1. Barnett, HJM, Eliasziw, M, Meldrum, HE. Drugs and surgery in the prevention of ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:238–248.
2. Benjamin, JR, Cornell, CA. Probability, statistics, and decision for civil engineers. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1970.
3. Benjamin, EJ, Wolf, PA, D'Agostino, RB, et al. . Impact of atrial fibrillation on the risk of death—The Framingham Heart Study. Circulation. 1998;98:946–952.
4. Berry, DA. Using a Bayesian approach in medical device development. Publication for the U.S. Federal Food and Drug Administration's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Institute of Statistics & Decision Sciences and Comprehensive Cancer Center. Durham, NC: Duke University; 1997.
5. Buxton, M. Early assessment of health technologies - The state of the science. Presentation at CCOHTA/Euroscan Symposium ‘Early Assessment of Health Technologies’. Ottawa, Canada: October 12, 2000.
6. CCOHTA. CCOHTA/Euroscan Symposium on ‘Early Assessment of Health Technologies’. Conference Summary. Ottawa, Canada: Canadian Coordinating Office for Health Technology Assessment; 2000.
7. Clemen, RT. Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography. Int J Forecast. 1989;5:559–583.
8. Clemen, RT, Winkler, RL. Combining probability distributions from experts in risk analysis. Risk Anal. 1999;19:187–203.
9. Clemens, PL. Making component failure probability estimates. Tutorial Paper; Jacobs Sverdrup; 2002.
10. Dmochowski, RR, Galen, D. Evaluation of subacute tissue response in an animal model to evaluate a novel therapy to treat stress urinary incontinence. Presentation at the International Continence Society 30th annual meeting. Tampere, Finland; 2000.
11. Eddy, DM. Clinical decision making—From theory to practice. London UK: Jones and Bartlett Publishers International; 1996.
12. Goodman, C. HTA: Providing a scientific basis for the commercialization of innovative, cost-effective technologies. Panel presentation; ISTAHC 2003. Canmore, Canada; June 24, 2003.
13. Hagen, A, Dintsios, CM, Perleth, M, et al. Methods for the assessment of premarket (pm) biomedical innovations: A systematic review. In: The challenge of collaboration. Proceedings of the 18th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Technology Assessment in Health Care, Berlin; June 2002.
14. Henley, EJ, Kumamoto, H. Probabilistic risk assessment. New York: IEEE Press; 1991.
15. Howard, RA, Matheson, JE. Influence diagrams. In: Howard, RA, Matheson, JE, eds. The principles and applications of decision analysis. Menlo Park CA: Strategic Decision Group; 1984.
16. Laupacis, A, Boysen, G, Connolly, S, et al. Risk factors for stroke and efficacy of antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation. Arch Intern Med. 1994;154:1449–1457.
17. Murphy, DM, Paté-Cornell, ME. The SAM framework: Modeling the effects of management factors on human behavior in risk analysis. Risk Anal. 1996;16:501–515.
18. Murray, JW. Health technology assessment: Providing a scientific basis for the commercialization of innovative, cost-effective technologies. Panel presentation; 19th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Technology Assessment in Health Care. Canmore, Canada; June 24, 2003.
19. Obrzut, SL, Hecht, P, Hayashi, K, Fanton, GS. The effect of radiofrequency energy on the length and temperature properties of the glenohumeral joint capsule. Arthroscopy. 1998;14:395–400.
20. Pietzsch, JB, Paté-Cornell, ME, Krummel, TM. A framework for probabilistic assessment of new medical technologies. In: Spitzer, C, Schmocker, U, Dang, VN, eds. Probabilistic safety assessment and management (PSAM7-ESREL'04). Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management. London UK: Springer-Verlag; 2004:2224–2229.
21. Pietzsch, JB. Early-stage technology assessment: Methods and opportunities. Ital J Public Health 2005;2 (Suppl 1):74–75.
22. Powell, NB, Riley, RW, Troell, RJ, et al. Radiofrequency volumetric reduction of the tongue: A porcine pilot study for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Chest. 1997;111:1348–1355.
23. Powell, NB, Riley, RW, Troell, RJ, et al. Radiofrequency volumetric tissue reduction of the palate in subjects with sleep-disordered breathing. Chest. 1998;113:1163–1174.
24. Szczepura, A, Kankaanpää, J. An introduction to health technology assessment. In: Szczepura, A, Kankaanpää, J, eds. Assessment of health care technologies: Case studies, key concepts, and strategic issues. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1996.
25. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Reactor safety study: An assessment of accident risks in U.S. commercial nuclear power plants. US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, NUREG-75/014; 1975.
26. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for the use of Bayesian statistics in medical device clinical trials. Guidance Document; Washington DC: FDA CDRH; May 2006.
27. von Neumann, J, Morgenstern, O. Theory of games and economic behavior. 3rd ed. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press; 1953.