This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JZ Ayanian , MB Landrum , SL Normand , E Guadagnoli , BJ McNeil . Rating the appropriateness of coronary angiography – do practicing physicians agree with an expert panel and with each other? N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1896–1904.
2. AE Barnato , AM Garber . Performance of the RAND appropriateness criteria. Med Decis Making. 2003;23:122–130.
3. LA Bergthold . Medical necessity: Do we need it? Health Aff (Millwood). 1995;14:180–190.
6. SA Buetow , B Sibbald , JA Cantrill , Appropriateness in health care: Application to prescribing. Soc Sci Med. 1997;45:261–271.
7. RA Caplan , KL Posner , FW Cheney . Effect of outcome on physician judgments of appropriateness of care. JAMA. 1991;265:1957–1960.
8. AF Casparie . The ambiguous relationship between practice variation and appropriateness of care: An agenda for further research. Health Policy. 1996;35:247–265.
10. C Charles , J Lomas , M Giacomini . Medical necessity in Canadian health policy: Four meanings and . . . a funeral? Milbank Q. 1997;75:365–394.
11. WE Ford . Medical necessity and psychiatric managed care. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2000;23:309–317.
12. GM Fraser , D Pilpel , J Kosecoff , Effect of panel composition on appropriateness ratings. Int J Qual Health Care. 1994;6:251–255.
14. JR Hampton . Editorial comment – Ideal treatment and appropriate treatment. Int J Cardiol. 2001;78:221–223.
15. NR Hicks . Some observations on attempts to measure appropriateness of care. BMJ. 1994;309:730–733.
17. JP Kahan , SJ Bernstein , LL Leape , Measuring the necessity of medical procedures. Med Care. 1994;32:357–365.
20. P Lazaro , K Fitch . From universalism to selectivity: Is ‘appropriateness’ the answer? Health Policy. 1996;36:261–272.
22. LL Leape , RE Park , DH Solomon , Does inappropriate use explain small-area variations in the use of health-care services. JAMA. 1990;263:669–672.
23. M McClellan , RH Brook . Appropriateness of care. A comparison of global and outcome methods to set standards. Med Care. 1992;30:565–586.
24. CD Naylor . What is appropriate care? N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1918–1920.
25. RE Park , A Fink , RH Brook , Physician ratings of appropriate indications for six medical and surgical procedures. Am J Public Health. 1986;76:766–772.
26. MV Pauly . What is unnecessary surgery? Milbank Mem Fund Q Health Soc. 1979;57:95–117.
27. CE Phelps . The methodologic foundations of studies of the appropriateness of medical care. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1241–1245.
28. DL Sackett . Rules of evidence and clinical recommendations on the use of antithrombotic agents. Chest. 1989;95 (Suppl 2):2S-4S.
29. VA Sharpe . The politics, economics, and ethics of “appropriateness”. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 1997;7:337–343.
30. VA Sharpe , AI Faden . Appropriateness in patient care: A new conceptual framework. Milbank Q. 1996;74:115–138.
31. P Shekelle . The appropriateness method. Med Decis Making. 2004;24:228–231.
32. JE Wennberg . Dealing with medical practice variations: A proposal for action. Health Aff (Millwood). 1984;3:6–32.
34. RS Woodward , F Warren-Boulton . Considering the effects of financial incentives and professional ethics on ‘appropriate’ medical care. J Health Econ. 1984;3:223–237.