This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DM Musher . Infections caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae: clinical spectrum, pathogenesis, immunity, and treatment. Clin Infect Dis 1992;14:801–807.
3. MJ Fine , MA Smith , CA Carson , F Meffe , SS Sankey , LA Weissfeld , et al. Efficacy of pneumococcal vaccination in adults. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med 1994;154:2666–2677.
, , . . ;:–.4. JF Plouffe RF Breiman RR Facklam Bacteremia with Implications for therapy and prevention. Franklin County Pneumonia Study GroupStreptococcus pneumoniae. JAMA 1996 275 194198
6. SL Berk , KA Gage SA Holtsclaw-Berk , JK Smith . Type 8 pneumococcal pneumonia: an outbreak on an oncology ward. South Med J 1985;78:159–161.
11. A DeMaria Jr, K Browne , SL Berk , EJ Sherwood , WR McCabe . An outbreak of type 1 pneumococcal pneumonia in a men's shelter. JAMA 1980;244:1446–1449.
12. CW Hoge , MR Reichler , EA Dominguez , JC Bremer , TD Mastro , Hendricks KA et al. An epidemie of pneumococcal disease in an overcrowded, inadequately ventilated jail. N Engl J Med 1994;331:643–648.
14. T Cherian , MC Steinhoff , LH Harrison , D Rohn , LK McDougal , J Diek . A cluster of invasive pneumococcal disease in young children in child care JAMA 1994;271:695–697.
16. AS Craig , PC Erwin , W Schaffner , JA Elliott , WL Moore , XT Ussery , et al. Carriage of multidrug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae and impact of chemoprophylaxis during an outbreak of meningitis at a day care center. Clin Infect Dis 1999;29:1257–1264.
18. RE Quick , CW Hoge , DJ Hamilton , CJ Whitney , M Borges , JM Kobayashi . Underutilization of pneumococcal vaccine in nursing home in Washington State: report of a serotype-specific outbreak and a survey. Am J Med 1993;94:149–152.
21. JP Nuorti , JC Bufler , JM Crutcher , R Guevara , D Welch , P Holder , et al. An outbreak of multidrug-resistant pneumococcal pneumonia and bacteremia among unvaccinated nursing home residents. N Engl J Med 1998;338:1861–1868.
22. AE Fiore , C Iverson , T Messmer , D Erdman , SM Lett , DF Talkington , et al. Outbreak of pneumonia in a long-term care facility: antecedent human parainfluenza virus 1 infection may predispose to bacterial pneumonia. J Am Geriatr Soc 1998;46:1112–1117.
23. DC Sheppard , KA Bartiett HW Lampiris . Streptococcus pneumoniae transmission in chronic-care facilities: description of an outbreak and review of management strategies. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998;19:851–853.
24. JA Tharpe H Russell , M Leionen , BD Plikaytis , RF Breinum , GM Cartone , et al. Comparison of a pneumococcal common protein (PsaA) antibody ELISA and a PsaA immune complex ELISA for detection of pneumococcal serum antibody. Pathobiology 1998;66:77–83.
27. JC Butler , MS Cetron . Pneumococcal drug resistance: the new “special enemy of old age.” Clin Infect Dis 1999;28:730–735.
28. J Rello , R Rodriguez , P Jubert , B Alvarez . Severe community-acquired pneumonia in the elderly: epidemiology and prognosis. Study Group for Severe Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 1996;23:723–728.
29. TJ Marrie , H Durant , L Yates . Community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization: 5-year prospective study. Rev Infect Dis 1989;11:586–599.
30. RR Muder , C Brennen , MM Wagener , AM Goetz . Bacteremia in a long-term-care facility: a five-year prospective study of 163 consecutive episodes. Clin Infect Dis 1992;14:647–654.
31. GD Fang , M Fine , J Orloff , D Arisumi , VL Yu , W Kapoor , et al. New and emerging etiologies for community-acquired pneumonia with implications for therapy. A prospective multicenter study of 359 cases. Medicine (Baltimore) 1990;69:307–316.
34. ED Shapiro , AT Berg , R Austrian , D Schroeder , V Parcellis , A Margolis et al. The protective efficacy of polyvalent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. N Engl J Med 1991;325:1453–1460.
35. JH Jorgensen , AW Howell , LA Maher RR Facklam Serotypes of respiratory isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae compared with the capsular types included in the current pneumococcal vaccine. J Infect Dis 1991;163:644–646.
37. CM Mandigers , RJ Diepersloot , M Dessens , SJ Mol , B van Klingeren . A hospital outbreak of penicillin-resistant pneumococci in The Netherlands. Eur Respir J 1994;7:1635–1639.
38. M Denton , PM Hawkey , CM Hoy , C Porter . Co-existent cross-infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae and group B streptococci on an adult oncology unit. J Hosp Infect 1993;23:271–278.
39. TD Cartmili , H Panigrahi . Hospital outbreak of multiresistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Hosp Infect 1992;20:130–132.
40. S Dawson , A Pallett A Davidson A Tuck Outbreak of multiresistant pneumococci. J Hosp Infect 1992;22:328–329.
42. SH Gillespie , TD McHugh , JE Hughes , Dickens A MS Kyi , M Kelsey . An outbreak of penicillin resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae investigated by a polymerase chain reaction based genotyping method. J Clin Pathol 1997;50:847–851.
43. MR Millar , NM Brown , GW Tobin , PJ Murphy , AC Windsor , DC Speller . Outbreak of infection with penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in a hospital for the elderly. J Hosp Infect 1994;27:99–104.
46. R Dagan , S Gradstein , I Belmaker , N Porat , Y Siton , G Weber , et al. An outbreak of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 1 in a closed community in southern Israel. Clin Infect Dis 2000;319–321.
48. BE de Galan , PM van Tilburg , M Sluijter , SJ Mol , R de Groot , PW Hermans , et al. Hospital-related outbreak of infection with multidrug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in The Netherlands. J Hosp Infect 1999;42:185–192.
49. AJ Davies , PM Hawkey , RA Simpson KM O'Connor . Pneumococcal cross infection in hospital. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1984;288:1195.
50. MR Reichler , J Rakovsky , Sobotova A M Slacikova , B Hlavacova , B Hill , et al. Multiple antimicrobial resistance of pneumococci in children with otitis media, bacteremia and meningitis in Sovakia. J Inject Dis 1995;171:1491–1496.
51. S Mehtar , YJ Drabu , S Vijeratnam , E Mayet Cross infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae through a resuscitale. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1986;292:25–26.
52. EP Moore , EW Williams . Hospital transmission of multiply antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Infect 1988;16:199–200.
53. FK Gould , JG Magee , HR Ingham . A hospital outbreak of antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Infect 1987;15:77–79.
54. A Mercat , J Nguyen , B Dautzenberg . An outbreak of pneumococcal pneumonia in two men's shelters. Chest 1991;99:147–151.
55. PE Kim , DM Musher , WP Glezen , MC Rodriguez-Barradas , WK Nahm , CE Wright . Association of invasive pneumococcal disease with season, atmospheric conditions, air pollution, and the isolation of respiratory viruses. Clin Infect Dis 1996;22:100–106.
57. M Loeb , A McGeer , M McArthur , S Walter , AE Simor . Risk factors for pneumonia and other lower respiratory tract infections in elderly residents of long-term care facilities. Arch Intern Med 1999;159:2058–2064.
58. PH Orr , RW Peeling , M Fast , J Brunka , H Duckworth , GK Harding , et al. Serological study of responses to selected pathogens causing respiratory tract infection in the institutionalized elderly. Clin Infect Dis 1996;23:1240–1245.
59. BJ Marston , JF Plouffe , TM File Jr, BA Hackman , SJ Salstrom , HB Lipman , et al. Incidence of community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization. Results of a population-based active surveillance study in Ohio. The Community-Based Pneumonia Incidence Study Group. Arch Intern Med 1997;157:1709–1718.
, , , , , , . . ;:–.60. CJ Troy RW Peeling AG Ellis JC Hockin DA Bennett MR Murphy et al as a new source of infectious outbreaks in nursing homesChlamydia pneumoniae JAMA 1997 277 12141218
61. MT Kauppinen , E Herva , P Kujala , M Leinonen , P Saikku , H Syrjala . The etiology of community-acquired pneumonia among hospitalized patients during a Chlamydia pneumoniae epidemic in Finland. J Infect Dis 1995;172:1330–1335.
62. JT Grayston . Infections caused by Chlamydia pneumoniae strain TWAR. Clin Infect Dis 1992;15:757–761.
63. M Kauppinen , P Saikka . Pneumonia due to Chlamydia pneumoniae: prevalence, clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment. Clin Infect Dis 1995;21(suppl 3):S244–S252.
66. D Musher , JE Groover , EA Graviss , RE Baughn . The lack of association between aging and postvaccination levels of IgG antibody to capsular polysaccharides of Streptococcus pneumoniae. Clin Infect Dis 1995;22:165–167.
67. JU Hedlund , ME Kalin , AB Ortqvist , J Henrichsen . Antibody response to pneumococcal vaccine in middle-aged and elderly patients recenuy treated for pneumonia. Arch Intern Med 1994;154:1961–1965.
69. RS Klein , N Adachi . An effective hospital-based pneumococcal immunization program. Arch Intern Med 1986;146:327–329.
70. LA Jackson P Benson , VP Sneller , JC Butler , RS Thompson , RT Chen , et al. Safety of revaccination with pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. JAMA 1999;281:243–248.