This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. NP O'Grady , M Alexander , EP Dellinger , et al. Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:759–769.
2. DG Maki , CJ Alvarado , MA Ringer A prospective, randomized trial of povidone-iodine, alcohol and Chlorhexidine for prevention of infection with central venous and arterial catheters. Lancet 1991;338:339–343.
3. II Raad , DC Hohn , BJ Gilbreath , et al. Prevention of central venous catheter-related infections by using maximal sterile barrier precautions during insertion. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15:231–238.
4. I Raad , R Darouiche J Dupuis , et al. Central venous catheters coated with minocycline and rifampin for the prevention of catheter-related colonization and bloodstream infections: a randomized, double-blind trial. Ann Intern Med 1997;127:267–275.
5. DG Maki , SM Stolz , S Wheeler , LA Mermel . Prevention of central venous catheter-related bloodstream infection by use of an antiseptic-impregnated catheter: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1997;127:257–265.
6. RO Darouiche , II Raad , SO Heard , et al. A comparison of two antimicrobial-impregnated central venous catheters. N Engl J Med 1999;340:1–8.
7. RJ Sherertz , EW Ely , DM Westbrook , et al. Education of training physicians can decrease the risk of vascular catheter infections. Ann Intern Med 2000;132:641–648.
8. P Eggimann , S Harbarth , MN Constantin , et al. Impact of a prevention strategy targeted at vascular-access care on incidence of infections acquired in intensive care. Lancet 2000;355:1864–1868.
11. SK Fridkin , SM Pear , TH Williamson , JN Galgiani , WR Jarvis . The role of understating in central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:150–158.
12. LK Archibald , M Ramos , MJ Arduino , et al. Enterobacter cloacae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa polymicrobial bloodstream infections traced to extrinsic contamination of a dextrose multidose vial. J Pediatr 1998;133:640–644.
14. F Wright , DK Heyland , JW Drover , S McDonald , D Zoutman . Antibiotic-coated central lines: do they work in the critical care setting? Clinical Intensive Care 2001;12:21–28.
15. BJ McNeil . Shattuck lecture: hidden barriers to improvement in the quality of care. N Engl J Med 2001;345:1612–1620.
16. PJ Greco , JM Eisenberg . Changing physician practices. N Engl J Med 1993;329:1271–1274.
17. MD Cabana , CS Rand , NR Powe et al. Why don't physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement. JAMA 1999;282:1458–1465.
18. K Harms , E Herting , M Kron , et al. Randomized, controlled trial of amoxicillin prophylaxis for prevention of catheter-related infections in newborn infants with central venous silicone elastomer catheters. J Pediatr 1995;127:615–619.
22. R McKee , R Dunsmuir M Whitby , OJ Garden . Does antibiotic prophylaxis at the time of catheter insertion reduce the incidence of catheter-related sepsis in intravenous nutrition? J Hosp Infect 1985;6:419–425.
23. CT Cowl , JV Weinstock , A Al-Jurf , K Ephgrave , JA Murray K Dillon . Complications and cost associated with parenteral nutrition delivered to hospitalized patients through either subclavian or peripherally-inserted central catheters. Clin Nutr 2000;19:237–243.
24. RW Haley , DA Bregman . The role of understaffing and overcrowding in recurrent outbreaks of staphylococcal infection in a neonatal special-care unit. J Infect Dis 1982;145:875–885.
25. C Kovner , PJ Gergen . Nurse staffing levels and adverse events following surgery in U.S. hospitals. Image Journal of Nursing Schools 1998;30:315–321.
26. T Sasichay-Akkadechanunt , CC Sealzi , AF Jawad . The relationship between nurse staffing and patient outcomes. Journal of Nursing Administration 2003;33:478–485.
27. J Needleman , P Buerhaus , S Mattke , M Stewart , K Zelevinsky . Nurse-staffing levels and the quality of care in hospitals. N Engl J Med 2002;346:1715–1722.
28. LH Aiken , SP Clarke , DM Sloane , J Sochalski , JH Silber . Hospital nurse staffing and patient mortality, nurse burnout, and job dissatisfaction. JAMA 2002;288:1987–1993.