This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. BJ Stoll , T Gordon , SB Korones , et al.Late-onset sepsis in very low birth weight neonates: a report from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. J Pediatr 1996;129(1):63–71.
2. BJ Stoll , N Hansen , AA Fanaroff , et al.Late-onset sepsis in very low birth weight neonates: the experience of the NICHD Neonatal Research Network. Pediatrics 2002;110(2):285–291.
4. MJ Bizzarro , C Raskind , RS Baltimore , PG Gallagher . Seventy-five years of neonatal sepsis at Yale: 1928–2003. Pediatrics 2005;116(3):595–602.
5. BJ Stoll , N Hansen . Infections in VLBW infants: studies from the NICHD neonatal research network. Semin Perinatol 2003;27(4):293–301.
6. NR Payne , JH Carpenter , GJ Badger , JD Horbar , J Rogowski . Marginal increase in cost and excess length of stay associated with nosocomial bloodstream infections in surviving very low birth weight infants. Pediatrics 2004;114(2):348–355.
8. JR Edwards , KD Peterson , ML Andrus , et al; NHSN Facilities. National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Report, data summary for 2006, issued June 2007. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(5):290–301.
10. H Aly , V Herson , A Duncan , et al.Is bloodstream infection preventable among premature infants? A tale of two cities. Pediatrics 2005;115:1513–1518.
11.Department of Health. Standard principles for preventing hospital-acquired infections. J Hosp Infect 2001;47(suppl 1):S21–S37.
12.Department of Health. Guidelines for preventing infections associated with the insertion and maintenance of central venous catheters. J Hosp Infect 2001;47(suppl 1):S47–S67.
13. P Eggimann , S Harbarth , MN Constantin , S Touveneau , JC Chevrolet , D Pittet . Impact of a prevention strategy targeted at vascular-access care on incidence of infections acquired in intensive care. Lancet 2000;355:1864–1868.
14. P Eggimann , S Hugonnet , H Sax , S Harbarth , JC Chevrolet , D Pittet . Long-term reduction of vascular access-associated bloodstream infection. Ann Intern Med 2005;142:875–876.
15. AM Kennedy , AM Elward , VJ Fraser . Survey of knowledge, beliefs, and practices of neonatal intensive care unit healthcare workers regarding nosocomial infections, central venous catheter care, and hand hygiene. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004;25:747–752.
18. A Maas , P Flament , A Pardou , A Deplano , M Dramaix , MJ Struelens . Central venous catheter-related bacteraemia in critically ill neonates: risk factors and impact of a prevention programme. J Hosp Infect 1998;40:211–224.
19. NP O'Grady , M Alexander , EP Dellinger , et al; Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter–related infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:759–769.
20. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al.An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2725–2732.
21. RJ Sherertz , EW Ely , DM Westbrook , et al.Education of physicians-intraining can decrease the risk for vascular catheter infection. Ann Intern Med 2000;132:641–648.
22. DG Maki , SS Stolz , S Wheeler , LA Mermel . A prospective, randomized trial of gauze and two polyurethane dressings for site care of pulmonary artery catheters: implications for catheter management. Crit Care Med 1994;22(11):1729–1737.
24. M Evans , D Lentsch . Percutaneously inserted polyurethane central catheters in the NICU: one unit's experience. Neonatal Netw 1999;18(6):37–46.
25. NY Boo , NC Wong , SS Zulkifli , MS Lye . Risk factors associated with umbilical vascular catheter-associated thrombosis in newborn infants. J Paediatr Child Health 1999;35(5):460–465.
26. M Butler-O'Hara , CJ Buzzard , L Reubens , MP McDermott , W DiGrazio , CT D'Angio . A randomized trial comparing long-term and short-term use of umbilical venous catheters in premature infants with birth weights of less than 1251 grams. Pediatrics 2006;118(1):e25–e35.
28. MA Fletcher , DR Brown , S Landers , J Seguin . Umbilical arterial catheter use: report of an audit conducted by the Study Group for Complications of Perinatal Care. Am J Perinatol 1994;11(2):94–99.
29. J Seguin , MA Fletcher , S Landers , D Brown , T Macpherson . Umbilical venous catheterizations: audit by the Study Group for Complications of Perinatal Care. Am J Perinatol 1994;11(1):67–70.
30. TC Horan , M Andrus , MA Dudeck . CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care–associated infection and criteria for specific types of infection in the acute care setting. Am J Infect Control 2008;36(5):309–332.
31. JR Edwards , KD Peterson , ML Andrus , MA Dudeck , DA Pollock , TC Horan ; National Healthcare Safety Network Facilities. National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Report, data summary for 2006 through 2007, issued November 2008. Am J Infect Control 2008;36(9):609–626.
32. TR Holford . Multivariate Methods in Epidemiology. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2002:81–104.
34. D Kaufman , KD Fairchild . Clinical microbiology of bacterial and fungal sepsis in very-low-birth-weight infants. Clin Microbiol Rev 2004;17(3):638–680.
35. BJ Stoll , NI Hansen , I Adams-Chapman , et al; National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Neuro-developmental and growth impairment among extremely low-birth-weight infants with neonatal infection. JAMA 2004;292(19):2357–2365.
38. AA Fanaroff , M Hack , MC Walsh . The NICHD neonatal research network: changes in practice and outcomes during the first 15 years. Semin Perinatol 2003;27(4):281–287.