1. Aamodt A, Nordsletten L, Havelin LI et al. , Documentation of hip prostheses used in Norway. A critical review of the literature from 1996–2000. Acta Orthop Scand. 2004;75:663–676.
2. Allepuz A, Martinez O, Serra-Sutton V, Espallargues M. Catalan Arthroplasty Register. Structure and operation. RACat. Barcelona: Catalan Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Research. Catalan Health Service. Department of Health. Autonomous Government of Catalonia; 2008. http://www.gencat.net/salut/depsan/units/aatrm/html/en/dir404/doc8805.html. Accessed 3 July 2008.
3. Arthursson AJ, Furnes O, Espehaug B, Havelin LI, Soreide JA. Validation of data in the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register and the Norwegian Patient Register. 5134 primary total hip arthroplasties and revisions operated at a single hospital between 1987 and 2003. Acta Orthop. 2005;76:823–828.
5. Berry DJ, Kessler M, Morrey BF. Maintaining a hip registry for 25 years. Mayo Clinic experience. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997;344:61–68.
6. Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Lingard EA, Losina E, et al. . Psychosocial and geriatric correlates of functional status after total hip replacement. Arthritis Rheum. 2004;51:829–835.
7. Buckwalter AE, Callaghan JJ, Liu SS et al. , Results of Charnley total hip arthroplasty with use of improved femoral cementing techniques. A concise follow-up, at a minimum of twenty-five years, of a previous report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:1481–1485.
9. Carr JA, Higginson IJ, Robinson PG. Quality of life. London: BMJ Books; 2003.
11. Danish Knee Arthroplasty Register (DKAR). Annual Report for DKAR and Danish Orthopaedic Society. Aarhus, Denmark: DKAR; 2006.
12. Dunbar MJ. Subjective outcomes after knee arthroplasty [Doctoral thesis]. Lund, Sweden: Lund University Hospital; 2001.
13. Espehaug B, Furnes O, Havelin LI et al. , Registration completeness in the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthop. 2006;77:49–56.
14. Faulkner A, Kennedy LG, Baxter K et al. , Effectiveness of hip prostheses in primary total hip replacement: A critical review of evidence and an economic model. Health Technol Assess. 1998;2:1–33.
15. García-Cimbrelo E, Cruz-Pardos A, Madero R, Ortega-Andreu M. Total hip arthroplasty with use of the cementless Zweymuller Alloclassic system. A ten to thirteen-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:296–303.
16. Gliklich RE, Dreyer NA, eds. Registries for evaluating patient outcomes: In: User's guide. (Prepared by Outcome DEcIDE Center [Outcome Sciences, Inc. dba Outcome] under Contract No. HHSA29020050035I TO1. AHRQ Publication No. 07-EHC001–1). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2007.
17. Herberts P, Malchau H. Long-term registration has improved the quality of hip replacement. A review of the Swedish THR Register comparing 160,000 cases. Acta Orthop Scand. 2000;71:111–121.
18. Imaz Iglesia I, Aibar Remon C, Gonzalez Enriquez A, Gol Freixa J, Gómez López LJ. Características de 107 registros sanitarios españoles y valoración de su utilización [Characteristics of 107 Spanish health registers and assessment of their uses]. Rev Esp Salud Publica. 2005;79:17–34.
19. Jamtvedt G, Young JM, Kristoffersen DT, O'Brien MA, Oxman AD. Audit and feedback: Effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;19:CD000259.
22. Katz JN, Losina E, Barrett J et al. , Association between hospital and surgeon procedure volume and outcomes of hip replacement in the United States Medicare population. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001;83:1622–1629.
24. Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica-IOR. Report RIPO. Register of orthopedic prosthetic implantology. Overall data hip and knee arthroplasty in Emilia Romana Region 2000–2005. Bolonia, Italy: Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica-IOR; 2006. https://ripo.cineca.it/pdf/report_2006_ING.pdf. Accessed 3 July 2008.
26. Merx H, Dreinhöfer K, Schräder P et al. , International variations in hip replacement rates. Ann Rheum Dis. 2003;62:222–226.
27. Muir Gray JA. Evidence-based healthcare. How to make health policy and management decision. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1997.
30. National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE). Guidance on the selection of prostheses for primary total hip replacement. Technology appraisals guidance. London, England: NICE; 2000.
34. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). The OECD Health Project. Health technologies and decision making. Science Information Technology. Paris, France: OECD; 2005.
35. Pedersen AB, Johnsen SP, Overgaard S et al. , Registration of the Danish Hip Arthroplasty Registry. Completeness of total hip arthroplasties and positive predictive value of registered diagnosis and postoperative complications. Acta Orthop Scand. 2004;75:434–441.
36. Pons JMV. Marti Valls J, Granados A. Elements for the improvement of effectiveness and efficiency in hip prosthetic replacement. Catalonia, Spain: Catalan Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Research. Catalan Health Service. Department of Health; 1999. BR99006. http://www.gencat.net/salut/depsan/units/aatrm/pdf/br9906en.pdf. Accessed 3 July 2008.
37. Puolakka TJ, Pajamaki KJJ, Halonen PJ et al. , The Finnish Arthroplasty Register. Report of the hip register. Acta Orthop Scand. 2001;72:433–441.
39. Robertsson O. Knee arthroplasty registers. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89:1–4.
40. Romanian Arthroplasty register (RAR). Hip and knee endoprostheses. Activity report 2001-2003. Bucarest, Romania: The Ministry of Health and Family and National House of Health Insurance; 2004.
41. Serra-Sutton V, Allepuz A. Consenso sobre la organización de un registro de artroplastias en el Sistema Nacional de Salud. Estudio Delphi [Consensus on the organization of an arthroplasty register in the Spanish National Health System. Delphi study]. Informatiu AATRM 43. Barcelona: Catalan Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Research; 2008.
42. Shervin N, Rubash HE, Katz JN. Orthopeadic procedure volume and patient outcomes: A systematic literature review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;457:35–41.
43. The Norwegian Arthroplasty Register (NAR). The Norwegian Cruciate Ligament Register, the Norwegian Hip Fracture Register. Report 2006. Haukeland, Norway: NAR; 2006. www.haukeland.no/nrl/Report2006.pdf. Accessed 3 July 2008.
46. Torre M, Morciano C, D'Errigo P et al. , The EUPHORIC project: Outcome indicators collection in Europe. Results of the first phase. Eur J Public Health. 2007;17:213.
47. Wray NP, Hollingsworth JC, Peterson NJ, Ashton CM. Case-mix adjustment using administrative databases: A paradigm to guide for future research. Med Care Res Rev. 1997;51:326–356.