This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. E Zimlichman , D Henderson , O Tamir , et al. Health care-associated infections: a meta-analysis of costs and financial impact on the US health care system. JAMA Intern Med 2013, Sep 2, doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.9763.
7. GM Lee , CW Hartmann , D Graham , et al. Perceived impact of the Medicare policy to adjust payment for health care-associated infections. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:314–319.
11. AJ Mangram , TC Horan , ML Pearson , et al, and the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Guideline for prevention of surgical site infection, 1999. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1999;20:247–278.
15. SH Cohen , DN Gerdíng , S Johnson , et al. Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010;31(5):431–455.
16. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , GE Vist , et al. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 2008;336(7650):924–926.
18. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al. An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2725–2732.
19. MR Miller , M Griswold , JM Harris II, et al. Decreasing PICU catheter-associated bloodstream infections: NACHRľs quality transformation efforts. Pediatrics 2010;125:206–213.
20. SM Berenholtz , LH Lubomski , K Weeks , et al, on behalf of the On the CUSP: Stop BSI program. Eliminating central line-associated bloodstream infections: a national patient safety imperative. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35(1):56–62.
22. SM Berenholtz , JC Pham , DA Thompson , et al. Collaborative cohort study of an intervention to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia in the intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011;32:305–314.
24. RM Crolla , van der L Laan , EJ Veen , et al. Reduction of surgical site infections after implementation of a bundle of care. PLoS One 2012;7:e44599.
25. EC Wick , DB Hobson , JL Bennett , et al. Implementation of a surgical comprehensive unit-based safety program to reduce surgical site infections. J Am Coll Surg 2012;215:193–200.
27. PJ Pronovost . Navigating adaptive challenges in quality improvement. BMJ Qual Safety 2011;20:560–563.
28. P Pronovost , S Berenholtz , D. Needham Translating evidence into practice: a model for large scale knowledge translation. BMJ 2008;337:963–965.
29. P Toltzis , D. Goldmann Rethinking infection prevention research. Lancet 2013;381:1078–1079.
31. PJ Pronovost , CA Goeschel , E Colantuoni , et al. Sustaining reductions in catheter related bloodstream infections in Michigan intensive care units: observational study. BMJ 2010;340:c309.
32. A Lipitz-Snyderman , D Steinwachs , DM Needham , et al. Impact of a statewide intensive care unit quality improvement initiative on hospital mortality and length of stay: retrospective comparative analysis. BMJ 2011;342:d219.
33. HR Waters , R Korn Jr, E Colantuoni , et al. The business case for quality: economic analysis of the Michigan Keystone Patient Safety Program in ICUs. Am J Med Qual 2011;26:333–339.
35. CA Umscheid , MD Mitchell , JA Doshi , R Agarwal , K Williams , PJ Brennan . Estimating the proportion of healthcare-associated infections that are reasonably preventable and the related mortality and costs. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011;32(2):101–114.
36. TR Talbot , DW Bratzier , RM Carrico , et al. Public reporting of healthcare-associated infection data: recommendations from the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Ann Intern Med 2013;159:631–635.