1. DuBose, JR, Matic, Z, Wong Sala, MF, et al. Design strategies to improve healthcare worker safety in biocontainment units: learning from Ebola preparedness. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018;39:961–967.
2. Zimring, C, Denham, ME, Jacob, JT, et al. Evidence-based design of healthcare facilities: opportunities for research and practice in infection prevention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013;34:514–516.
3. Institute of Medicine. Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2001.
4. Zimring, C, Jacob, JT, Denham, ME, et al. The role of facility design in preventing the transmission of healthcare-associated infections: background and conceptual framework. Health Environ Res Design J 2013;7:18–30.
5. Mumma, JM, Durso, FT, Ferguson, AN, et al. Human factors risk analyses of a doffing protocol for Ebola-level personal protective equipment: mapping errors to contamination. Clin Infect Dis 2018;66:950–958.
6. Casanova, LM, Erukunuakpor, K, Kraft, CS, et al. Assessing viral transfer during doffing of Ebola-level personal protective equipment in a biocontainment unit. Clin Infect Dis 2018;66:945–949.
7. Casanova, LM, Erukunuakpor, K, Walsh, VL, et al. Multicenter evaluation of viral self-contamination during doffing of Ebola-level personal protective equipment. Am J Infect Control 2017;45:S17.
8. Leape, LL. Errors in medicine. Clinica Chimica Acta 2009;404:2–5.
9. Verbeek, JH, Ijaz, S, Mischke, C, et al. Personal protective equipment for preventing highly infectious diseases due to exposure to contaminated body fluids in healthcare staff. Cochrane Lib 2016. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD011621.pub2.
10. Clack, L, Schmutz, J, Manser, T, Sax, H. Infectious risk moments: a novel, human factors–informed approach to infection prevention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35:1051–1055.
12. Nevo, I, Fitzpatrick, M, Thomas, R-E, et al. The efficacy of visual cues to improve hand hygiene compliance. Simul Healthcare 2010;5:325–331.
13. Herlihey, TA, Gelmi, S, Cafazzo, JA, Hall, TNT. The impact of environmental design on doffing personal protective equipment in a healthcare environment: a formative human factors trial. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2017:1–6.
14. Endsley, MR. Designing for Situation Awareness: An Approach to User-Centered Design. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2016.