriage in a health care worker associated with widely separated nosocomial outbreaks. Am J Med 1991;91(3B):329S–33S.
231. SM Paul , C Genese , K Spitalny Postoperative group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus outbreak with the pathogen traced to a member of a healthcare worker's household. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1990;11:643–6.
232. EJ Ridgway , KD Alen . Clustering of group A streptococcal infections on a burns unit: important lessons in outbreak management. J Hosp Infect 1993;25:173–82.
233. RL Berkelman , D Martin , DR Graham , J Mowry , R Freisem , JA Weber , et al. Streptococcal wound infection caused by a vaginal carrier. JAMA 1982;247:2680–2.
234. W Schaffner , LB Lefkowitz Jr., JS Goodman , MG Koenig . Hospital outbreak of infections with group A streptococci traced to an asymptomatic anal carrier. N Engl J Med 1969;280:1224–5.
235. DD Richman , SJ Breton , DA Goldman Scarlet fever and group A streptococcal surgical wound infection traced to an anal carrier. J Pediatr 1977;90:387–90.
236. A Stromberg A Schwan , O Cars . Throat carrier rates of beta-hemolytic streptococci among healthy adults and children. Scand J Infect Dis 1988;20:411–7.
237. WE Stamm , JC Feeley , RR Facklam Wound infection due to group A streptococcus traced to a vaginal carrier. J Infect Dis 1978;138:287–92.
, , , , , , . . ;:–.238. EA Bolyard OC Tablan WW Williams ML Pearson CN Shapiro SD Deitchman et alGuideline for infection control in healthcare personnel, 1998. Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee Am J Infect Control 1998 26 289354
240. RL Nichols , JW Smith , AC Muzik , EJ Love , NE McSwain , G Timberlake , et al. Preventive antibiotic usage in traumatic thoracic injuries requiring closed tube thoracostomy. Chest 1994;106(5:1493–8.
241. R Bullock , JR van Dellen W Ketelbey , SG Reinach . A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of perioperative prophylactic antibiotics for elective neurosurgery. J Neurosurg 1988;69(5:687–91.
242. CR Page JM Bohnen , JR Fletcher , AT McManus , JS Solomkin , DH Wittmann . Antimicrobial prophylaxis for surgical wounds. Guidelines for clinical care. Arch Surg 1993;128(1:79–88.
243. M McQueen , A Littlejohn SP Hughes . A comparison of systemic cefuroxime and cefuroxime loaded bone cement in the prevention of early infection after total joint replacement. Int Orthop 1987;11:241–3.
251. AB Kaiser , MR Petracek JW Lea 4th, DS Kernodle , AC Roach , WC Alford Jr, et al. Efficacy of cefazolin, cefamandole, and gentamicin as prophylactic agents in cardiac surgery. Results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind trial in 1030 patients. Ann Surg 1987;206(6:791–7.
252. LJ Miedzinski , JC Callaghan , EA Fanning , ET Gelfand , G Goldsand , D Modry , et al. Antimicrobial prophylaxis for open heart operations. Ann Thorac Surg 1990;50:800–7.
254. MS Madsen , L Neumann , JA Andersen Penicillin prophylaxis in complicated wounds of hands and feet: a randomized, double-blind trial. Injury 1996;27(4:275–8.
256. RL Nichols , WR Webb , JW Jones , JW Smith , J LoCicero 3rd. Efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis in high risk gastroduodenal operations. Am J Surg 1982;143:94–8.
258. RF Young , PM Lawner . Perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis for prevention of postoperative neurosurgical infections. A randomized clinical trial. J Neurosurg 1987;66:701–5.
259. M Djindjian , E Lepresle , JB Horns . Antibiotic prophylaxis during prolonged clean neurosurgery. Results of a randomized double-blind study using oxacillin. J Neurosurg 1990;73:383–6.
263. W Browder , JW Smith , LM Vivoda , RL Nicholas . Nonperforative appendicitis: a continuing surgical dilemma. J Infect Dis 1989;159(6:1088–94.
265. PJ Sanderson . Antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery: microbiological factors. J Antimicrob Chemother 1993;31(Suppl B):1–9.
269. NJ Ehrenkranz . Antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery: mechanisms, misconceptions, and mischief. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1993;14(2:99–106.
271. NJ Ehrenkranz , WC Blackwelder , SJ Pfaff , D Poppe , DE Yerg , RA Kaslow . Infections complicating low-risk cesarean sections in community hospitals: efficacy of antimicrobial prophylaxis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990;162(2:337–43.
272. DE Soper . Infections following cesarean section. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 1993;5(4:517–20.
275.The Multicenter Study Group. Single dose prophylaxis in patients undergoing vaginal hysterectomy: cefamandole versus cefotaxime. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989;160:1198–201.
276. S Roy , J Wilkins , E Galaif , C Azen . Comparative efficacy and safety of cefmetazole or cefoxitin in the prevention of postoperative infection following vaginal and abdominal hysterectomy. J Antimicrob Chemother 1989;23(Suppl D):109–17.
277. S Friese , FT Willems , SM Loriaux , JM Meewis . Prophylaxis in gynaecological surgery: a prospective randomized comparison between single dose prophylaxis with amoxycillin/clavulanate and the combination of cefuroxime and metronidazole. J Antimicrob Chemother 1989;24(Suppl B):213–6.
278. CC Senior , SJ Steigrad . Are preoperative antibiotics helpful in abdominal hysterectomy? Am J Obstet Gynecol 1986;154:1004–8.
280. DL Hemsell , PG Hemsell , ML Heard , BJ Nobles . Preoperative cefoxitin prophylaxis for elective abdominal hysterectomy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1985;153:225–6.
281. JT DiPiro , RP Cheung , TA Bowden Jr, JA Mansberger . Single dose systemic antibiotic prophylaxis of surgical wound infections. Am J Surg 1986;152:552–9.
284. RL Nichols . Surgical antibiotic prophylaxis. Med Clin North Am 1995;79(3:509–22.
285. DC Classen , RS Evans , SL Pestotnik , SD Horn , RL Menlove , JP Burke . The timing of prophylactic administration of antibiotics and the risk of surgical-wound infection. N Engl J Med 1992;326(5:281–6.
, , , . . ;:–96.286. M McDonald E Grabsch C Marshall A Forbes Single- versus multiple-dose antimicrobial prophylaxis for major surgery: a systematic review Aust NZJ Surg 1998 68 388
287. JS Clarke , RE Condon , JG Bartlett , SL Gorbach , RL Nichols , S Ochi . Preoperative oral antibiotics reduce septic complications of colon operations: results of prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical study. Ann Surg 1977;186:251–9.
288. RE Condon , JG Bartlett , H Greenlee , WJ Schulte , S Ochi , R Abbe et al. Efficacy of oral and systemic antibiotic prophylaxis in colorectal operations. Arch Surg 1983;118:496–502.
289. JG Bartlett , RE Condon , SL Gorbach , JS Clarke , RL Nichols , S Ochi . Veterans Administration Cooperative Study on bowel preparation for elective colorectal operation: impact of oral antibiotic regimen on colonic flora, wound irrigation cultures and bacteriology of septic complications. Ann Surg 1978;188:249–54.
290. A Da Costa , G Kirkorian , M Cucherat , F Delahaye , P Chevalier , A Cerisier , et al. Antibiotic prophylaxis for permanent pacemaker implantation: a meta-analysis. Circulation 1998;97:1796–801.
292.Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1995;16(2:105–13.
295. GA Ayliffe . Role of the environment of the operating suite in surgical wound infection. Rev Infect Dis 1991;13(Suppl 10):S800–4.
296. PF Gryska , AE O'Dea . Postoperative streptococcal wound infection. The anatomy of an epidemic. JAMA 1970;213:1189–91.
297. DM Mclntyre . An epidemic of Streptococcus pyogenes puerperal and postoperative sepsis with an unusual carrier site—the anus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1968;101:308–14.
302. DI Sessler , J McGuire , J Hynson , A Moayeri , T Heier . Thermoregulatory vasoconstriction during isoflurane anesthesia minimally decreases cutaneous heat loss. Anesthesiology 1992;76:670–5.
303. A Hambraeus Aerobiology in the operating room—a review. J Hosp Infect 1988;11(Suppl A):68–76.
304. JR Babb , P Lynam , GA Ayliffe Risk of airborne transmission in an operating theatre containing four ultraclean air units. J Hosp Infect 1995;31(3:159–68.
306. B Friberg . Ultraclean laminar airflow ORs. AORN J 1998;67:841–51.
310. J Charnley . A clean-air operating enclosure. Br J Surg 1964;51:202–5.
312. GJ Taylor , GC Bannister , JP Leeming Wound disinfection with ultraviolet radiation. J Hosp Infect 1995;30(2:85–93.
313. A Bueno Cavanillas R Rodriguez-Contreras , M Delgado Rodriguez , O Moreno Abril , R Lopez Gigosos , J Guillen Solvas , et al. Preoperative stay as a risk factor for nosocomial infection. Eur J Epidemiol 1991;7(6:670–6.
316. JR Rudnick , CM Beck-Sague , RL Anderson , C Schabie , JM Miller , WR Jarvis . Gram-negative bacteremia in open-heart-surgery patients traced to probable tap-water contamination of pressure-monitoring equipment. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17(5:281–5.
318. LE Soto , M Bobadilla , Y Villalobos , J Sifuentes , J Avelar , M Arieta , et al. Post-surgical nasal cellulitis outbreak due to Mycobacterium chelonae. J Hosp Infect 1991;19(2:99–106.
322. WA Rutala MF Gergen , DJ Weber . Evaluation of a rapid readout biological indicator for flash sterilization with three biological indicators and three chemical indicators. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1993;14(7:390–4.
324. WA Rutala , SM Jones , DJ Weber . Comparison of a rapid readout biological indicator for steam sterilization with four conventional biological indicators and five chemical indicators. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:423–8.
325. D Vesley , MA Nellis , PB Allwood . Evaluation of a rapid readout biological indicator for 121 degrees C gravity and 132 degrees C vacuum-assisted steam sterilization cycles. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1995;16:281–6.
326. RF Smith . What is the purpose of the scrub suit? [letter]. AORN J 1980;31(5):769.
327. P Dineen The role of impervious drapes and gowns preventing surgical infection. Clin Orthop 1973;96:210–2.
329. JA Moylan , KT Fitzpatrick , KE Davenport . Reducing wound infections. Improved gown and drape barrier performance. Arch Surg 1987;122:152–7.
331. G Copp , CB Mailhot , M Zalar , L Slezak , AJ Copp . Covergowns and the control of operating room contamination. Nurs Res 1986;35:263–8.
332. WC Beck . The surgical mask: another ‘sacred cow’? AORN J 1992;55:955–7.
333. NJ Mitchell , S Hunt . Surgical face masks in modern operating rooms— a costly and unnecessary ritual? J Hosp Infect 1991;18:239–42.
335. TG Tunevall . Postoperative wound infections and surgical face masks: a controlled study. World J Surg 1991;15:383–8.
337. JT Lee . Making surgical care better: hard work, small gains [editorial]. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997;18:6–8.
338. WR Jarvis , EA Bolyard , CJ Bozzi , DR Burwen , SW Dooley , LS Martin , et al. Respirators, recommendations, and regulations: the controversy surrounding protection of health care workers from tuberculosis. Ann Intern Med 1995;122:142–6.
340. H Humphreys , RJ Marshall , VE Ricketts , AJ Russell , DS Reeves . Theatre over-shoes do not reduce operating theatre floor bacterial counts. J Hosp Infect 1991;17:117–23.
341. NC Weightman , KR Banfield . Protective over-shoes are unnecessary in a day surgery unit. J Hosp Infect 1994;28:1–3.
342. W Whyte , A Hambraeus , G Laurell , J Hoborn . The relative importance of routes and sources of wound contamination during general surgery. I. Non-airborne. J Hosp Infect 1991;18(2:93–107.
343. RD Dodds , PJ Guy , AM Peacock , SR Duffy , SG Barker , MH Thomas . Surgical glove perforation. Br J Surg 1988;75(10:966–8.
344. JI Tokars , DH Culver , MH Mendelson , EP Sloan , BF Farber , DJ Fligner , et al. Skin and mucous membrane contacts with blood during surgical procedures: risk and prevention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1995;16:703–11.
345. LJ Short , DM Bell . Risk of occupational infection with blood-borne pathogens in operating and delivery room settings. Am J Infect Control 1993;21:343–50.
346. RA Garibaldi , S Maglio , T Lerer , D Becker , R Lyons . Comparison of nonwoven and woven gown and drape fabric to prevent intraoperative wound contamination and postoperative infection. Am J Surg 1986;152(5:505–9.
348. JW Smith , RL Nichols . Barrier efficiency of surgical gowns. Are we really protected from our patients' pathogens? Arch Surg 1991;126(6): 756–63.
, , . ;(:–.349. CP Artz JH Conn HS Howard Protection of the surgical wound with a new plastic Om JAMA 1960 174 14 18658
350. KY Chiu , SK Lau , B Fung , KH Ng , SP Chow . Plastic adhesive drapes and wound infection after hip fracture surgery. Aust N Z J Surg 1993;63(10:798–801.
353. EA McCullough Methods for determining the barrier efficacy of surgical gowns. Am J Infect Control 1993;21:368–74.
355. JW Granzow , JW Smith , RL Nichols , RS Waterman , AC Muzik . Evaluation of the protective value of hospital gowns against blood strike-through and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus penetration Am J Infect Control 1998;26:85–93.
357. RW Payne . Severe outbreak of surgical sepsis due to Staphylococcus aureus of unusual type and origin. Br Med J 1967;4:17–20.
360. SN Bennett , MM McNeil , LA Bland MJ Arduino , ME Villarino , DM Perrotta , et al. Postoperative infections traced to contamination of an intravenous anesthetic, propofol. N Engl J Med 1995;333:147–54.
, , . . ;:.363. MJ Daily JB Dickey KH Packo Endogenous endophthalmitis after intravenous anesthsia with propofolCandida Arch Ophthalmol 1991 109 10814
. . ;:–3.370. GC Blomstedt Infections in neurosurgery: a randomized comparison between silk and polyglycolic acid Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1985 76 90
373. CC Chu , DE Williams Effects of physical configuration and chemical structure of suture materials on bacterial adhesion. A possible link to wound infection. Am J Surg 1984;147:197–204.
374. AR Askew A comparison of upper abdominal wound closure with monofilament nylon and polyglycolic acid. Aust N Z J Surg 1983;53:353–6.
375. CR Kapadia , JB Mann , D McGeehan , JE Jose Biglin , BP Waxman , HA Dudley Behaviour of synthetic absorbable sutures with and without synergistic enteric infection. Eur Surg Res 1983;15:67–72.
376. TE Bucknall , L Teare , H Ellis . The choice of a suture to close abdominal incisions. Eur Surg Res 1983;15:59–66.
382. CJ Drinkwater , MJ Neil . Optimal timing of wound drain removal following total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1995;10(2:185–9.
383. SG Tollofsrud , Y Gundersen , R Andersen . Perioperative hypothermia. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1984;28:511–5.
384. DI Sessler . Mild perioperative hypothermia. N Engl J Med 1997;336(24:1730–7.
385. A Kurz DI Sessler , R Lenhardt Perioperative normothermia to reduce the incidence of surgical-wound infection and shorten hospitalization. Study of Wound Infection and Temperature Group. N Engl J Med 1996;334(19:1209–15.
386. TK Hunt HW Hopf . Wound healing and wound infection. What surgeons and anesthesiologists can do. Surg Clin North Am 1997;77: 587–606.
387. C Wenisch , E Narzt , DI Sessler , B Parschalk , R Lenhardt , A Kurz , et al. Mild intraoperative hypothermia reduces production of reactive oxygen intermediates by polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Anesth Analg 1996;82:810–6.
388. K Jonsson , TK Hunt , SJ Mathes . Oxygen as an isolated variable influences resistance to infection. Ann Surg 1988;208:783–7.
389. K Jonsson , JA Jensen WH Goodson 3d, JM West , TK Hunt Assessment of perfusion in postoperative patients using tissue oxygen measurements. Br J Surg 1987;74:263–7.
390. N Chang , WH Goodson 3d, F Gottrup , TK Hunt . Direct measurement of wound and tissue oxygen tension in postoperative patients. Ann Surg 1983;197:470–8.
391. DR Knighton B Halliday , TK Hunt Oxygen as an antibiotic. The effect of inspired oxygen on infection. Arch Surg 1984;119:199–204.
392. T Ikeda , F Tayefeh , DI Sessler , A Kurz , Plattner 0, C Petschnigg , et al. Local radiant heating increases subcutaneous oxygen tension. Am J Surg 1998;175:33–7.
399. RE Condon , WJ Schulte , MA Malangoni , MJ Anderson-Teschendorf . Effectiveness of a surgical wound surveillance program. Arch Surg 1983;118:303–7.
401. ES Lennard , CO Hargiss , FD Schoenknecht . Postoperative wound infection surveillance by use of bacterial contamination catgeories. Am J Infect Control 1985;13:147–53.
402. MM Olson , JT Lee Jr. Continuous, 10-year wound infection surveillance. Results, advantages, and unanswered questions. Arch Surg 1990;125:794–803.
403. M Olson , MO O'Connor , ML Schwartz . Surgical wound infections. A 5-year prospective study of 20,193 wounds at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center. Ann Surg 1984;199:253–9.
404. JA Weigelt . Risk of wound infections in trauma patients. Am J Surg 1985;150:782–4.
405. JA Weigelt , RW Haley , C Seibert . Factors which influence the risk of wound infection in trauma patients. J Trauma 1987;27(7:774–81.
407. WD Owens . ASA physical status classification: a study on consistency of ratings. Anesthesiology 1978;49:239–43.
408.National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. Nosocomial infection rates for interhospital comparison: limitations and possible solutions. A report from tbe National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1991;12: 609–21.
409. DM Cardo , PS Falk , CG Mayhall . Validation of surgical wound surveillance. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1993;14:211–5.
411. RL Nichols , JW Smith , DB Klein , DD Trunkey , RH Cooper , MF Adinolfi , et al. Risk of infection after penetrating abdominal trauma. N Engl J Med 1984;311:1065–70.
412. RL Nichols , JW Smith , GD Robertson , AC Muzik , P Pearce , V Ozmen , et al. Prospective alterations in therapy for penetrating abdominal trauma. Arch Surg 1993;128:55–64.
415. TC Lee . Surveillance in acute care and nonacute care settings: current issues and concepts. Am J Infect Control 1997;25(2:121–4.
417. PB Mead , SE Pories , E Hall PM Vacek , JH Davis Jr, RL Gamelli . Decreasing the incidence of surgical wound infections. Validation of a surveillance-notification program. Arch Surg 1986;121:458–61.
421. SG Mulholland , J Creed , LA Dierauf JN Bruun , WS Blakemore . Analysis and significance of nosocomial infection rates. Ann Surg 1974;180:827–30.
423. E Simchen , JM Shapiro , J Michel , T Sacks . Multivariate analysis of determinants of postoperative wound infection: a possible basis for intervention. Rev Infect Dis 1981;3(4:678–82.
425. NJ Ehrenkranz , JM Shultz , EL Richter . Recorded criteria as a “gold standard” for sensitivity and specificity estimates of surveillance of nosocomial infection: a novel method to measure job performance. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1995;16:697–702.
426. LR Hirschhorn , JS Currier , R Platt . Electronic surveillance of antibiotic exposure and coded discharge diagnoses as indicators of postoperative infection and other quality assurance measures. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1993;14:21–8.
427. E Simchen , Y Wax , B Pevsner , M Erdal , Michel j; M Modan , et al. The Israeli Study of Surgical Infections (ISSI): I. Methods for developing a standardized surveillance system for a multicenter study of surgical infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1988;9(6:232–40.
428. SJ Burns , SE Dippe . Postoperative wound infections detected during hospitalization and after discharge in a community hospital. Am J Infect Control 1982;10(2:60–5.
429. LB Laxson , MJ Blaser , SM Parkhurst . Surveillance for the detection of nosocomial infections and the potential for nosocomial outbreaks. Am J Infect Control 1984;12(6:318–24.
430. R Mertens , C Jans , X Kurz . A computerized nationwide network for nosocomial infection surveillance in Belgium. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15:171–9.
431. NJ Ehrenkranz . Surgical wound infection occurrence in clean operations; risk stratification for interhospital comparisons. Am J Med 1981;(70):909–14.
432. C Baker , J Luce , C Chenoweth , C Friedman . Comparison of case-finding methodologies for endometritis after cesarean section. Am J Infect Control 1995;23:27–33.
434. TC Horan , TG Emori . Definitions of key terms used in the NNIS system. Am J Infect Control 1997;25:112–6.
436. RJ Salem , J Johnson , P Devitt . Short term metronidazole therapy contrasted with povidone-iodine spray in the prevention of wound infection after appendicectomy. Br J Surg 1979;66:430–1.
438. RB Brown , S Bradley , E Opitz , D Cipriani , R Pieczarka , M Sands . Surgical wound infections documented after hospital discharge. Am J Infect Control 1987;15:54–8.
439. LL Rosendorf , J Octavio , JE Estes Effect of methods of postdischarge wound infection surveillance on reported infection rates. Am J Infect Control 1983;11(6):226–9.
, , , , , . ;:.440. EM Ferraz AA Ferraz HS Coelho V Pereira Viana SM Sobral MD Vasconcelos et alPostdischarge surveillance for nosocomial wound infection: does judicious monitoring find cases? Am J Infect Control 1995 23 2904
441. K Andenaes , PF Amland , E Lingaas , F Abyholm , F Samdai , KE Giercksky . A prospective, randomized surveillance study of postoperative wound infections after plastic surgery: a study of incidence and surveillance methods. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995;96(4:948–56.
, . . ;:.443. FA Manian L Meyer Adjunctive use of monthly physician questionnaires for surveillance of surgical site infections after hospital discharge and in ambulatory surgical patients: report of a seven-year experience Am J Infect Control 1997 25 3904
444. FA Manian , L Meyer . Comparison of patient telephone survey with traditional surveillance and monthly physician questionnaires in monitoring surgical wound infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1993;14:216–8.
446. K Sands , G Vineyard , R Platt . Surgical site infections occuring after hospital discharge. J Infect Dis 1996;173:963–70.
447. JA Weigelt , D Dryer , RW Haley . The necessity and efficiency of wound surveillance after discharge. Arch Surg 1992;127:77–82.
448. D Gravel-Tropper , C Oxley , Z Memish , GE Garber . Underestimation of surgical site infection rates in obstetrics and gynecology. Am J Infect Control 1995;23:22–6.
450. IJ Hulton , RN Olmsted , J Treston-Aurand , CP Craig . Effect of postdischarge surveillance on rates of infectious complications after cesarean section. Am J Infect Control 1992;20:198–201.
452. IA Donovan , D Ellis , D Gatehouse , G Little , R Grimley , S Armistead , et al. One-dose antibiotic prophylaxis against wound infection after appen-dicectomy: a randomized trial of clindamycin, cefazolin sodium and a placebo. Br J Surg 1979;66:193–6.
453. T Bates , RH Down , MC Houghton , GJ Lloyd . Topical ampicillin in the prevention of wound infection after appendicectomy. Br J Surg 1974;61:489–92.
456. KF Holbrook , VF Nottebart , SR Hameed , R Platt Automated postdischarge surveillance for postpartum and neonatal nosocomial infections. Am J Med 1991;91 (Suppl 3B):125S–30S.
457. D Zoutman , P Pearce , M McKenzie , G Taylor . Surgical wound infections occuring in day surgery patients. Am J Infect Control 1990;18: 277–82.
458. M Seaman , R Lammers . Inability of patients to self-diagnose wound infections. J Emerg Med 1991;9:215–9.
459. IA Goulbourne , CV Ruckley . Operations for hernia and varicose veins in a day-bed unit. Br Med J 1979;2:712–4.
461. E Flanders , JR Hinnant . Ambulatory surgery postoperative wound surveillance. Am J Infect Control 1990;18(5:336–9.
462. LO Gentry , BJ Zeluff , DA Cooley . Antibiotic prophylaxis in open-heart surgery: a comparison of cefamandole, cefuroxime, and cefazolin. Ann Thorac Surg 1988;46:167–71.
464. SJ Haines , CC Walters . Antibiotic prophylaxis for cerebrospinal fluid shunts: a metanalysis. Neurosurgery 1994;34(1:87–92.
465. JM Langley , JC LeBlanc , J Drake , R Milner Efficacy of antimicrobial prophylaxis in placement of cerebrospinal fluid shunts: meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 1993;17:98–103.
468. KC Kent , S Bartek , KM Kuntz , E Anninos , JJ Skillman . Prospective study of wound complications in continuous infrainguinal incisions after lower limb arterial reconstruction: incidence, risk factors, and cost Surgery 1996;119(4:378–83.
469. AB Wymenga , JR van Horn , Theeuwes A, HL Muytjens , TJ Slooff . Perioperative factors associated with septic arthritis after arthroplasty. Prospective multicenter study of 362 knee and 2,651 hip operations. Acta Orthop Scand 1992;63(6:665–71.
470. JL Stambough , D Beringer . Postoperative wound infections complicating adult spine surgery. J Spinal Disord 1992;5(3):277–85.
472. KS Nungu , C Olerud , L Rehnberg S Larsson , P Nordell , I Allvin , et al. Prophylaxis with oral Cefadroxil versus intravenous cefuroxime in trochanteric fracture surgery. A clinical multicentre study. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1995;114(6:303–7.
473. CW Norden . Antibiotic prophylaxis in orthopedic surgery. Rev Infect Dis 1991;13(Suppl 10):S842–6.
474. R Aznar M Mateu , JM Miro , JM Gatell , JM Gimferrer , E Aznar , et al. Antibiotic prophylaxis in non-cardiac thoracic surgery: cefazolin versus placebo. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1991;5:515–8.
475. PJ Cant , S Smyth , DO Smart . Antibiotic prophylaxis is indicated for chest stab wounds requiring closed tube thoracostomy. Br J Surg 1993;80:464–6.
476. HA Pitt , RG Postier , AW MacGowan , LW Frank , AJ Surmak , JV Sitzman , et al. Prophylactic antibiotics in vascular surgery. Topical, systemic, or both? Ann Surg 1980;192:356–64.
477. AB Kaiser , KR Clayson , JL Mulherin Jr, AC Roach , TR Allen , WH Edwards , et al. Antibiotic prophylaxis in vascular surgery. Ann Surg 1978;188:283–9.
478. T Bauer , B Vennits , B Holm , J Hahn-Pedersen , D Lysen , H Galatius , et al. Antibiotic prophylaxis in acute nonperforated appendicitis. The Danish Multicenter Study Group II. Ann Surg 1989;209:307–11.
479. D Skipper , AP Corder , SJ Karran . A randomized prospective study to compare ceftizoxime with cephradine as single dose prophylaxis in elective cholecystectomy. J Hosp Infect 1991;17:303–6.
480. Z Kaufman , M Engelberg , A Eliashiv , R Reiss Systemic prophylactic antibiotics in elective biliary surgery. Arch Surg 1984;119:1002–4.
482. RT Lewis , RG Goodall , C Marien , M Park , W Lloyd-Smith , FM Wiegand . Biliary bacteria, antibiotic use, and wound infection in surgery of the gallbladder and common bile duct. Arch Surg 1987;122:44–7.
484. WS Meijer , PI Schmitz , J Jeekel . Meta-analysis of randomized, controlled clinical trials of antibiotic prophylaxis in biliary tract surgery. Br J Surg 1990;77:283–90.
485. AB Kaiser , JL Herrington Jr, JK Jacobs JL Mulherin Jr, AC Roach , JL Sawyers . Cefoxitin versus erythromycin, neomycin, and cefazolin in colorectal operations. Importance of the duration of the surgical procedure. Ann Surg 1983;198:525–30.
486. DJ Schoetz Jr, PL Roberts , JJ Murray , JA Coller , MC Veidenheimer . Addition of parenteral cefoxitin to regimen of oral antibiotics for elective colorectal operations. A randomized prospective study. Ann Surg 1990;212:209–12.
487. HT Edmondson , JP Passing . Prophylactic antibiotics in colon surgery. Arch Surg 1983;118:227–31.
490. DG Maki , DR Aughey Comparative study of cefazolin, cefoxitin, and ceftizoxime for surgical prophylaxis in colo-rectal surgery. J Antimicrob Chemother 1982;10(Suppl C):281–7.
491. N Rotman , JM Hay , F Lacaine , PL Fagniez , The Association de Recherche en Chirurgie Cooperative Group. Prophylactic antibiothera-py in abdominal surgery. First- vs third-generation cephalosporins. Arch Surg 1989;124:323–7.
493. CS McArdle , CG Morran , JR Anderson L Pettit , CG Gemmell , JD Sleigh , et al. Oral ciprofloxacin as prophylaxis in gastroduodenal surgery. J Hosp Infect 1995;30(3:211–6.
494. JR Grandis RM Vickers , JD Rihs , VL Yu , JT Johnson , Efficacy of topical amoxicillin plus clavulanate/ticarcillin plus clavulanate and clindamycin in contaminated head and neck surgery: effect of antibiotic spectra and duration of therapy. J Infect Dis 1994;170:729–32.
495. JT Johnson , VL Yu , EN Myers , RL Wagner An assessment of the need for gram-negative bacterial coverage in antibiotic prophylaxis for oncological head and neck surgery. J Infect Dis 1987;155(2:331–3.