Institute of Medicine (IOM). Emerging infections: microbial threats to health in the United States. National Academeies Press website. www.nap.edu/read/2008/chapter/1. Published 1992. Accessed September 28, 2017.
Kaye, KS, Anderson, DJ, Cook, E, Huang, SS, Siegel, JD, Zuckerman, JM, et al. Guidance for infection prevention and healthcare epidemiology programs: healthcare epidemiologist skills and competencies. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
5. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Emergency Management Institute (EMI). National Incident Management System (NIMS) website. https://training.fema.gov/nims/. Published 2015. Accessed November 2016.
6. Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA). Hospital Incident Command System (HICS) Guidebook, 5th ed., website. Published May 2015. Accessed November 2016.
15. NIMS Training Program website. Federal Emergency Management Agency website. www.fema.gov/training-0. Published 2016. Accessed 2017 February.
CDC, NCIRD. Updated norovirus outbreak management and disease prevention guidelines. MMWR Recomm Rep
23. National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID). Guidance for control of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) tool kit. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. www.cdc.gov/hai/organisms/cre/cre-toolkit/index.html. Published 2015. Accessed November 2016.
Bartlett, JG. Planning for avian influenza. Ann Intern Med
Nhan, C, Laprise, R, Douville-Fradet, M, Macdonald, ME, Quach, C. Coordination and resource-related difficulties encountered by Quebec’s public health specialists and infectious diseases/medical microbiologists in the management of A (H1N1)—a mixed-method, exploratory survey. BMC Public Health
McCullers, JA. Preparing for the next influenza pandemic. Pediatr Infect Dis J
Biological and chemical terrorism: strategic plan for preparedness and response. Recommendations of the CDC Strategic Planning Workgroup. MMWR Recomm Rep
31. Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (OPHPR). Crisis & Emergency Risk Communication (CERC). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. http://emergency.cdc.gov/cerc/index.asp. Published 2016. Accessed November 2016.
34. Selected federal legal authorities pertinent to public health emergencies. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. www.cdc.gov/phlp/docs/ph-emergencies.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed November 2016.
38. Technical resources, assistance center, and information exchange (TRACIE). Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response website. https://asprtracie.hhs.gov/. Published 2015. Accessed January 2017.
40. Institute of Medicine. Guidance for establishing crisis standards of care for use in disaster situations: A letter report. National Academies Press website. www.nap.edu/read/12749/chapter/1#ii. Published 2009. Accessed November 2016.
Bryant, KA, Harris, AD, Gould, CV, et al. Necessary infrastructure of infection prevention and healthcare epidemiology programs: a review. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
Rebmann, T. Assessing hospital emergency management plans: a guide for infection preventionists. Am J Infect Control
Markiewicz, M, Bevc, CA, Hegle, J, Horney, JA, Davies, M, MacDonald, PD. Linking public health agencies and hospitals for improved emergency preparedness: North Carolina’s public health epidemiologist program. BMC Public Health
48. National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD). For clinicians: Evaluating and managing patients exposed to birds infected with avian influenza viruses of public health concern. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/clinicians-evaluating-patients.htm. Published 2016. Accessed November 2016.
Siegel, JD, Rhinehart, E, Jackson, M, Chiarello, L, HICPAC. 2007
Guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings. Am J Infect Control
Garnacho-Montero, J, Dimopoulos, G, Poulakou, G, et al. Task force on management and prevention of Acinetobacter baumannii infections in the ICU. Intensive Care Med
Sandrock, CE. Severe febrile respiratory illnesses as a cause of mass critical care. Respir Care
2008;53:40–53; discussion, 7.
Puro, V, Fusco, FM, Lanini, S, Nisii, C, Ippolito, G. Risk management of febrile respiratory illness in emergency departments. New Microbiol
Brouqui, P. Facing highly infectious diseases: new trends and current concepts. Clin Microbiol Infect
Brett-Major, DM, Jacob, ST, Jacquerioz, FA, et al. Being ready to treat Ebola virus disease patients. Am J Trop Med Hyg
Tompkins, BM, Kerchberger, JP. Special article: personal protective equipment for care of pandemic influenza patients: a training workshop for the powered air purifying respirator. Anesth Analg
Srinivasan, A, McDonald, LC, Jernigan, D, et al. Foundations of the severe acute respiratory syndrome preparedness and response plan for healthcare facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
61. NCIRD. Interim infection prevention and control recommendations for hospitalized patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/mers/infection-prevention-control.html. Published 2015. Accessed November 2016.
Tomizuka, T, Kanatani, Y, Kawahara, K. Insufficient preparedness of primary care practices for pandemic influenza and the effect of a preparedness plan in Japan: a prefecture-wide cross-sectional study. BMC Fam Pract
Fischer, WA, Weber, DJ, Wohl, DA. Personal protective equipment: protecting health care providers in an Ebola outbreak. Clin Ther
Gamage, B, Moore, D, Copes, R, Yassi, A, Bryce, E, Group BIRPS. Protecting health care workers from SARS and other respiratory pathogens: a review of the infection control literature. Am J Infect Control
Teleman, MD, Boudville, IC, Heng, BH, Zhu, D, Leo, YS. Factors associated with transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome among health-care workers in Singapore. Epidemiol Infect
Sprecher, AG, Caluwaerts, A, Draper, M, et al. personal protective equipment for filovirus epidemics: a call for better evidence. J Infect Dis
Lane, HC, Marston, HD, Fauci, AS. Conducting clinical trials in outbreak settings: points to consider. Clin Trials
Murphy, DM, Hanchett, M, Olmsted, RN, et al. Competency in infection prevention: a conceptual approach to guide current and future practice. Am J Infect Control
72. Disaster Preparedness Program (DPP) Nursing Home Incident Command System. California Association of Health Facilities (CAHF) website. www.cahfdisasterprep.com/nhics. Published 2011. Accessed November 2016.
Beigi, RH, Hodges, J, Baldisseri, M, English, D, Committee M-WHE. Clinical review: considerations for the triage of maternity care during an influenza pandemic—one institution’s approach. Crit Care
Davies, HD, Byington, CL, Diseases, COI. Parental presence during treatment of Ebola or other highly consequential infection. Pediatrics
Chen, WK, Wu, HD, Lin, CC, Cheng, YC. Emergency department response to SARS, Taiwan. Emerg Infect Dis
Mehrotra, P, Shane, AL, Milstone, AM. Family-centered care and high-consequence pathogens: thinking outside the room. JAMA Pediatr
77. Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (OPHPR). Planning resources by setting: long-term, acute, and chronic care. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. www.cdc.gov/phpr/healthcare/planning2.htm. Published 2016. Accessed November 2016.
78. California Department of Public Health (CDPH). California Association of Health Facilities Disaster Preparedness Program (CAHF-DPP). California Association of Health Facilities (CAHF) website. www.cahfdisasterprep.com/. Published 2006. Accessed November 2016.
Tupper, JB, Gray, CE, Pearson, KB, Coburn, AF. Safety of rural nursing home-to-emergency department transfers: improving communication and patient information sharing across settings. J Healthcare Qual
Trick, WE, Lin, MY, Cheng-Leidig, R, et al. Electronic public health registry of extensively drug-resistant organisms, Illinois, USA. Emerg Infect Dis
MacDonald, RD, Farr, B, Neill, M, et al. An emergency medical services transfer authorization center in response to the Toronto severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreak. Prehosp Emergency Care