2. McGann, P, Snesrud, E, Maybank, R, et al.
Escherichia coli harboring mcr-1 and blaCTX-M on a novel IncF plasmid: first report of mcr-1 in the USA. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2016;60:4420–4421.
5. Fleming-Dutra, KE, Hersh, AL, Shapiro, DJ, et al. Prevalence of inappropriate antibiotic prescriptions among US ambulatory care visits, 2010–2011. JAMA 2016;315:1864–1873.
6. Neuzil, KM, Mellen, BG, Wright, PF, Mitchel, EF Jr, Griffin, MR. The effect of influenza on hospitalizations, outpatient visits, and courses of antibiotics in children. N Engl J Med 2000;342:225–231.
7. Barnett, AG, Dobson, AJ. Analysing Seasonal Health Data. 1st ed. New York: Springer; 2010.
8. Christensen, AL, Lundbye-Christensen, S, Dethlefsen, C. Poisson regression models outperform the geometrical model in estimating the peak-to-trough ratio of seasonal variation: a simulation study. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2011;104:333–340.
9. Hankey, BF, Ries, LA, Kosary, CL, et al. Partitioning linear trends in age-adjusted rates. Cancer Cause Control 2000;11:31–35.
10. Hyndman, R, Athanasopoulos, G. Forecasting: principles and practice. OTexts website. https://www.otexts.org/fpp. Published 2013. Accessed on August 2, 2017.
11. Choosing Wisely, an initative of the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation. Choosing Wisely website. http://www.choosingwisely.org/. Accessed August 2, 2017.
13. Suda, KJ, Hicks, LA, Roberts, RM, Hunkler, RJ, Taylor, TH. Trends and seasonal variation in outpatient antibiotic prescription rates in the United States, 2006 to 2010. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2014;58:2763–2766.
14. Hawker, JI, Smith, S, Smith, GE, et al. Trends in antibiotic prescribing in primary care for clinical syndromes subject to national recommendations to reduce antibiotic resistance, UK 1995–2011: analysis of a large database of primary care consultations. J Antimicrob Chemother 2014;69:3423–3430.
15. Lomas, J, Anderson, GM, Domnick-Pierre, K, Vayda, E, Enkin, MW, Hannah, WJ. Do practice guidelines guide practice? The effect of a consensus statement on the practice of physicians. N Engl J Med 1989;321:1306–1311.
16. Oetgen, ME, Blatz, AM, Matthews, A. Impact of clinical practice guideline on the treatment of pediatric femoral fractures in a pediatric hospital. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2015;97:1641–1646.
17. Kwon, AJ, Roshal, M, DeSancho, MT. Clinical adherence to thrombophilia screening guidelines at a major tertiary care hospital. J Thromb Haemost 2016;14:982–986.
18. Meeker, D, Knight, TK, Friedberg, MW, et al. Nudging guideline-concordant antibiotic prescribing: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med 2014;174:425–431.
19. Meeker, D, Linder, JA, Fox, CR, et al. Effect of behavioral interventions on inappropriate antibiotic prescribing among primary care practices: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2016;315:562–570.
20. Gerber, JS, Prasad, PA, Fiks, AG, et al. Effect of an outpatient antimicrobial stewardship intervention on broad-spectrum antibiotic prescribing by primary care pediatricians: a randomized trial. JAMA 2013;309:2345–2352.
21. Sun, L, Klein, EY, Laxminarayan, R. Seasonality and temporal correlation between community antibiotic use and resistance in the United States. Clin Infect Dis 2012;55:687–694.
22. Elseviers, MM, Ferech, M, Vander Stichele, RH, Goossens, H, ESAC project group. Antibiotic use in ambulatory care in Europe (ESAC data 1997–2002): trends, regional differences and seasonal fluctuations. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2007;16:115–123.
23. Achermann, R, Suter, K, Kronenberg, A, et al. Antibiotic use in adult outpatients in Switzerland in relation to regions, seasonality and point of care tests. Clin Microbiol Infect 2011;17:855–661.
24. Patrick, DM, Marra, F, Hutchinson, J, Monnet, DL, Ng, H, Bowie, WR. Per capita antibiotic consumption: How does a North American jurisdiction compare with Europe? Clin Infect Dis 2004;39:11–17.
25. Dagan, R, Barkai, G, Givon-Lavi, N, et al. Seasonality of antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae that causes acute otitis media: a clue for an antibiotic-restriction policy? J Infect Dis 2008;197:1094–1102.
26. Steinman, MA, Gonzales, R, Linder, JA, Landefeld, CS. Changing use of antibiotics in community-based outpatient practice, 1991–1999. Ann Intern Med 2003;138:525–533.
27. Steinman, MA, Sauaia, A, Maselli, JH, Houck, PM, Gonzales, R. Office evaluation and treatment of elderly patients with acute bronchitis. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004;52:875–879.
28. Grijalva, CG, Nuorti, JP, Griffin, MR. Antibiotic prescription rates for acute respiratory tract infections in US ambulatory settings. JAMA 2009;302:758–766.
29. Anderson, DJ, Richet, H, Chen, LF, et al. Seasonal variation in Klebsiella pneumoniae bloodstream infection on 4 continents. J Infect Dis 2008;197:752–756.
30. Eber, MR, Shardell, M, Schweizer, ML, Laxminarayan, R, Perencevich, EN. Seasonal and temperature-associated increases in gram-negative bacterial bloodstream infections among hospitalized patients. PLoS One 2011;6:e25298.
31. Falagas, ME, Peppas, G, Matthaiou, DK, Karageorgopoulos, DE, Karalis, N, Theocharis, G. Effect of meteorological variables on the incidence of lower urinary tract infections. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2009;28:709–712.
32. Cho, Y, Badve, SV, Hawley, CM, et al. Seasonal variation in peritoneal dialysis-associated peritonitis: a multi-centre registry study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2012;27:2028–2036.
33. Wang, X, Towers, S, Panchanathan, S, Chowell, G. A population based study of seasonality of skin and soft tissue infections: implications for the spread of CA-MRSA. PLoS One 2013;8:e60872.
34. Durkin, MJ, Dicks, KV, Baker, AW, et al. Postoperative infection in spine surgery: does the month matter? J Neurosurg Spine 2015;23:128–134.
35. Durkin, MJ, Dicks, KV, Baker, AW, et al. Seasonal variation of common surgical site infections: Does season matter? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015;36:1011–1016.
36. Gruskay, J, Smith, J, Kepler, CK, et al. The seasonality of postoperative infection in spine surgery. J Neurosurg Spine 2013;18:57–62.
37. Gradel, KO, Nielsen, SL, Pedersen, C, et al. Seasonal variation of Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteremia according to acquisition and patient characteristics: a population-based study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016:1–8.
38. Lewis, SS, Walker, VJ, Lee, MS, et al. Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia in community hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35:1452–1457.
39. Beninca, E, van Boven, M, Hagenaars, T, van der Hoek, W. Space-time analysis of pneumonia hospitalisations in the Netherlands. PLoS One 2017;12:e0180797.
40. Dowell, SF, Whitney, CG, Wright, C, Rose, CE Jr, Schuchat, A. Seasonal patterns of invasive pneumococcal disease. Emerg Infect Dis 2003;9:573–579.