This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
5. JM Perrin , SR Bloom , SL Gortmaker . The increase of childhood chronic conditions in the United States. JAMA 200727;297(24):2755–2759.
8. M Kulich , M Rosenfeld , CH Goss , R Wilmott . Improved survival among young patients with cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr 2003;142(6):631–636.
9. JD Siegel , E Rhinehart , M Jackson , L Chiarello ; Health Care Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. 2007 guide-line for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(10 suppl 2):S65–S164.
17. TJ Sandora , EM Taveras , MC Shih , et al.A randomized, controlled trial of a multifaceted intervention including alcohol-based hand sanitizer and hand-hygiene education to reduce illness transmission in the home. Pediatrics 2005;116(3):587–594.
18. M Talaat , S Afifi , E Dueger , et al.Effects of hand hygiene campaigns on incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza and absenteeism in schoolchildren, Cairo, Egypt. Emerg Infect Dis 2011;17(4):619–625.
19. C White , R Kolble , R Carlson , et al.The effect of hand hygiene on illness rate among students in university residence halls. Am J Infect Control 2003;31(6):364–370.
20. PJ Mott , BW Sisk , JW Arbogast , C Ferrazzano-Yaussy , CA Bondi , JJ Sheehan . Alcohol-based instant hand sanitizer use in military settings: a prospective cohort study of army basic trainees. Mil Med 2007;172(11):1170–1176.
22. B Bean , BM Moore , B Sterner , LR Peterson , DN Gerding , HH Balfour Jr. Survival of influenza viruses on environmental surfaces. J Infect Dis 1982;146(1):47–51.
25. UB Zeilhofer , B Frey , J Zandee , V Bernet . The role of critical incident monitoring in detection and prevention of human breast milk confusions. Eur J Pediatr 2009;168(10):1277–1279.
27. J Goddard , R deShazo . Bed bugs (Cimex lectularius) and clinical consequences of their bites. JAMA 2009;301(13):1358–1366.
33.National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) system report, data summary from October 1986–April 1998, issued June 1998. Am J Infect Control 1998;26(5):522–533.
34. DV Brito , EJ Oliveira , C Matos , VO Abdallah , PP Gontijo Filho . An outbreak of conjunctivitis caused by multiresistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a Brazilian newborn intensive care unit. Braz J Infect Dis 2003;7(4):234–235.
35. J Haas , E Larson , B Ross , B See , L Saiman . Epidemiology and diagnosis of hospital-acquired conjunctivitis among neonatal intensive care unit patients. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2005;24(7):586–589.
36. T Ariga , Y Shimada , K Ohgami , et al.New genome type of adenovirus serotype 4 caused nosocomial infections associated with epidemic conjunctivitis in Japan. J Clin Microbiol 2004;42(8):3644–3648.
37. D Wu , CW Ke , YL Mo , et al.Multiple outbreaks of acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis due to a variant of coxsackievirus A24: Guangdong, China, 2007. J Med Virol 2008;80(10):1762–1768.
39. K Park , K Lee , J Lee , et al.Acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis epidemic caused by coxsackievirus A24 variants in Korea during 2002–2003. J Med Virol 2006;78(1):91–97.
41. M Martin , JH Turco , ME Zegans , et al.An outbreak of conjunctivitis due to atypical Streptococcus pneumoniae. N Engl J Med 2003;348(12):1112–1121.
42. NF Crum , CP Barrozo , FA Chapman , MA Ryan , KL Russell . An outbreak of conjunctivitis due to a novel unencapsulated Streptococcus pneumoniae among military trainees. Clin Infect Dis 2004;39(8):1148–1154.
57. BL Frankowski , JA Bocchini Jr Council on School Health and Committee on Infectious Diseases. Head lice. Pediatrics 2010;126(2):392–403.
62. SA Fritz , MJ Krauss , EK Epplin , et al.The natural history of contemporary Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization in community children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2011;30(4):349–351.
63. S Lacey , D Flaxman , J Scales , A Wilson . The usefulness of masks in preventing transient carriage of epidemic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by healthcare workers. J Hosp Infect 2001;48(4):308–311.
64. JW Gray , RH George . Experience of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in a children's hospital. J Hosp Infect 2000;45(1):11–18.
65. AC Tsiatis , B Manes , C Calder , D Billheimer , KS Wilkerson , H Frangoul . Incidence and clinical complications of vancomycin-resistant enterococcus in pediatric stem cell transplant patients. Bone Marrow Transplant 2004;33(9):937–941.
67. D Jenkinson . Duration of effectiveness of pertussis vaccine: evidence from a 10 year community study. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1988;296(6622):612–614.
68. JD Cherry . Epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory aspects of pertussis in adults. Clin Infect Dis 1999;28(suppl 2):S112–S117.
70. N Khetsuriani , K Bisgard , DR Prevots , et al.Pertussis outbreak in an elementary school with high vaccination coverage. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2001;20(12):1108–1112.
71. I Srugo , D Benilevi , R Madeb , et al.Pertussis infection in fully vaccinated children in day-care centers, Israel. Emerg Infect Dis 2000;6(5):526–529.
72. MC Fisher , SS Long , KL McGowan , E Kaselis , DG Smith . Outbreak of pertussis in a residential facility for handicapped people. J Pediatr 1989;114(6):934–939.
73. J Yeh , RE Batt . Contingency plans and the sniffles. Acad Med 2006;81(4):325.
75. KM Bisgard , FB Pascual , KR Ehresmann , et al.Infant pertussis: who was the source? Pediatr Infect Dis J 2004;23(11):985–989.
78. WG Nichols , T Gooley , M Boeckh . Community-acquired respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza virus infections after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center experience. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2001;7(suppl):11S–15S.
82. BM Andersen , H Haugen , M Rasch , A Heldal Haugen , A Tageson . Outbreak of scabies in Norwegian nursing homes and home care patients: control and prevention. J Hosp Infect 2000;45(2): 160–164.
93. AH Ross . Modification of chicken pox in family contacts by administration of gamma globulin. N Engl J Med 1962;267:369–376.
94. L Saidel-Odes , A Borer , K Riesenberg , et al.An outbreak of varicella in staff nurses exposed to a patient with localized herpes zoster. Scand J Infect Dis 2010;42(8):620–622.
95. AS Lopez , A Burnett-Hartman , R Nambiar , et al.Transmission of a newly characterized strain of varicella-zoster virus from a patient with herpes zoster in a long-term-care facility, West Virginia, 2004. J Infect Dis 2008;197(5):646–653.
97. CS Price , WW Thompson , B Goodson , et al.Prenatal and infant exposure to thimerosal from vaccines and immunoglobulins and risk of autism. Pediatrics 2010;126(4):656–664.
100. J Puig-Barbera . Reduction in hospital admissions for pneumonia in non-institutionalised elderly people as a result of influenza vaccination: a case-control study in Spain. J Epidemiol Community Health 1997;51:526.
101. TA Reichert . The Japanese experience with vaccinating school-children against influenza. N Engl J Med 2001;344:889.
102. PA Piedra . Herd immunity in adults against influenza-related illnesses with use of the trivalent-live attenuated influenza vaccine (CAIV-T) in children. Vaccine 2005;23:1540.
104. AP Grizas , D Camenga , M Vazquez . Cocooning: a concept to protect young children from infectious diseases. Curr Opin Pediatr 2012;24(1):92–97.