This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
5. SS Huang , E Septimus , K Kleinman , et al. Targeted versus universal decolonization to prevent ICU infection. N Engl J Med 2013;368:2255–2265.
7. Y Donchin , D Gopher , M Olin , et al. A look into the nature and causes of human errors in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 1995;23:294–300.
8. Y Donchin , FJ Seagull . The hostile environment of the intensive care unit. Curr Opin Crit Care 2002;8:316–320.
9. ME Semel , AM Bader , A Marston , SR Lipsitz , RE Marshall , AA Gawande . Measuring the range of services clinicians are responsible for in ambulatory practice. J Eval Clin Pract 2012;18:404–408.
10. AP Gurses , KL Seidl , V Vaidya , et al. Systems ambiguity and guideline compliance: a qualitative study of how intensive care units follow evidence-based guidelines to reduce healthcare-associated infections. Qual Saf Health Care 2008;17:351–359.
12. MD Oriol . Crew resource management: applications in healthcare organizations. J Nurs Adm 2006;36:402–406.
15. P Carayon , A Xie , S Kianfar . Human factors and ergonomics as a patient safety practice. BMJ Qual Saf 2014;23:196–205.
16. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al. An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2725–2732.
17. JE Patterson , PN Malani , LL Maragakis . Infection control in the intensive care unit: progress and challenges in systems and accountability. Crit Care Med 2010;38:S265–S268.
18. J Reason . Human error: models and management. BMJ 2000;320:768–770.
19. C Vincent , S Taylor-Adams , N Stanhope . Framework for analysing risk and safety in clinical medicine. BMJ 1998;316:1154–1157.
20. BT Karsh , RJ Holden , SJ Alper , CK Or . A human factors engineering paradigm for patient safety: designing to support the performance of the healthcare professional. Qual Saf Health Care 2006;15:159–165.
24. A Donabedian . The quality of medical care. Science 1978;200:856–864.
25. P Carayon , A Schoofs Hundt , BT Karsh , et al. Work system design for patient safety: the SEIPS model. Qual Saf Health Care 2006;15(15 suppl 1):i50–i58.
26. H Singh , EJ Thomas , S Mani , et al. Timely follow-up of abnormal diagnostic imaging test results in an outpatient setting: are electronic medical records achieving their potential? Arch Intern Med 2009;169:1578–1586.
27. MA Chui , DA Mott , L Maxwell . A qualitative assessment of a community pharmacy cognitive pharmaceutical services program, using a work system approach. Res Social Adm Pharm 2012;8:206–216.
28. P Carayon , TB Wetterneck , AJ Rivera-Rodriguez , et al. Human factors systems approach to healthcare quality and patient safety. Appl Ergon 2014;45:14–25.
30. SM McGlone , RR Bailey , SM Zimmer , et al. The economic burden of Clostridium difficile. Clin Microbiol Infect 2012;18:282–289.
31. VG Loo , L Poirier , MA Miller , et al. A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile–associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2442–2449.
32. LV McFarland , ME Mulligan , RY Kwok , WE Stamm . Nosocomial acquisition of Clostridium difficile infection. N Engl J Med 1989;320:204–210.
33. H Honda , ER Dubberke . The changing epidemiology of Clostridium difficile infection. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2014;30:54–62.
34. MD Zilberberg , GS Tillotson , C McDonald . Clostridium difficile infections among hospitalized children, United States, 1997–2006. Emerg Infect Dis 2010;16:604–609.
35. KW Garey , ZD Jiang , Y Yadav , B Mullins , K Wong , HL Dupont . Peripartum Clostridium difficile infection: case series and review of the literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2008;199:332–337.
37. A Card . A new tool for hazard analysis and force-field analysis: the Lovebug diagram. Clin Risk 2013;19:87–89.
38. KL Carman , P Dardess , M Maurer , et al. Patient and family engagement: a framework for understanding the elements and developing interventions and policies. Health Aff (Millwood) 2013;32:223–231.