This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. Re Rothman , CB Irvin , GJ Moran , et al. Respiratory hygiene in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2006;48:570–582.
5. P Lu , CB Bridges , GL Euler , JA Singleton . Influenza vaccination of recommended adult populations, U.S., 1989-2005. Vaccine. 2008;26:1786–1793.
6. MJ Parker , RD Goldman . Paediatric emergency department staff perceptions of infection control measures against severe acute respiratory syndrome. Emerg Med J 2006;23:349–353.
EL Daugherty , TM Perl , L Rubinson , A Bilderback , CS Rand . Survey study of the knowledge, attitudes, and expected behaviors of critical care clinicians regarding an influenza pandemic. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
8. L Temime , L Opatowski , Y Pannet , C Brun-Buisson , PY Boelle , D Guillemot . Peripatetic health-care workers as potential superspreaders. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009;106:18420–18425
9. CD Salgado , BM Farr , KK Hall , FG Hayden . Influenza in the acute hospital setting. Lancet Infect Dis 2002;2:145–155.
11. DK Sokol . Virulent epidemics and scope of healthcare workers' duty of care. Emerg Infect Dis 2006;12:1238–1241.
15. K Hancock , V Veguilla , X Lu , et al. Cross-reactive antibody responses to the 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza virus. N Engl J Med 2009;361:1945–1952.
18. V Veguilla , K Hancock , J Schiffer , et al. Sensitivity and specificity of serologic assays for detection of human infection with 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus in U.S. populations. J Clin Microbiol 2011;49(6):2210–2215.
20. M Loeb , N Dafoe , J Mahony , et al. Surgical mask vs. N95 respirator for preventing influenza among health care workers: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2009;302:1865–1871.
22. B Ang , BF Poh , MK Win , A Chow . Surgical masks for protection of health care personnel against pandemic novel swine-origin influenza A (H1N1)-2009: results from an observational study. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50:1011–1014.
24. A Tiwari , DP Patnayak , Y Chander , M Parsad , SM Goyal . Survival of two avian respiratory viruses on porous and nonporous surfaces. Avian Dis 2006;50:284–287.
25. S Mubareka , AC Lowen , J Steel , AL Coates , A García-Sastre , P Palese . Transmission of influenza virus via aerosols and fomites in the guinea pig model. J Infect Dis 2009;199:858–865.
26. AE Aiello , GF Murray , V Perez , et al. Mask use, hand hygiene, and seasonal influenza-like illness among young adults: a randomized intervention trial. J Infect Dis 2010;201:491–498.
27. BJ Cowling , K-H Chan , VJ Fang , et al. Facemasks and hand hygiene to prevent influenza transmission in households: a cluster randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2009;151:437–446.
28. C Brown , W Kondro . Conflict emerges over value of handwashing as a preventive flu transmission measure. CMAJ 2009;181:667.
29. JA Wilde , JA McMillan , J Serwint , J Buttan , MA O'Riordan , MC Steinhoff . Effectiveness of influenza vaccine in health care professionals: a randomized trial. JAMA. 1999;281:908–913.
CD Santos , RB Bristow , JV Vbrenkamp . Which health care workers were most affected during the spring 2009 H1N1 pandemic?
Disaster Med Public Health Prep
31. WR Jarvis . Infection control and changing health-care delivery systems. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7:170–173.
33. JTF Lau , KS Fung , TW Wong , et al. SARS transmission among hospital workers in Hong Kong. Emerg Infect Dis 2004;10:280–286.
W Turnberg , W Daniell , T Simpson , et al. Personal healthcare worker (HCW) and work-site characteristics that affect HCWs' use of respiratory-infection control measures in ambulatory healthcare settings. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
36. F Carrat , E Vergu , NM Ferguson , et al. Time lines of infection and disease in human influenza: a review of volunteer challenge studies. Am J Epidemiol 2008;167:775–785.
37. LL Lau , BJ Cowling , VJ Fang , et al. Viral shedding and clinical illness in naturally acquired influenza virus infections. J Infect Dis 2010;201:1509–1516.
38. KK To , KH Chan , IW Li , et al. Viral load in patients infected with pandemic H1N1 2009 influenza A virus. J Med Virol 2010;82:1–7.
39. E Patrozou , LA Mermel . Does influenza transmission occur from asymptomatic infection or prior to symptom onset? Public Health Rep 2009;124:193–196.
TC Ng , N Lee , SC Hui , R Lai , M Ip . Preventing healthcare workers from acquiring influenza. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
43. S Cauchemez , CA Donnelly , C Reed , et al. Household transmission of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus in the United States. N Engl J Med 2009;361:2619–2627.
44. VC Cheng , JW Tai , LM Wong , et al. Prevention of nosocomial transmission of swine-origin pandemic influenza virus A/H1N1 by infection control bundle. J Hosp Infect 2010;74:271–277.
45. EL Daugherty , TM Perl , DM Needham , L Rubinson , A Bilderback , CS Rand . The use of personal protective equipment for control of influenza among critical care clinicians: a survey study. Crit Care Med 2009;37:1210–1216.
46. D Moore , B Gamage , E Bryce , R Copes , A Yassi ; BC Interdisciplinary Respiratory Protection Study Group. Protecting health care workers from SARS and other respiratory pathogens: organizational and individual factors that affect adherence to infection control guidelines. Am J Infect Control 2005;33:88–96.