This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. S Saint , CE Chenoweth . Biofilms and catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2003;17:411–432.
4. DJ Weber , EE Sickbert-Bennett , CV Gould , VM Brown , K Huslage , WA Rutala . Incidence of catheter-associated and non-catheter-associated urinary tract infections in a healthcare system. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011;32:822–823.
6. PA Tambyah , DG Maki . Catheter-associated urinary tract infection is rarely symptomatic. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:678–687.
10. A-M Leuck , D Wright , L Ellingson , L Kraemer , MA Kuskowski , JR Johnson . Complications of Foley catheters—is infection the greatest risk? J Uroi 2012;187:1662–1666.
13. SM Hollingsworth , MA Rogers , SL Krein , et al. Determining the noninfectious complications of indwelling urethral catheters: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2013;159: 401–410.
14. S Saint , PD Baker , LL McDonald , K. Ossenkop Urinary catheters: what type do men and their nurses prefer? J Am Geriatr Soc 1999;47:1453–1457.
15. C Chant , DM Smith , JC Marshall , JO Friedrich . Relationship of catheter-associated urinary tract infection to mortality and length of stay in critically ill patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Crit Care Med 2011;39: 1167–1173.
16. M Cope , ME Cevallos , RM Cadle , RO Daroviche , DM Musher , BW Trautner . Inappropriate treatment of catheter associated asymptomatic bacteriuria in a tertiary care hospital. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:1182–1188.
17. JR Johnson , PL Roberts , RJ Olsen , KA Moyer , WE Stamm . Prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection with a silver-oxide-coated urinary catheter: clinical and microbiologie correlation, J Infect Dis 1990;162:1145–1150.
18. TS Huth , JP Burke , RA Larsen , DC Classen , LE Stevens . Randomized trial of meatal care with silver sulfadiazine cream for the prevention of catheter-associated bacteriuria. J Infect Dis 1992;165:14–18.
19. DK Riley , DC Classen , LE Stevens , JP Burke . A large, randomized clinical trial of a silver-impregnated urinary catheter: lack of efficacy and staphylococcal superinfection. Am J Med 1995;98: 349–356.
21. TM Hooton , SF Bradley , DD Cardenas , et al. Diagnosis, prevention and treatment of catheter-associated urinary tract infection in adults: 2009 international clinical practice guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50:625–663.
23. SS Bukhari , PJ Sanderson , DM Richardson , ME Kaufman , HM Aucken , BD Cookson . Endemic cross-infection in an acute medical ward. J Hosp Infect 1993;24:261–271.
24. DR Schaberg , RA Weinstein , WE Stamm . Epidemics of nosocomial urinary tract infection caused by multiply resistant gram-negative bacilli: epidemiology and control. J Infect Dis 1976;133: 363–366.
26. HJ Yoon , JY Choi , YS Park , et al. Outbreaks of Serratici marcescens bacteriuria in a neurosurgical intensive care unit of a tertiary care teaching hospital: a clinical, epidemiologie, and laboratory perspective. Am J Infect Control 2005;33:595–601.
27. RP Stark , DG Maki . Bacteriuria in the catheterized patient: what quantitative level of bacteriuria is relevant? N Engl J Med 1984; 311:560–564.
30. RJ Pratt , CM Pellowe , JA Wilson , et al. Epic 2: national evidence-based guidelines for preventing healthcare-associated infections in NHS hospitals in England. J Hosp Infect 2007;65(suppl):S1–S64.
32. L Li , J Wen , L Wang , YP Li , Y. Li Is routine indwelling cathe-terization of the bladder for caesarean section necessary? a systematic review. BJOG 2011;118:400–409.
33. S Hagen , L Sinclair , S. Cross Washout policies in long-term indwelling urinary catheterization in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;(3):CD004012.
34. C Zaouter , P Wuethrich , M Miccoli , F. Carli Early removal of urinary catheter leads to greater post-void residuals in patients with thoracic epidural. Acta Anaestheiol Scand 2012;56(8):1020–1025.
35. R Pickard , T Lam , G MacLennan , et al. Antimicrobial catheters for reduction of symptomatic urinary tract infection in adults requiring short-term catheterisation in hospital: a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012;380:1927–1935.
37. Z Shimoni , J Rodrig , N Kamma , P. Froom Will more restrictive indications decrease rates of urinary catheterization? an historical comparative study. BMJ Open 2012;2:e000473.
38. MG Fakih , SR Watson , MT Greene , et al. Reducing inappropriate urinary catheter use: a statewide effort. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:255–260.
39. S Saint , MT Greene , CP Kowalski , SR Watson , TP Hofer , SL Krein . Preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infection in the United States: a national comparative study. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173(10):874–879.
41. A Marigliano , P Barbadoro , L Pennacchietti , D’ MM Errico , E. Prospero Active training and surveillance: 2 good friends to reduce urinary catheterization rate. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:692–695.
42. WL Titsworth , J Hester , T Correia , et al. Reduction of catheter-associated urinary tract infections among patients in a neurological intensive care unit: a single institution’s success. J Neurosurg 2012;116:911–920.
46. SL Krein , CP Kowalski , M Harrod , J Forman , S. Saint Barriers to reducing urinary catheter use: a qualitative assessment of a statewide initiative. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173(1):881–886.
47. MG Fakih , MT Greene , EH Kennedy , et al. Introducing a population-based outcome measure to evaluate the effect of interventions to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infection. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:359–364.
48. AC Burns , NJ Petersen , A Garza , et al. Accuracy of a urinary catheter surveillance protocol. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:55–58.
53. JA Meddings , H Reichert , MA Rogers , S Saint , J Stephansky , LE McMahon Effect of nonpayment for hospital-acquired catheter-associated urinary tract infection: a statewide analysis. Ann Intern Med 2012;157:305–312.
54. M Jain , L Miller , D Belt , D King , DM Berwick . Decline in ICU adverse events, nosocomial infections and cost through a quality improvement initiative focusing on teamwork and culture change. Qual Saf Health Care 2006;15:235–239.
55. EH Elpern , K Killeen , A Ketchem , A Wiley , G Patel , O Lateef . Reducing use of indwelling urinary catheters and associated urinary tract infections. Am J Crit Care 2009;18:535–541.
56. A Apisarnthanarak , K Thongphubeth , S Sirinvaravong , et al. Effectiveness of multifaceted hospital wide quality improvement programs featuring an intervention to remove unnecessary urinary catheters at a tertiary care center in Thailand. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;28:791–798.
57. L Reilly , P Sullivan , S Ninni , D Fochesto , K Williams , B. Fetherman Reducing foley catheter device days in an intensive care unit: using the evidence to change practice. AACN Adv Crit Care 2006;17:272–283.
58. JE Wenger . Cultivating quality: reducing rates of catheter-associated urinary tract infection. Am J Nurs 2010;110:40–45.
59. AF Rothfeld , A. Stickley A program to limit urinary catheter use in an acute care hospital. Am J Infect Control 2010;38:568–571.
61. N Rhodes , T McVay , L Harrington , R Luquire , M Winter , B. Helms Eliminating catheter-associated urinary tract infections, part II: limit duration of catheter use. J Healthc Qual 2009;31:13–17.
62. P van den Broek , JC Wille , BHB van Benthem , RJM Prenboom , ME van den Akker-van Marie , BS Niel-Weise . Urethral catheters: can we reduce use? BMC Uroi 2011;11:10–16.
63. KS Oman , MB Flynn Makie , R Fink , et al. Nurse-directed interventions to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:448–553.
66. S Venkatram , S Rachmale , B. Kanna Study of device use adjusted rates in health care-associated infections after implementation of “bundles” in a closed-model medical intensive care unit. J Crit Care 2010;25:174–181.
67. VD Rosenthal , SK Todi , C Alvarez-Moreno , et al. Impact of a multidimensional infection control strategy on catheter associated urinary infection rates in the adult intensive care units of 15 developing countries: findings of the International Nosocomial Infection Control Consortium. Infection 2012;40:517–526.
69. M Winter , B Helms , L Harrington , R Luquire , T McVay , N. Rhodes Eliminating catheter-associated urinary tract infections, part I: avoid catheter use. J Healthc Qual 2009;31:8–12.
70. RS Miller , PR Norris , JM Jenkins , et al. Systems initiatives reduce healthcare-associated infections: a study of 22,928 device days in a single trauma unit, J Trauma 2010;68:23–31.
71. J Topal , S Conklin , K Camp , et al. Prevention of nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infections through computerized feedback to physicians and a nurse-directed protocol. Am J Med Qual 2005;20:121–126.
72. B Misset , JF Timsit , MF Dumay , et al. A continuous quality-improvement program reduces nosocomial infection rates in the ICU. Intensive Care Med 2004;30:395–400.
73. J Crouzet , X Bertrand , AG Venier , M Badoz , C Husson , D. Talon Control of the duration of urinary catheterization: impact on catheter-associated urinary tract infection. J Hosp Infect 2007; 67:253–257.
75. M Loeb , D Hunt , K O’Halloran , SC Carusone , N Dafoe , SD Walter . Stop orders to reduce inappropriate urinary catheterization in hospitalized patients: a randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med 2008;23:816–820.
76. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , GE Vist , et al. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 2008;336(7650):924–926.