This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. MJ Richards , JR Edwards , DH Culver , et al.Nosocomial infections in pediatric intensive care units in the United States: National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. Pediatrics 1999;103:e39.
2. I Raad . Intravascular-catheter-related infections. Lancet 1998;351:893–898.
3. N Singh-Naz , BM Sprague , KM Patel , MM Pollack . Risk factors for nosocomial infection in critically ill children: a prospective cohort study. Crit Care Med 1996;24:875–878.
4. J Stockwell . Nosocomial infections in the PICU: affecting the impact on safety and outcome. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2007;8:S21–S37.
5.National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System (NNIS) system report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004. Am J Infect Control 2004;32:470–485.
6. AD Slonim , HC Kurtines , BM Sprague , N Singh . The costs associated with nosocomial bloodstream infections in the pediatric intensive care unit. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2001;2:170–174.
7. DK Warren , JE Zack , MJ Cox , MM Cohen , VJ Fraser . An educational intervention to prevent catheter-associated bloodstream infections in a nonteaching, community medical center. Crit Care Med 2003;31:1959–1963.
8. F Higuera , VD Rosenthal , P Duarte , J Ruiz , G Franco , N Safdar . The effect of process control on the incidence of central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infections and mortality in intensive care units in Mexico. Crit Care Med 2005;33:2022–2027.
9. RD Lobo , AS Levin , LM Brasileiro Gomes , et al. Impact of an educational program and policy changes on decreasing catheter-associated bloodstream infections in a medical intensive care unit in Brazil. Am J Infect Control 2005;33:83–87.
10. SM Berenholtz , PJ Pronovost , PA Lipsett , et al.Eliminating catheter-related bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit. Crif Care Med 2004;32:2014–2020.
11. A Bhutta , C Gilliam , M Honeycutt , et al.Reduction of bloodstream infections associated with catheters in pediatric intensive care unit: stepwise approach. BMJ 2007;334:362–365.
13. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al.An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU (published correction appears in N Engl J Med 2007;356:2660). N Engl J Med 2006;355:2725–2732.
14. NP O'Grady , M Alexander , EP Dellinger , et al.Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections. Pediatrics 2002;110:e51.
15. AM Elward , CS Hollenbeak , DK Warren , VJ Fraser . Attributable cost of nosocomial primary bloodstream infection in pediatric intensive care unit patients. Pediatrics 2005;115:868–872.
17. BW Trautner , RO Darouiche . Catheter-associated infections: pathogenesis affects prevention. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:842–850.
18. C Crnich , D Maki . The promise of novel technology for the prevention of intravascular device-related bloodstream infection. I. Pathogenesis and short-term devices. Clin Infect Dis 2002;34:1232–1242.
19. D Pittet , S Hugonnet , S Harbath , et al.Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene: Infection Control Programme. Lancet 2000;356:1307–1312.
20. EL Larson . APIC guideline for hand washing and hand antisepsis in health care settings. Am J Infect Control 1995;23:251–269.
21. I Raad , D Hohn , B Gilbreath , et al.Prevention of central venous catheter-related infections by using maximal sterile barrier precautions during insertion. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15:231–238.
22. DG Maki , M Ringer , CJ Alvarado . Prospective randomized trial of pov-idone-iodine, alcohol, and Chlorhexidine for prevention of infection associated with central venous and arterial catheters. Lancet 1991;338:339–343.
23. N Chayiakunapruk , DL Veenstra , BA Lipsky , SJ Saint . Chlorhexidine compared with povidone-iodine solution for vascular catheter-site care: a meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2002;136:792–801.
24. FA Lederle , CM Parenti , LC Berskow , KJ Ellingson . The idle intravenous catheter. Ann Intern Med 1992;116:737–738.
25. JM Costello , D Forbes Morrow , DA Graham , G Potter-Bynoe , TJ Sandora , PC Laussen . Systematic intervention to reduce central line-associated bloodstream infection rates in a pediatric cardiac intensive care unit. Pediatrics 2008;121:915–923.
26. PJ Pronovost , DC Angus , T Dorman , et al.Physician staffing patterns and clinical outcomes in critically ill patients: a systematic review. JAMA 2002;288:2151–2162.