This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. DS Yokoe , DJ Anderson , SM Berenholtz , et al. Introduction to “A Compendium of Strategies to Prevent Healthcare-Associated Infections in Acute Care Hospitals: 2014 Updates.” Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35(5):455–459.
3. DG Maki , DM Kluger , CJ Crnich . The risk of bloodstream infection in adults with different intravascular devices: a systematic review of 200 published prospective studies. Mayo Clin Proc 2006;81(9):1159–1171.
4. F Esteve , M Pujol , E Limon , et al. Bloodstream infection related to catheter connections: a prospective trial of two connection systems. J Hosp Infect 2007;67(l):30–34.
9. AJ Kallen , PR Patel , NP O’Grady . Preventing catheter-related bloodstream infections outside the intensive care unit: expanding prevention to new settings. Clin Infect Dis 2010;51(3): 335–341
10. W Zingg , L Sandoz , C Inan , et al. Hospital-wide survey of the use of central venous catheters, J Hosp Infect 2011;77(4):304–308.
11. H Xue , JH Ix , W Wang , et al. Hemodialysis access usage patterns in the incident dialysis year and associated catheter-related complications. Am J Kidney Dis 2013;61(1):123–130
12. RW Loftus , JR Brown , MD Koff , et al. Multiple reservoirs contribute to intraoperative bacterial transmission. Anesth Analg 2012;114(6):1236–1248.
13. D Pittet , D Tarara , RP Wenzel . Nosocomial bloodstream infection in critically ill patients: excess length of stay, extra costs, and attributable mortality. JAMA 1994;271(20):1598–1601.
14. B. Digiovine , C Chenoweth , C Watts , M. Higgins The attributable mortality and costs of primary nosocomial bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;160(3):976–181.
15. B Renaud , C Brun-Buisson . Outcomes of primary and catheter-related bacteremia: a cohort and case-control study in critically ill patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;163(7):1584–1590.
16. JB Dimick , RK Pelz , R Consunji , SM Swoboda , CW Hendrix , PA Lipsett . Increased resource use associated with catheter-related bloodstream infection in the surgical intensive care unit. Arch Surg 2001;136(2):229–234.
17. DK Warren , WW Quadir , CS Hollenbeak , AM Elward , MJ Cox , VJ Fraser . Attributable cost of catheter-associated bloodstream infections among intensive care patients in a nonteaching hospital. Crit Care Med 2006;34(8):2084–2089.
18. LA Mermel . Prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections. Ann Intern Med 2000;132(5):391–402.
19. AM Elward , CS Hollenbeak , DK Warren , VJ Fraser . Attributable cost of nosocomial primary bloodstream infection in pediatric intensive care unit patients. Pediatrics 2005;115 (4): 868–872
21. MA Almuneef , ZA Memish , HH Balkhy , O Hijazi , G Cunningham , C. Francis Rate, risk factors and outcomes of catheter-related bloodstream infection in a paediatric intensive care unit in Saudi Arabia. J Hosp Infect 2006;62(2):207–213.
24. C Rey , F Alvarez , V De-La-Rua , et al. Intervention to reduce catheter-related bloodstream infections in a pediatric intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med 2011;37(4):678–685.
26. SK Fridkin , SM Pear , TH Williamson , JN Galgiani , WR Jarvis . The role of understaffing in central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996; 17(3): 150–158.
27. JP Cimiotti , J Haas , L Saiman , EL Larson . Impact of staffing on bloodstream infections in the neonatal intensive care unit. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2006;160(8):832–836.
28. J Merrer , B De Jonghe , F Golliot , et al. Complications of femoral and subclavian venous catheterization in critically ill patients: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2001;286(6):700–707.
29. I Raad , R Darouiche , J Dupuis , et al; Texas Medical Center Catheter Study Group. Central venous catheters coated with minocycline and rifampin for the prevention of catheter-related colonization and bloodstream infections: a randomized, double-blind trial. Ann Intern Med 1997;127(4):267–274.
30. H Hanna , R Benjamin , I Chatzinikolaou , et al. Long-term silicone central venous catheters impregnated with minocycline and rifampin decrease rates of catheter-related bloodstream infection in cancer patients: a prospective randomized clinical trial. J Clin Oncol 2004;22(15):3163–3171.
32. MF Niedner . The harder you look, the more you find: catheter-associated bloodstream infection surveillance variability. Am J Infect Control 2010;38(8):585–595.
33. MY Lin , B Hota , YM Khan , et al. Quality of traditional surveillance for public reporting of nosocomial bloodstream infection rates. JAMA 2010;304(18):2035–2041.
34. D Tomlinson , LA Mermel , MC Ethier , A Matlow , B Gillmeister , L. Sung Defining bloodstream infections related to central venous catheters in patients with cancer: a systematic review. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53(7):697–710.
35. LA Mermel , M Allon , E Bouza , et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of intravascular catheter-related infection: 2009 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49(l):l–45
40. EY Huang , C Chen , F Abdullah , et al. Strategies for the prevention of central venous catheter infections: an American Pediatric Surgical Association Outcomes and Clinical Trials Committee systematic review. J Pediatr Surg 2011;46 (10): 2000–2011.
44. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al. An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl J Med 2006;355(26):2725–2732.
45. SM Berenholtz , PJ Pronovost , PA Lipsett , et al. Eliminating catheter-related bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2004;32(10):2014–2020.
47. JS Kim , P Holtom , C. Vigen Reduction of catheter-related bloodstream infections through the use of a central venous line bundle: epidemiologies and economic consequences. Am J Infect Control 2011;39(8):640–646.
48. KA Halton , D Cook , DL Paterson , N Safdar , N. Graves Cost-effectiveness of a central venous catheter care bundle. PLoS ONE 2010;5 (9):el2815
49. O Helder , A van den Hoogen , C de Boer , J van Goudoever , M Verboon-Maciolek , R. Kornelisse Effectiveness of non-pharmacological interventions for the prevention of bloodstream infections in infants admitted to a neonatal intensive care unit: a systematic review. Int J Nurs Stud 2013;50(6):819–831.
50. PJ Pronovost , CA Goeschel , E Colantuoni , et al. Sustaining reductions in catheter related bloodstream infections in Michigan intensive care units: observational study. BMJ 2010;340: c309
51. PJ Pronovost , SM Berenholtz , CA Goeschel , et al. Creating high reliability in health care organizations. Health Serv Res 2006; 41(4 pt 2): 1599–1617.
52. EY Furuya , A Dick , EN Perencevich , M Pogorzelska , D Goldmann , PW Stone . Central line bundle implementation in US intensive care units and impact on bloodstream infections. PLoS ONE 2011;6 (1):e15452
53. K Guerin , J Wagner , K Rains , M. Bessesen Reduction in central line-associated bloodstream infections by implementation of a postinsertion care bundle. Am J Infect Control 2010;38 (6): 430–433.
54. MR Miller , M Griswold , JM Harris 2nd, et al. Decreasing PICU catheter-associated bloodstream infections: NACHRI’s quality transformation efforts. Pediatrics 2010;125(2):206–213.
55. MR Miller , MF Niedner , WC Huskins , et al. Reducing PICU central line-associated bloodstream infections: 3-year results. Pediatrics 2011;128 (5):el077–el083
57. P Eggimann , S Harbarth , MN Constantin , S Touveneau , JC Chevrolet , D. Pittet Impact of a prevention strategy targeted at vascular-access care on incidence of infections acquired in intensive care. Lancet 2000;355(9218):1864–1868.
58. CM Coopersmith , TL Rebmann , JE Zack , et al. Effect of an education program on decreasing catheter-related bloodstream infections in the surgical intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2002;30(l): 59–64.
59. DK Warren , JE Zack , MJ Cox , MM Cohen , VJ Fraser . An educational intervention to prevent catheter-associated bloodstream infections in a nonteaching, community medical center. Crit Care Med 2003;31(7):1959–1963.
60. DK Warren , JE Zack , JL Mayfield , et al. The effect of an education program on the incidence of central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infection in a medical ICU. Chest 2004; 126(5): 1612–1618.
61. RD Lobo , AS Levin , MS Oliveira , et al. Evaluation of interventions to reduce catheter-associated bloodstream infection: continuous tailored education versus one basic lecture. Am J Infect Control 2010;38(6):440–448.
62. MG Cherry , JM Brown , T Neal , N. Ben Shaw What features of educational interventions lead to competence in aseptic insertion and maintenance of CV catheters in acute care? BEME Guide 15. Med Teach 2010;32(3):198–218.
64. JH Barsuk , ER Cohen , J Feinglass , WC McGaghie , DB Wayne . Use of simulation-based education to reduce catheter-related bloodstream infections. Arch Intern Med 2009;169(15):1420–1423.
65. H Khouli , K Jahnes , J Shapiro , et al. Performance of medical residents in sterile techniques during central vein catheterization: randomized trial of efficacy of simulation-based training. Chest 2011;139(l): 80–87.
66. IW Ma , ME Brindle , PE Ronksley , DL Lorenzetti , RS Sauve , WA Ghali . Use of simulation-based education to improve outcomes of central venous catheterization: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acad Med 2011;86 (9): 1137–1147.
67. SC Bleasdale , WE Trick , IM Gonzalez , RD Lyles , MK Hayden , RA Weinstein . Effectiveness of chlorhexidine bathing to reduce catheter-associated bloodstream infections in medical intensive care unit patients. Arch Intern Med 2007;167(19):2073–2079.
69. MA Montecalvo , D McKenna , R Yarrish , et al. Chlorhexidine bathing to reduce central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infection: impact and sustainability. Am J Med 2012; 125(5): 505–511.
70. AM Milstone , A Elward , X Song , et al. Daily chlorhexidine bathing to reduce bacteraemia in critically ill children: a multicenter, cluster-randomised, crossover trial. Lancet 2013; 381(9872): 1099–1106.
72. A Medina , T Serratt , M Pelter , T. Brancamp Decreasing central line-associated bloodstream infections in the non-ICU population. J Nurs Care Qual 2014;29(2):133–140.
76. C Andersen , J Hart , P Vemgal , C. Harrison Prospective evaluation of a multi-factorial prevention strategy on the impact of nosocomial infection in very-low-birthweight infants. J Hosp Infect 2005;61(2):162–167.
77. T Taylor , A Massaro , L Williams , et al. Effect of a dedicated percutaneously inserted central catheter team on neonatal catheter-related bloodstream infection. Adv Neonatal Care 2011; 11(2): 122–128.
78. JS Garland , CP Alex , MR Uhing , IE Peterside , A Rentz , MC Harris . Pilot trial to compare tolerance of chlorhexidine gluconate to povidone-iodine antisepsis for central venous catheter placement in neonates. J Perinatol 2009;29(12):808–813.
79. S Curry , M Honeycutt , G Goins , C. Guliam Catheter-associated bloodstream infections in the NICU: getting to zero. Neonatal Netw 2009;28(3):151–155.
80. JS Garland , CP Alex , CD Mueller , et al. A randomized trial comparing povidone-iodine to a chlorhexidine gluconate-impregnated dressing for prevention of central venous catheter infections in neonates. Pediatrics 2001;107(6):1431–1436.
81. T Tsuchida , K Makimoto , M Toki , K Sakai , E Onaka , Y. Otani The effectiveness of a nurse-initiated intervention to reduce catheter-associated bloodstream infections in an urban acute hospital: an intervention study with before and after comparison. Int J Nurs Stud 2007;44(8):1324–1333.
84. G Yilmaz , I Koksal , K Aydin , R Caylan , N Sucu , F. Aksoy Risk factors of catheter-related bloodstream infections in parenteral nutrition catheterization. J PEN J Parenter Enterai Nutr 2007; 31(4): 284–287.
86. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , N. Safdar Reduction in nosocomial infection with improved hand hygiene in intensive care units of a tertiary care hospital in Argentina. Am J Infect Control 2005;33(7):392–397.
87. MG Capretti , F Sandri , E Tridapalli , S Galletti , E Petracci , G. Faldella Impact of a standardized hand hygiene program on the incidence of nosocomial infection in very low birth weight infants. Am J Infect Control 2008;36(6):430–435.
88. AM Goetz , MM Wagener , JM Miller , RR Muder . Risk of infection due to central venous catheters: effect of site of placement and catheter type. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998; 19(ll): 842–845.
89. JJ Parienti , D du Chevron , JF Timsit , et al. Meta-analysis of subclavian insertion and nontunneled central venous catheter-associated infection risk reduction in critically ill adults. Crit Care Med 2012;40(5):1627–1634.
91. JJ Parienti , M Thirion , B Megarbane , et al. Femoral vs jugular venous catheterization and risk of nosocomial events in adults requiring acute renal replacement therapy: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2008;299(20):2413–2422.
92. JF Timsit , L Bouadma , O Mimoz , et al. Jugular versus femoral short-term catheterization and risk of infection in intensive care unit patients: causal analysis of two randomized trials. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013;188(10):1232–1239.
93. RC de Jonge , KH Polderman , RJ Gemke . Central venous catheter use in the pediatric patient: mechanical and infectious complications. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2005;6(3):329–339.
94. PE Marik , M Flemmer , W Harrison The risk of catheter-related bloodstream infection with femoral venous catheters as compared to subclavian and internal jugular venous catheters: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis. Crit Care Med 2012;40(8):2479–2485.
95. L Lorente , A Jimenez , I Roca , MM Martin , ML Mora . Influence of tracheostomy on the incidence of catheter-related bloodstream infection in the catheterization of jugular vein by posterior access. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2011;30 (9): 1049–1051.
96. N Safdar , DG Maki . Risk of catheter-related bloodstream infection with peripherally inserted central venous catheters used in hospitalized patients. Chest 2005;128(2):489–495.
97. V Chopra , S Anand , SL Krein , C Chenoweth , S. Saint Bloodstream infection, venous thrombosis, and peripherally inserted central catheters: reappraising the evidence. Am J Med 2012; 125(8): 733–741.
99. D Karakitsos , N Labropoulos , E De Groot , et al. Real-time ultrasound-guided catheterisation of the internal jugular vein: a prospective comparison with the landmark technique in critical care patients. Crit Care 2006;10 (6):R162
100. D Hind , N Calvert , R McWilliams , et al. Ultrasonic locating devices for central venous cannulation: meta-analysis. BMJ 2003;327 (7411):361
101. LA Mermel , RD McCormick , SR Springman , DG Maki . The pathogenesis and epidemiology of catheter-related infection with pulmonary artery Swan-Ganz catheters: a prospective study utilizing molecular subtyping. Am J Med 1991;91(3B): 197S–205S
102. II Raad , DC Hohn , BJ Gilbreath , et al. Prevention of central venous catheter-related infections by using maximal sterile barrier precautions during insertion. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15(4 pt l): 231–238.
103. KK Hu , BA Lipsky , DL Veenstra , S. Saint Using maximal sterile barriers to prevent central venous catheter-related infection: a systematic evidence-based review. Am J Infect Control 2004; 32(3): 142–146.
104. EM Young , ML Commiskey , SJ Wilson . Translating evidence into practice to prevent central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infections: a systems-based intervention. Am J Infect Control 2006;34(8):503–506.
105. Y Ishikawa , T Kiyama , Y Haga , et al. Maximal sterile barrier precautions do not reduce catheter-related bloodstream infections in general surgery units: a multi-institutional randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg 2010;251(4):620–623.
108. DG Maki , M Ringer , CJ Alvarado . Prospective randomised trial of povidone-iodine, alcohol, and chlorhexidine for prevention of infection associated with central venous and arterial catheters. Lancet 1991;338(8763):339–343.
109. JS Garland , RK Buck , P Maloney , et al. Comparison of 10% povidone-iodine and 0.5% chlorhexidine gluconate for the prevention of peripheral intravenous catheter colonization in neo-nates: a prospective trial. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1995;14(6):510–516.
110. A Humar , A Ostromecki , J Direnfeld , et al. Prospective randomized trial of 10% povidone-iodine versus 0.5% tincture of chlorhexidine as cutaneous antisepsis for prevention of central venous catheter infection. Clin Infect Dis 2000;31 (4): 1001–1007.
111. N Chaiyakunapruk , DL Veenstra , BA Lipsky , S. Saint Chlorhexidine compared with povidone-iodine solution for vascular catheter-site care: a meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2002; 136(11): 792–801.
112. M Maiwald , ES Chan . The forgotten role of alcohol: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the clinical efficacy and perceived role of chlorhexidine in skin antisepsis. PLoS ONE 2012; 7(9):e44277
114. PW Stone , C Mooney-Kane , EL Larson , et al. Nurse working conditions and patient safety outcomes. Med Care 2007;45 (6): 571–578.
116. MA Luebke , MJ Arduino , DL Duda , et al. Comparison of the microbial barrier properties of a needleless and a conventional needle-based intravenous access system. Am J Infect Control 1998;26(4):437–441.
117. AL Casey , T Worthington , PA Lambert , D Quinn , MH Faroqui , TS Elliott . A randomized, prospective clinical trial to assess the potential infection risk associated with the PosiFlow needleless connector. J Hosp Infect 2003;54(4):288–293.
118. LS Munoz-Price , C Dezfulian , M Wyckoff , et al. Effectiveness of stepwise interventions targeted to decrease central catheter-associated bloodstream infections. Crit Care Med 2012;40 (5): 1464–1469.
119. JS Soothill , K Bravery , A Ho , S Macqueen , J Collins , P. Lock A fall in bloodstream infections followed a change to 2% chlorhexidine in 70% isopropanol for catheter connection antisepsis: a pediatric single center before/after study on a hemopoietic stem cell transplant ward. Am J Infect Control 2009;37(8):626–630.
120. H Hong , DF Morrow , TJ Sandora , GR Priebe Disinfection of needleless connectors with chlorhexidine-alcohol provides long-lasting residual disinfectant activity. Am J Infect Control 2013;41 (8):e77–e79
122. S Simmons , C Bryson , S. Porter “Scrub the hub”: cleaning duration and reduction in bacterial load on central venous catheters. Crit Care Nurs Q 2011;34(l): 31–35.
123. FA Lederle , CM Parenti , LC Berskow , KJ Ellingson . The idle intravenous catheter. Ann Intern Med 1992;116(9):737–738.
124. CM Parenti , FA Lederle , CL Impola , LR Peterson . Reduction of unnecessary intravenous catheter use: internal medicine house staff participate in a successful quality improvement project. Arch Intern Med 1994;154(16):1829–1832.
125. S Rotz , MM Sopirala . Assessment beyond central line bundle: audits for line necessity in infected central lines in a surgical intensive care unit. Am J Infect Control 2012;40(l): 88–89.
126. B Cload , AG Day , R. Han Evaluation of unnecessary central venous catheters in critically ill patients: a prospective observational study. Can JAnaesth 2010;57(9):830–835.
127. P Seguin , Lavio B Ue , S Isslame , A Coue , Y. Malledant Effectiveness of simple daily sensitization of physicians to the duration of central venous and urinary tract catheterization. Intensive Care Med 2010;36 (7): 1202–1206.
129. DG Maki , SS Stolz , S Wheeler , LA Mermel . A prospective, randomized trial of gauze and two polyurethane dressings for site care of pulmonary artery catheters: implications for catheter management. Crit Care Med 1994;22(11):1729–1737.
131. JF Timsit , L Bouadma , S Ruckly , et al. Dressing disruption is a major risk factor for catheter-related infections. Crit Care Med 2012;40(6):1707–1714.
134. A Levin , AJ Mason , KK Jindal , IW Fong , MB Goldstein . Prevention of hemodialysis subclavian vein catheter infections by topical povidone-iodine. Kidney Int 1991;40(5):934–938.
135. A Zakrzewska-Bode , HL Muytjens , KD Liem , JA Hoogkamp-Korstanje . Mupirocin resistance in coagulase-negative staphylococci, after topical prophylaxis for the reduction of colonization of central venous catheters, J Hosp Infect 1995; 31(3): 189–193.
136. S Riu , CG Ruiz , A Martinez-Vea , C Peralta , JA Oliver . Spontaneous rupture of polyurethane peritoneal catheter: a possible deleterious effect of mupirocin ointment. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1998;13(7):1870–1871.
137. CE Lok , KE Stanley , JE Hux , R Richardson , SW Tobe , J. Conly Hemodialysis infection prevention with polysporin ointment. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003;14(1):169–179.
139. M Battistella , C Bhola , CE Lok . Long-term follow-up of the Hemodialysis Infection Prevention with Polysporin Ointment (HIPPO) Study: a quality improvement report. Am J Kidney Dis 2011;57 (3): 432–441.
140. MT James , J Conley , M Tonelli , BJ Manns , J MacRae , BR Hemmelgarn . Meta-analysis: antibiotics for prophylaxis against hemodialysis catheter-related infections. Ann Intern Med 2008; 148(8): 596–605.
141. P Gastmeier , C Geffers , C Brandt , et al. Effectiveness of a nationwide nosocomial infection surveillance system for reducing nosocomial infections. J Hosp Infect 2006;64(l): 16–22.
142. W Zingg , H Sax , C Inan , et al. Hospital-wide surveillance of catheter-related bloodstream infection: from the expected to the unexpected, J Hosp Infect 2009;73(l): 41–46.
144. JR Edwards , KD Peterson , ML Andrus , et al. National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Report, data summary for 2006, issued June 2007. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(5):290–301.
146. DG Maki , SM Stolz , S Wheeler , LA Mermel . Prevention of central venous catheter-related bloodstream infection by use of an antiseptic-impregnated catheter: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1997;127(4):257–266.
147. DL Veenstra , S Saint , S Saha , T Lumley , SD Sullivan . Efficacy of antiseptic-impregnated central venous catheters in preventing catheter-related bloodstream infection: a meta-analysis. JAMA 1999;281(3):261–267.
148. RO Darouiche , II Raad , SO Heard , et al; Catheter Study Group. A comparison of two antimicrobial-impregnated central venous catheters. N Engl J Med 1999;340(l):l–8
149. HA Hanna , II Raad , B Hackett , et al. Antibiotic-impregnated catheters associated with significant decrease in nosocomial and multidrug-resistant bacteremias in critically ill patients. Chest 2003;124(3):1030–1038.
150. SA McConnell , PO Gubbins , EJ Anaissie . Do antimicrobial-impregnated central venous catheters prevent catheter-related bloodstream infection? Clin Infect Dis 2003;37(l): 65–72.
151. ME Rupp , SJ Lisco , PA Lipsett , et al. Effect of a second-generation venous catheter impregnated with chlorhexidine and silver sulfadiazine on central catheter-related infections: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 2005;143(8):570–580.
152. H Wang , T Huang , J Jing , et al. Effectiveness of different central venous catheters for catheter-related infections: a network meta-analysis. J Hosp Infect 2010;76(1):1–11.
153. JR Cherry-Bukowiec , K Denchev , S Dickinson , et al. Prevention of catheter-related blood stream infection: back to basics? Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2011;12(l): 27–32.
154. A Guleri , A Kumar , RJ Morgan , M Hartley , DH Roberts . Anaphylaxis to chlorhexidine-coated central venous catheters: a case series and review of the literature. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2012;13(3):171–174.
155. I Levy , J Katz , E Solter , et al. Chlorhexidine-impregnated dressing for prevention of colonization of central venous catheters in infants and children: a randomized controlled study. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2005;24(8):676–679.
156. KM Ho , E. Litton Use of chlorhexidine-impregnated dressing to prevent vascular and epidural catheter colonization and infection: a meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2006;58 (2): 281–287.
157. JF Timsit , C Schwebel , L Bouadma , et al. Chlorhexidine-impregnated sponges and less frequent dressing changes for prevention of catheter-related infections in critically ill adults: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009;301(12):1231–1241.
158. H Ruschulte , M Franke , P Gastmeier , et al. Prevention of central venous catheter related infections with chlorhexidine gluconate impregnated wound dressings: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Hematol 2009;88(3):267–272.
160. JF Timsit , O Mimoz , B Mourvillier , et al. Randomized controlled trial of chlorhexidine dressing and highly adhesive dressing for preventing catheter-related infections in critically ill adults. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012;186(12): 1272–1278.
161. SZ Menyhay , DG Maki . Preventing central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infections: development of an antiseptic barrier cap for needleless connectors. Am J Infect Control 2008;36 (10):S174el–S174e5
162. J Oto , H Imanaka , M Konno , E Nakataki , M. Nishimura A prospective clinical trial on prevention of catheter contamination using the hub protection cap for needleless injection device. Am J Infect Control 2011;39(4):309–313.
163. MA Sweet , A Cumpston , F Briggs , M Craig , M. Hamadani Impact of alcohol-impregnated port protectors and needleless neutral pressure connectors on central line-associated bloodstream infections and contamination of blood cultures in an inpatient oncology unit. Am J Infect Control 2012;40(10):931–934.
164. MO Wright , J Tropp , DM Schora , et al. Continuous passive disinfection of catheter hubs prevents contamination and bloodstream infection. Am J Infect Control 2013;41(l): 33–38.
165. RW Loftus , BS Brindeiro , DP Kispert , et al. Reduction in intraoperative bacterial contamination of peripheral intravenous tubing through the use of a passive catheter care system. Anesth Analg 2012;115(6):1315–1323.
166. G Bertini , S Elia , F Ceciarini , C. Dani Reduction of catheter-related bloodstream infections in preterm infants by the use of catheters with the AglON antimicrobial system. Early Hum Dev 2013;89(l): 21–25.
167. A Chelliah , KH Heydon , TE Zaoutis , et al. Observational trial of antibiotic-coated central venous catheters in critically ill pediatric patients. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2007;26(9):816–820.
168. A Bhutta , C Gilliam , M Honeycutt , et al. Reduction of bloodstream infections associated with catheters in paediatric intensive care unit: stepwise approach. BM] 2007;334(7589):362–365.
169. JM Weber , RL Sheridan , S Fagan , CM Ryan , MS Pasternack , RG Tompkins . Incidence of catheter-associated bloodstream infection after introduction of minocycline and rifampin antimicrobial-coated catheters in a pediatric burn population. J Burn Care Res 2012;33(4):539–543.
172. N Safdar , DG Maki . Use of vancomycin-containing lock or flush solutions for prevention of bloodstream infection associated with central venous access devices: a meta-analysis of prospective, randomized trials. Clin Infect Dis 2006;43(4):474–484.
173. L Labriola , R Crott , M. Jadoul Preventing haemodialysis catheter-related bacteraemia with an antimicrobial lock solution: a meta-analysis of prospective randomized trials. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23(5):1666–1672.
174. M Snaterse , W Ruger , WJ Scholte Op Reimer , C Lucas Antibiotic-based catheter lock solutions for prevention of catheter-related bloodstream infection: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. J Hosp Infect 2010;75(1):1–11.
175. C Oliveira , A Nasr , M Brindle , PW Wales Ethanol locks to prevent catheter-related bloodstream infections in parenteral nutrition: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2012;129(2):318–329.
176. D Yahav , B Rozen-Zvi , A Gafter-Gvili , L Leibovici , U Gafter , M. Paul Antimicrobial lock solutions for the prevention of infections associated with intravascular catheters in patients undergoing hemodialysis: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47(1):83–93.
177. MT Opilla , DF Kirby , MB Edmond . Use of ethanol lock therapy to reduce the incidence of catheter-related bloodstream infections in home parenteral nutrition patients. JPEN J Parenter Enterai Nutr 2007;31(4):302–305.
178. L Slobbe , JK Doorduijn , PJ Lugtenburg , et al. Prevention of catheter-related bacteremia with a daily ethanol lock in patients with tunnelled catheters: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. PLoS ONE 2010;5 (5):el0840
179. MP Cober , DS Kovacevich , DH Teitelbaum . Ethanol-lock therapy for the prevention of central venous access device infections in pediatric patients with intestinal failure. J PEN J Parenter Enterai Nutr 2011;35(l): 67–73.
180. AE Heng , MH Abdelkader , M Diaconita , et al. Impact of short term use of interdialytic 60% ethanol lock solution on tunneled silicone catheter dysfunction. Clin Nephrol 2011;75(6):534–541.
181. BR Hemmelgarn , LM Moist , CE Lok , et al. Prevention of dialysis catheter malfunction with recombinant tissue plasmin-ogen activator. N Engl J Med 2011;364(4):303–312.
182. R McKee , R Dunsmuir , M Whitby , OJ Garden . Does antibiotic prophylaxis at the time of catheter insertion reduce the incidence of catheter-related sepsis in intravenous nutrition? J Hosp Infect 1985;6(4):419–425.
183. MR Ranson , BA Oppenheim , A Jackson , AG Kamthan , JH Scarffe . Double-blind placebo controlled study of vancomycin prophylaxis for central venous catheter insertion in cancer patients. J Hosp Infect 1990;15(1):95–102.
184. JA Sandoe , B Kumar , B Stoddart , et al. Effect of extended perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis on intravascular catheter colonization and infection in cardiothoracic surgery patients. J Antimicrob Chemother 2003;52(5):877–879.
185. MD van de Wetering , JB van Woensel , LC Kremer , HN Caron . Prophylactic antibiotics for preventing early gram-positive central venous catheter infections in oncology patients: a Cochrane systematic review. Cancer Treat Rev 2005;31(3):186–196.
186. H Karanlik , S Kurul , P Saip , et al. The role of antibiotic prophylaxis in totally implantable venous access device placement: results of a single-center prospective randomized trial. Am J Surg 2011;202(1):10–15.
188. DK Cobb , KP High , RG Sawyer , et al. A controlled trial of scheduled replacement of central venous and pulmonary-artery catheters. N EnglJ Med 1992;327(15):1062–1068.
189. D Cook , A Randolph , P Kernerman , et al. Central venous catheter replacement strategies: a systematic review of the literature. Crit Care Med 1997;25(8):1417–1424.
193. ME Rupp , LA Sholtz , DR Jourdan , et al. Outbreak of bloodstream infection temporally associated with the use of an in-travascular needleless valve. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44(11):1408–1414.
194. WR Jarvis , C Murphy , KK Hall , et al. Health care-associated bloodstream infections associated with negative- or positive-pressure or displacement mechanical valve needleless connectors. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49(12):1821–1827.
196. NE Soifer , S Borzak , BR Edlin , RA Weinstein . Prevention of peripheral venous catheter complications with an intravenous therapy team: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 1998;158(5):473–477.
197. DB Koh , JR Gowardman , CM Rickard , IK Robertson , A. Brown Prospective study of peripheral arterial catheter infection and comparison with concurrently sited central venous catheters. Crit Care Med 2008;36(2):397–402.
198. JC Lucet , L Bouadma , JR Zahar , et al. Infectious risk associated with arterial catheters compared with central venous catheters. Crit Care Med 2010;38(4):1030–1035.
200. RM Klevens , JI Tokars , J Edwards , T. Horan Sampling for collection of central line-day denominators in surveillance of healthcare-associated bloodstream infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006;27(4):338–342.
202. AL Casey , TJ Karpanen , P Nightingale , M Cook , TS Elliott . Microbiological comparison of a silver-coated and a non-coated needleless intravascular connector in clinical use. J Hosp Infect 2012;80(4):299–303.
204. R Batra , BS Cooper , C Whiteley , AK Patel , D Wyncoll , JD Edge-worth . Efficacy and limitation of a chlorhexidine-based decolonization strategy in preventing transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an intensive care unit. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50(2):210–217.
206. M Sawyer , K Weeks , CA Goeschel , et al. Using evidence, rigorous measurement, and collaboration to eliminate central catheter-associated bloodstream infections. Crit Care Med 2010;38(suppl 8):S292–S298.
207. AF Widmer , M Nettleman , K Flint , RP Wenzel . The clinical impact of culturing central venous catheters: a prospective study. Arch Intern Med 1992;152(6):1299–1302.
208. II Raad , M Baba , GP Bodey . Diagnosis of catheter-related infections: the role of surveillance and targeted quantitative skin cultures. Clin Infect Dis 1995;20(3):593–597.
209. D Pittet , RP Wenzel . Nosocomial bloodstream infections: secular trends in rates, mortality, and contribution to total hospital deaths. Arch Intern Med 1995;155(11): 1177–1184.
211. MS Aswani , J Reagan , L Jin , PJ Pronovost , Goeschel C Variation in public reporting of central line-associated bloodstream infections by state. Am J Med Qual 2011;26(5):387–395.
212. TR Talbot , DW Bratzier , RM Carneo , et al. Public reporting of health care-associated surveillance data: recommendations from the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Ann Intern Med 2013;159(9):631–635.
215. SJ Weaver , LH Lubomksi , RF Wilson , ER Pfoh , KA Martinez , SM Dy . Promoting a culture of safety as a patient safety strategy: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2013;158(5 pt 2): 369–374.
220. GC Huang , LR Newman , RM Schwartzstein , et al. Procedural competence in internal medicine residents: validity of a central venous catheter insertion assessment instrument. Acad Med 2009;84(8):1127–1134.
221. N Safdar , C Abad . Educational interventions for prevention of healthcare-associated infection: a systematic review. Crit Care Med 2008;36(3):933–940.
222. JS Smith , KM Kirksey , H Becker , A. Brown Autonomy and self-efficacy as influencing factors in nurses’ behavioral intention to disinfect needleless intravenous systems, J Infus Nurs 2011;34(3):193–200.
223. A Faruqi , J Medefindt , G Dutta , SA Philip , D Tompkins , J. Carey Effect of a multidisciplinary intervention on central line utilization in an acute care hospital. Am J Infect Control 2012; 40(6):e211–e215
226. P Chittick , RJ Sherertz . Recognition and prevention of nosocomial vascular device and related bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2010;38(suppl 8):S363–S372.
227. N Moureau , M Lamperti , LJ Kelly , et al. Evidence-based consensus on the insertion of central venous access devices: definition of minimal requirements for training. Br J Anaesth 2013; 110(3): 347–356.
229. S Sannoh , B Clones , J Munoz , M Montecalvo , B. Parvez A multimodal approach to central venous catheter hub care can decrease catheter-related bloodstream infection. Am J Infect Control 2010;38(6):424–429.
230. CM Banks , H Gilmartin , RM Fink . Education methods for maintaining nursing competency in low-volume, high-risk procedures in the rural setting: bridging the theory to practice gap. J Nurses Staff Dev 2010;26 (3):E1–E7
232. M Guembe , A Parez-Parra , E Gómez , et al. Impact on knowledge and practice of an intervention to control catheter infection in the ICU. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2012;31 (10): 2799–2808.
233. J. Zack Zeroing in on zero tolerance for central line-associated bacteremia. Am J Infect Control 2008;36 (10):S176.el
234. SW Aboelela , PW Stone , EL Larson . Effectiveness of bundled behavioural interventions to control healthcare-associated infections: a systematic review of the literature, J Hosp Infect 2007; 66(2): 101–108.
235. R Sherertz , E Ely , D Westbrook , et al. Education of physicians-in-training can decrease the risk for vascular catheter infection. Ann Intern Med 2000;132(8):641–648.
236. JM Walz , SG Memtsoudis , SO Heard . Analytic reviews: prevention of central venous catheter bloodstream infections. J Intensive Care Med 2010;25(3):131–138.
238. SN Ahya , JH Barsuk , ER Cohen , J Tuazon , WC McGaghie , DB Wayne . Clinical performance and skill retention after simulation-based education for nephrology fellows. Semin Dial 2012;25(4):470–473.
239. MJ Ault , BT Rosen , B. Ault The use of tissue models for vascular access training: phase I of the procedural patient safety initiative. J Gen Intern Med 2006;21(5):514–517.
240. LV Evans , KL Dodge . Simulation and patient safety: evaluative checklists for central venous catheter insertion. Qual Saf Health Care 2010;19(suppl 3):i42–i46
241. C Ahlin , B Klang-Söderkvist , S Brundin , B Hellström , k Pettersson , E. Johansson Implementation of a written protocol for management of central venous access devices: a theoretical and practical education, including bedside examinations. J Infus Nurs 2006;29(5):253–259.
242. J Segreti , S Garcia-Houchins , L Górski , et al. Consensus conference on prevention of central line-associated bloodstream infections: 2009. J Infus Nurs 2011;34(2):126–133.
244. SO Labeau , DM Vandijck , J Relio , et al. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for preventing central venous catheter-related infection: results of a knowledge test among 3405 European intensive care nurses. Crit Care Med 2009;37(l): 320–323.
245. AR Marra , RG Cal , MS Durao , et al. Impact of a program to prevent central line-associated bloodstream infection in the zero tolerance era. Am J Infect Control 2010;38(6):434–439.
246. DS Wheeler , MJ Giaccone , N Hutchinson , et al. A hospital-wide quality-improvement collaborative to reduce catheter-associated bloodstream infections. Pediatrics 2011;128 (4):e995–e1004
249. TP Stevens , J. Schulman Evidence-based approach to preventing central line-associated bloodstream infection in the NICU. Acta Paediatr Suppl 2012;101(464):11–16.
250. RJ Powers , DW Wirtschafter . Decreasing central line associated bloodstream infection in neonatal intensive care. Clin Perinatol 2010;37(l): 247–272.
251. ME Rupp , K Cassling , H Faber , et al. Hospital-wide assessment of compliance with central venous catheter dressing recommendations. Am J Infect Control 2013;41(1):89–91.
255. M Berhe , MB Edmond , G. Bearman Measurement and feedback of infection control process measures in the intensive care unit: impact on compliance. Am J Infect Control 2006;34 (8): 537–539.
256. S Assanasen , M Edmond , G. Bearman Impact of 2 different levels of performance feedback on compliance with infection control process measures in 2 intensive care units. Am J Infect Control 2008;36(6):407–413.
257. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , GE Vist , et al. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 2008;336(7650):924–926.