Karanika, S, Paudel, S, Grigoras, C, Kalbasi, A, Mylonakis, E. Systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical and economic outcomes from the implementation of hospital-based antimicrobial stewardship programs. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:4840–4852.
Tamma, PD, Avdic, E, Li, DX, Dzintars, K, Cosgrove, SE. association of adverse events with antibiotic use in hospitalized patients. JAMA Intern Med 2017;177:1308–1315.
Zacharioudakis, IM, Zervou, FN, Ziakas, PD, Rice, LB, Mylonakis, E. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci colonization among dialysis patients: a meta-analysis of prevalence, risk factors, and significance. Am J Kidney Dis 2015;65:88–97.
Zacharioudakis, IM, Zervou, FN, Ziakas, PD, Mylonakis, E. Meta-analysis of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization and risk of infection in dialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2014;25:2131–2141.
Song, J., Park, HK, Kang, HK, Lee, J. Proposed risk factors for infection with multidrug-resistant pathogens in hemodialysis patients hospitalized with pneumonia. BMC Infect Dis 2017;17:681–690.
Marston, HD, Dixon, DM, Knisely, JM, Palmore, TN, Fauci, AS. Antimicrobial resistance. JAMA 2016;316:1193–1204.
Baur, D, Gladstone, BP, Burkert, F, et al. Effect of antibiotic stewardship on the incidence of infection and colonisation with antibiotic-resistant bacteria and Clostridium difficile infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2017;17:990–1001.
9. Joint Commission Perspectives, July 2016, vol. 36, issue 7. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: The Joint Commission; 2016.
Snyder, GM, Patel, PR, Kallen, AJ, Strom, JA, Tucker, JK, D’Agata, EM. Antimicrobial use in outpatient hemodialysis units. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013;34:349–357.
Hui, K, Nalder, M, Buising, K, et al. Patterns of use and appropriateness of antibiotics prescribed to patients receiving haemodilaysis: an observational study. BMC Nephrol 2017;18:156.
Snyder, G, Patel, PR, Kallen, AJ, Strom, JA, Tucker, JK, D’Agata, EMC. Factors associated with the receipt of antimicrobials among chronic hemodialysis patients. Am J Infect Control 2016;44:1269–1274.
14. Clinical practice guidelines for vascular access. Am J Kidney Dis 006
2;48 Suppl 1:S176–S247.
Clinical practice guidelines for vascular access. Am J Kidney Dis 2006;48 Suppl 1:S248–S273.
Nicolle, LE, Bradley, S, Colgan, R, Rice, JC, Schaeffer, A, Hooton, TM. Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2005;9:643–654.
17. Mandell, LA, Wunderink, RG, Anzueto, A, et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44 Suppl 2:S27–S72.
Stevens, DL, Bisno, AL, Chambers, HF, et al. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft-tissue infections. Clin Infect Dis 2005;41:1373–1406.
19. Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance. Recommendations of the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). MMWR Recomm Rep 1995;44(RR-12):1–13.
High, KP, Bradley, SF, Gravenstein, S, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the evaluation of fever and infection in older adult residents of long-term care facilities: 2008 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:149–171.
21. Solomkin, JS, Mazuski, JE, Bradley, JS et al. Diagnosis and management of complicated intra-abdominal infection in adults and children: guidelines by the Surgical Infection Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2010;11:79–109.
22. Anderson, DJ, Sexton, DJ.Overview of control measures to prevent surgical site infection. In: Harris A, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: Wolters Kluwer Health; 2012.
Gupta, K, Hooton, TM, Naber, KG et al. International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: a 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Clin Infect Dis 2011;52:e103–e120.
24. Hooton, TM, Bradley, SF, Cardenas, DD, et al. Diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of catheter-associated urinary tract infection in adults: 2009 International Clinical Practice Guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50:625–663.
Mackowiak, PA, Wasserman, SS, Levine, MM. A critical appraisal of 98.6°F, the upper limit of the normal body temperature, and other legacies of Carl Reinhold August Wunderlich. JAMA 1992;268:1578–1580.
Dellinger, EP, Gross, PA, Barrett, TL, et al. Quality standard for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgical procedures. Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 1994;18:422–427.
27. Pascale, RS. The power of positive deviance: how unlikely innovators solve the world’s toughest problems. Boston: Harvard Business School Press. 2010.
28. Downham, G, Jones, E, Peterson, P, et al. Reducing bloodstream infections in an outpatient hemodialysis center—New Jersey, 2008–2011. Morb Mort Weekly Rep 2012;61:169–173.
Lindberg, C, Downham, G, Buscell, P, Jones, E, Peterson, P, Krebs, V. Embracing collaboration: a novel strategy for reducing blood stream infections in outpatient dialysis centers. Am J Infect Control 2013:41:513–519.
Schweizer, ML, Braun, BI, Milstone, AM. Research methods in healthcare epidemiology and antimicrobial stewardship-quasi-experimental designs. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:1135–1140.
31. Wagner, AK, Soumerai, SB, Zhang, F, Ross-Degnan, D. Segmented regression analysis of interrupted time series studies in medication use research. J Clin Pharm Ther 2012;27:299–330.
Schweizer, ML, Furuno, JP, Harris, AD et al. Comparative effectiveness of nafcillin versus vancomycin in methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. BMC Infect Dis 2011;11:279–286.
Stryjewski, ME, Szczech, LA, Benjamin, DK, et al. Use of vancomycin or first-generation cephalosporins for the treatment of hemodialysis-dependent patients with methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:190–196.
Chan, KE, Warren, HS, Thadhani, RI, et al. Prevalence and outcomes of antimicrobial treatment for Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in outpatients with ESRD. J Am Soc Nephrol 2012;23:1551–1559.
Saely, S, Kaye, KS, Fairfax, MR, Chopra, T, Pogue, JM. Investigating the impact of the definition of previous antibiotic exposure related to isolation of extended spectrum β-lactamase–producing Klebsiella pneumoniae
. Am J Infect Control 2011;39:390–395.
Cunha, CB, D’Agata, EMC. Antimicrobial stewardship in out-patient dialysis units. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2016;25:551–555.
Dellit, TH, Owens, RC, McGowan, JE, et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:159–177.
38. D’Agata, EMC. Addressing the problem of multidrug-resistant organisms in dialysis facilities. Clin J Amer Soc Nephrol 2018 (in press).