1. Ayanian JZ, Landrum MB, Normand SL, Guadagnoli E, McNeil BJ. Rating the appropriateness of coronary angiography – do practicing physicians agree with an expert panel and with each other? N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1896–1904.
2. Barnato AE, Garber AM. Performance of the RAND appropriateness criteria. Med Decis Making. 2003;23:122–130.
3. Bergthold LA. Medical necessity: Do we need it? Health Aff (Millwood). 1995;14:180–190.
4. Brook RH, Chassin MR, Fink A et al. , A method for the detailed assessment of the appropriateness of medical technologies. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 1986;2:53–63.
5. Brook RH, Kamberg CJ. Appropriateness of the use of cardiovascular procedures: A method and results of this application. Schweiz Med Wochenschr. 1993;123:249–253.
6. Buetow SA, Sibbald B, Cantrill JA et al. , Appropriateness in health care: Application to prescribing. Soc Sci Med. 1997;45:261–271.
7. Caplan RA, Posner KL, Cheney FW. Effect of outcome on physician judgments of appropriateness of care. JAMA. 1991;265:1957–1960.
8. Casparie AF. The ambiguous relationship between practice variation and appropriateness of care: An agenda for further research. Health Policy. 1996;35:247–265.
9. Caulfield TA. Wishful thinking: Defining “medically necessary” in Canada. Health Law J. 1996;4:63–85.
10. Charles C, Lomas J, Giacomini M. Medical necessity in Canadian health policy: Four meanings and . . . a funeral? Milbank Q. 1997;75:365–394.
11. Ford WE. Medical necessity and psychiatric managed care. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2000;23:309–317.
12. Fraser GM, Pilpel D, Kosecoff J et al. , Effect of panel composition on appropriateness ratings. Int J Qual Health Care. 1994;6:251–255.
13. Greer AL, Goodwin JS, Freeman JL et al. , Bringing the patient back in: Guidelines, practice variations, and the social context of medical practice. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2002;18:747–761.
14. Hampton JR. Editorial comment – Ideal treatment and appropriate treatment. Int J Cardiol. 2001;78:221–223.
15. Hicks NR. Some observations on attempts to measure appropriateness of care. BMJ. 1994;309:730–733.
16. Jacobson PD, Asch S, Glassman PA, Model KE, Hernandez JB. Defining and implementing medical necessity in Washington State and Oregon. Inquiry. 1997;34:143–154.
17. Kahan JP, Bernstein SJ, Leape LL et al. , Measuring the necessity of medical procedures. Med Care. 1994;32:357–365.
18. Kosecoff J, Fink A, Chassin MR, Brook RH. The appropriateness of medical services. Healthspan. 1987;4:18–21.
19. Lavis JN, Anderson GM. Appropriateness in health care delivery: Definitions, measurement and policy implications. CMAJ. 1996;154:321–328.
20. Lazaro P, Fitch K. From universalism to selectivity: Is ‘appropriateness’ the answer? Health Policy. 1996;36:261–272.
21. Leape LL. Unnecessary surgery. Health Serv Res. 1989;24:351–407.
22. Leape LL, Park RE, Solomon DH et al. , Does inappropriate use explain small-area variations in the use of health-care services. JAMA. 1990;263:669–672.
23. McClellan M, Brook RH. Appropriateness of care. A comparison of global and outcome methods to set standards. Med Care. 1992;30:565–586.
24. Naylor CD. What is appropriate care? N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1918–1920.
25. Park RE, Fink A, Brook RH et al. , Physician ratings of appropriate indications for six medical and surgical procedures. Am J Public Health. 1986;76:766–772.
26. Pauly MV. What is unnecessary surgery? Milbank Mem Fund Q Health Soc. 1979;57:95–117.
27. Phelps CE. The methodologic foundations of studies of the appropriateness of medical care. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1241–1245.
28. Sackett DL. Rules of evidence and clinical recommendations on the use of antithrombotic agents. Chest. 1989;95 (Suppl 2):2S-4S.
29. Sharpe VA. The politics, economics, and ethics of “appropriateness”. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 1997;7:337–343.
30. Sharpe VA, Faden AI. Appropriateness in patient care: A new conceptual framework. Milbank Q. 1996;74:115–138.
31. Shekelle P. The appropriateness method. Med Decis Making. 2004;24:228–231.
32. Wennberg JE. Dealing with medical practice variations: A proposal for action. Health Aff (Millwood). 1984;3:6–32.
33. Wennberg JE, Gittelsohn A, Shapiro N. Health care delivery in Maine III: Evaluating the level of hospital performance. J Maine Hosp Assoc. 1975;66:298–306.
34. Woodward RS, Warren-Boulton F. Considering the effects of financial incentives and professional ethics on ‘appropriate’ medical care. J Health Econ. 1984;3:223–237.