This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. JG Bartlett . A call to arms: the imperative for antimicrobial stewardship. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53(Suppl 1):S4–S7.
5. HW Boucher , GH Talbot , JS Bradley , et al.Bad bugs, no drugs: no ESKAPE! an update from the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:1–12.
6. TH Dellit , RC Owens , JE McGowan , et al.Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:159–177.
7. ST Micek , EC Welch , J Khan , et al.Empiric combination antibiotic therapy is associated with improved outcome against sepsis due to gram-negative bacteria: a retrospective analysis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010;54:1742–1748.
8. MH Kollef , G Sherman , S Ward , VJ Fraser . Inadequate anti-microbial treatment of infections: a risk factor for hospital mortality among critically ill patients. Chest 1999;115:462–474.
9. DC Classen , SL Pestotnik , RS Evans , JP Burke . Computerized surveillance of adverse drug events in hospital patients. JAMA 1991;266:2847–2851.
10. N Shehab , PR Patel , A Srinivasan , DS Budnitz . Emergency department visits for antibiotic-associated adverse events. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47:735–743.
11. CA Ohl , VP Luther . Antimicrobial stewardship for inpatient facilities. J Hosp Med 2011;6(Suppl 1):S4–S15.
12. MT Hecker , DC Aron , NP Patel , MK Lehmann , CJ Donskey . Unnecessary use of antimicrobials in hospitalized patients: current patterns of misuse with an emphasis on the antianaerobic spectrum of activity. Arch Intern Med 2003;163:972–978.
13. TM File Jr JS Solomkin , SE Cosgrove . Strategies for improving antimicrobial use and the role of antimicrobial stewardship programs. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53(Suppl 1):S15–S22.
14. P Davey , E Brown , L Fenelon , et al.Interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing practices for hospital inpatients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;(4):CD003543.
15. K Thursky . Use of computerized decision support systems to improve antibiotic prescribing. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2006;4:491–507.
16. SL Pestotnik , DC Classen , RS Evans , JP Burke . Implementing antibiotic practice guidelines through computer-assisted decision support: clinical and financial outcomes. Ann Intern Med 1996;124:884–890.
17. JA Welker , M Huston , JD McCue . Antibiotic timing and errors in diagnosing pneumonia. Arch Intern Med 2008;168:351–356.
18. BA Nicks , DE Manthey , MT Fitch . The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) community-acquired pneumonia core measures lead to unnecessary antibiotic administration by emergency physicians. Acad Emerg Med 2009;16:184–187.
19. ME Charlson , P Pompei , KL Ales , CR MacKenzie . A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis 1987;40:373–383.
23. J Avorn , DH Solomon . Cultural and economic factors that (mis)shape antibiotic use: the nonpharmacologic basis of therapeutics. Ann Intern Med 2000;133:128–135.
24. RS Evans , DC Classen , SL Pestotnik , HP Lundsgaarde , JP Burke . Improving empiric antibiotic selection using computer decision support. Arch Intern Med 1994;154:878–884.
25. JF Westphal , F Jehl , H Javelot , C Nonnenmacher . Enhanced physician adherence to antibiotic use guidelines through increased availability of guidelines at the time of drug ordering in hospital setting. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2011;20:162–168.
26. MH Samore , K Bateman , SC Alder , et al.Clinical decision support and appropriateness of antimicrobial prescribing: a randomized trial. JAMA 2005;294:2305–2314.
27. TJ Bright , A Wong , R Dhurjati , et al.Effect of clinical decision-support systems: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2012;157:29–43.
29. JC McGregor , E Weekes , GN Forrest , et al.Impact of a computerized clinical decision support system on reducing inappropriate antimicrobial use: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2006;13:378–384.
30. V Sintchenko , E Coiera , GL Gilbert . Decision support systems for antibiotic prescribing. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2008;21:573–579.
31. KA Thursky , KL Buising , N Bak , et al.Reduction of broad-spectrum antibiotic use with computerized decision support in an intensive care unit. Int J Qual Health Care 2006;18:224–231.
32. R Kaki , M Elligsen , S Walker , A Simor , L Palmay , N Daneman . Impact of antimicrobial stewardship in critical care: a systematic review. J Antimicrob Chemother 2011;66:1223–1230.
33. E Charani , J Cooke , A Holmes . Antibiotic stewardship programmes: what's missing? J Antimicrob Chemother 2010;65:2275–2277.
34. DC Classen , DW Bates . Finding the meaning in meaningful use. N Engl J Med 2011;365:855–858.
35. JA Osheroff , JM Teich , B Middleton , EB Steen , A Wright , DE Detmer . A roadmap for national action on clinical decision support. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2007;14:141–145.