This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. TR Talbot , SE Bradley , SE Cosgrove , C Ruef , JD Siegel , DJ Weber . Influenza vaccination of healthcare workers and vaccine allocation for healthcare workers during vaccine shortages. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2005;26(11):882–890.
3. LR Shugarman , C Hales , CM Setodji , B Bardenheier , J Lynn . The influence of staff and resident immunization rates on influenza-like illness outbreaks in nursing homes. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2006;7(9):562–567.
4. C van den Dool , MJ Bonten , E Hak , J Wallinga . Modeling the effects of influenza vaccination of healthcare workers in hospital departments. Vaccine 2009;27(44):6261–6267.
5. C van den Dool , MJ Bonten , E Hak , JC Heijne , J Wallinga . The effects of influenza vaccination of healthcare workers in nursing homes: insights from a mathematical model. PLoS Med 2008;5(10):e200.
6. A Burls , R Jordan , P Barton , al et . Vaccinating healthcare workers against influenza to protect the vulnerable—is it a good use of healthcare resources? A systematic review of the evidence and an economic evaluation. Vaccine 2006;24(19):4212–4221.
8. WF Carman , AG Elder , LA Wallace , et al.Effects of influenza vaccination of healthcare workers on mortality of elderly people in long-term care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2000;355(9198):93–97.
9. J Potter , DJ Stott , MA Roberts , et al.Influenza vaccination of healthcare workers in long-term care hospitals reduces the mortality of elderly patients. J Infect Dis 1997;175(1):1–6.
10. AC Hayward , R Harling , S Wetten , et al.Effectiveness of an influenza vaccine programme for care home staff to prevent death, morbidity, and health service use among residents: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2006;333(7581):1241.
11. M Lemaitre , T Meret , M Rothan-Tondeur , et al.Effect of influenza vaccination of nursing home staff on mortality of residents: a cluster-randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009;57(9):1580–1586.
14. S Weingarten , M Riedinger , LB Bolton , P Miles , M Ault . Barriers to influenza vaccine acceptance: a survey of physicians and nurses. Am J Infect Control 1989;17(4):202–207.
15. CB Bridges , WW Thompson , MI Meitzer , et al.Effectiveness and cost-benefit of influenza vaccination of healthy working adults: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2000;284(13):1655–1663.
16. KL Nichol , A Lind , KL Margolis , et al.The effectiveness of vaccination against influenza in healthy, working adults. N Engl J Med 1995;333(14):889–893.
18. S Hugonnet , JC Chevrolet , D Pittet . The effect of workload on infection risk in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 2007;35(1):76–81.
21. AJ Caban-Martinez , DJ Lee , EP Davila , et al.Sustained low influenza vaccination rates in US healthcare workers. Prev Med 2010;50(4):210–212.
23. RM Rakita , BA Hagar , P Crome , JK Lammert . Mandatory influenza vaccination of healthcare workers: a 5-year study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010;31(9):881–888.
24. HM Babcock , N Gemeinhart , M Jones , WC Dunagan , KF Woeltje . Mandatory influenza vaccination of healthcare workers: translating policy to practice. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50(4):459–464.
29. LE Douville , A Myers , MA Jackson , JD Lantos . Healthcare worker knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs regarding mandatory influenza vaccination. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2010;164(1):33–37.
30. GA Poland , CL Ofstead , SJ Tucker , TJ Beebe . Receptivity to mandatory influenza vaccination policies for healthcare workers among registered nurses working on inpatient units. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29(2):170–173.
31. JE deSante , A Caplan , F Shofer , AJ Behrman . Physician attitudes towards influenza immunization and vaccine mandates. Vaccine 2010;28(13):2517–21.
32. E Lautenbach , S Saint , DK Henderson , AD Harris . Initial response of health care institutions to emergence of H1N1 influenza: experiences, obstacles, and perceived future needs. Clin Infect Dis 2009;50(4):523–527.
34. NR Lugo . Will carrots or sticks raise influenza immunization rates of healthcare personnel? Am J Infect Control 2007;35(1):1–6.
37. D Isaacs , J Leask . Should influenza immunisation be mandatory for healthcare workers? No. BMJ 2008;337:a2140.
38. CM Steckel . Mandatory influenza immunization for healthcare workers—an ethical discussion. AAOHN J 2007;55(1):34–39.
42. TR Talbot . Do declination statements increase healthcare worker influenza vaccination rates? Clin Infect Dis 2009;49(5):773–779.
45. PM Polgreen , LA Polgreen , T Evans , C Helms . A statewide system for improving influenza vaccination rates in hospital employees. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30(5):474–478.
46. DF Johnson , JD Druce , C Birch , ML Grayson . A quantitative assessment of the efficacy of surgical and N95 masks to filter influenza virus in patients with acute influenza infection. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49(2):275–277.
47. AE Aiello , GF Murray , V Perez , et al.Mask use, hand hygiene, and seasonal influenza-like illness among young adults: a randomized intervention trial. J Infect Dis;201(4):491–498.
48. BJ Cowling , KH Chan , VJ Fang , et al.Facemasks and hand hygiene to prevent influenza transmission in households: a cluster randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2009;151(7):437–446.
49. S Wicker . Unvaccinated health care workers must wear masks during flu season—a possibility to improve influenza'vaccination rates? Vaccine 2009;27(20):2631–2632.
51. M Bertin , M Scarpelli , AW Proctor , et al.Novel use of the intranet to document healthcare personnel participation in a mandatory influenza vaccination reporting program. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(1):33–37.
52. G Borlaug , A Newman , J Pfister , JP Davis . Factors that influenced rates of influenza vaccination among employees of Wisconsin acute care hospitals and nursing homes during the 2005-2006 influenza season. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28(12):1398–1400.
53. PM Polgreen , EJ Septimus , MF Parry , et al.Relationship of influenza vaccination declination statements and influenza vaccination rates for healthcare workers in 22 US hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29(7):675–677.
54. BS Ribner , C Hall , JP Steinberg , et al.Use of a mandatory declination form in a program for influenza vaccination of healthcare workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29(4):302–308.
57. MC Lindley , J Yonek , F Ahmed , JF Perz , G Williams Torres . Measurement of influenza vaccination coverage among healthcare personnel in US hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30(12):1150–1157.
58. TR Talbot , TH Dellit , J Hebden , D Sama , J Cuny . Factors associated with increased healthcare worker influenza vaccination rates: results of a national survey of university hospitals and medical centers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010;31(5):456–462.
59. SB Omer , DA Salmon , WA Orenstein , MP deHart , N Halsey . Vaccine refusal, mandatory immunization, and the risks of vaccine-preventable diseases. N Engl J Med 2009;360(19):1981–1988.
60. TN Palmore , JP Vandersluis , J Morris , et al.A successful mandatory influenza vaccination campaign using an innovative electronic tracking system. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30(12):1137–1142.