This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. VG De Gruttola , P Clax , DL DeMets , et al.Considerations in the evaluation of surrogate endpoints in clinical trials. Summary of a National Institutes of Health workshop. Control Clin Trials. 2001;22:485–502.
JS Yudkin , KJ Lipska , VM Montori . The idolatry of the surrogate. BMJ.
4. FH Messerli , S Bangalore . ALTITUDE Trial and Dual RAS Blockade: The alluring but soft science of the surrogate end point. Am J Med. 2013;126:e1–e3.
5. TR Fleming , DL DeMets . Surrogate end points in clinical trials: Are we being misled? Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:605–613.
6. O Ciani , M Buyse , R Garside , et al.Comparison of treatment effect sizes associated with surrogate and final patient relevant outcomes in randomised controlled trials: Meta-epidemiological study. BMJ. 2013;346:f457.
8. CJ Weir , RJ Walley . Statistical evaluation of biomarkers as surrogate endpoints: A literature review. Stat Med. 2006;25:183–203.
9. M Buyse , G Molenberghs , T Burzykowski , D Renard , H Geys . The validation of surrogate endpoints in meta-analyses of randomized experiments. Biostatistics. 2000;1:49–67.
10. M Buyse , DJ Sargent , A Grothey , A Matheson , A de Gramont . Biomarkers and surrogate end points–the challenge of statistical validation. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2010;7:309–317.
13. S Ellenberg , JM Hamilton . Surrogate endpoints in clinical trials: Cancer. Stat Med. 1989;8:405–413.
14. BK Dunn , E Akpa . Biomarkers as surrogate endpoints in cancer trials. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2012;28:99–108.
15. T Berghmans , F Pasleau , M Paesmans , et al.Surrogate markers predicting overall survival for lung cancer: ELCWP recommendations. Eur Respir J. 2012;39:9–28.
16. Q Shi , DJ Sargent . Meta-analysis for the evaluation of surrogate endpoints in cancer clinical trials. Int J Clin Oncol. 2009;14:102–111.
17. ED Saad , A Katz , M Buyse . Overall survival and post-progression survival in advanced breast cancer: A review of recent randomized clinical trials. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:1958–1962.
18. CC Jaffe . Measures of response: RECIST, WHO, and new alternatives. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:3245–3251.
EA Eisenhauer , P Therasse , J Bogaerts , et al.
New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: Revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1). Eur J Cancer.
21. JE Dancey , LE Dodd , R Ford , et al.Recommendations for the assessment of progression in randomised cancer treatment trials. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45:281–289.
22. P Tappenden , J Chilcott , S Ward , S Eggington , D Hind , S Hummel . Methodological issues in the economic analysis of cancer treatments. Eur J Cancer. 2006;42:2867–2875.
23. R Sridhara , JR Johnson , R Justice , et al.Review of oncology and hematology drug product approvals at the US Food and Drug Administration between July 2005 and December 2007. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:230–243.
25. RJ Bowater , LJ Bridge , RJ Lilford . The relationship between progression-free and post-progression survival in treating four types of metastatic cancer. Cancer Lett. 2008;262:48–53.
26. T Burzykowski , M Buyse . Surrogate threshold effect: An alternative measure for meta-analytic surrogate endpoint validation. Pharm Stat. 2006;5:173–186.
C Chirila , D Odom , G Devercelli , et al.
Meta-analysis of the association between progression-free survival and overall survival in metastatic colorectal cancer. Int J Colorectal Dis.
28. E Green , G Yothers , DJ Sargent . Surrogate endpoint validation: Statistical elegance versus clinical relevance. Stat Methods Med Res. 2008;17:477–486.
29. KR Johnson , C Ringland , BJ Stokes , et al.Response rate or time to progression as predictors of survival in trials of metastatic colorectal cancer or non-small-cell lung cancer: A meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2006;7:741–746.
30. B Sherrill , M Amonkar , Y Wu , et al.Relationship between effects on time-to-disease progression and overall survival in studies of metastatic breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2008;99:1572–1578.
31. M Buyse . Use of meta-analysis for the validation of surrogate endpoints and biomarkers in cancer trials. Cancer J. 2009;15:421–425.
33. L Lee , L Wang , M Crump . Identification of potential surrogate end points in randomized clinical trials of aggressive and indolent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: Correlation of complete response, time-to-event and overall survival end points. Ann Oncol. 2011;22:1392–1403.
34. F Tibaldi , FT Barbosa , G Molenberghs . Modelling associations between time-to-event responses in pilot cancer clinical trials using a Plackett-Dale model. Stat Med. 2004;23:2173–2186.
36. HC Bucher , GH Guyatt , DJ Cook , A Holbrook , FA McAlister . Users’ guides to the medical literature: XIX. Applying clinical trial results. A. How to use an article measuring the effect of an intervention on surrogate end points. Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. JAMA. 1999;282:771–778.
T Burzykowski , G Molenberghs , M Buyse , H Geys , D Renard . Validation of surrogate end points in multiple randomized clinical trials with failure time end points. J R Stat Soc Ser C Appl Stat. 2001;50:405–422.
41. E Amir , B Seruga , R Kwong , IF Tannock , A Ocana . Poor correlation between progression-free and overall survival in modern clinical trials: Are composite endpoints the answer? Eur J Cancer. 2012;48:385–388.
J Wilkerson , T Fojo . Progression-free survival is simply a measure of a drug's effect while administered and is not a surrogate for overall survival. Cancer J.
43. MY Polley , KR Lamborn , SM Chang , et al.Six-month progression-free survival as an alternative primary efficacy endpoint to overall survival in newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients receiving temozolomide. Neuro Oncol. 2010;12:274–282.
44. KV Ballman , JC Buckner , PD Brown , et al.The relationship between six-month progression-free survival and 12-month overall survival end points for phase II trials in patients with glioblastoma multiforme. Neuro Oncol. 2007;9:29–38.
45. C Louvet , A de Gramont , C Tournigand , P Artru , F Maindrault-Goebel , M Krulik . Correlation between progression free survival and response rate in patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Cancer. 2001;91:2033–2038.
46. PA Tang , SM Bentzen , EX Chen , LL Siu . Surrogate end points for median overall survival in metastatic colorectal cancer: Literature-based analysis from 39 randomized controlled trials of first-line chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:4562–4568.
47. M Buyse , T Burzykowski , K Carroll , et al.Progression-free survival is a surrogate for survival in advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:5218–5224.
K Hotta , Y Fujiwara , K Matsuo , et al.
Time to progression as a surrogate marker for overall survival in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol.
49. X Li , S Liu , H Gu , D Wang . Surrogate end points for survival in the target treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer with gefitinib or erlotinib. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2012;138:1963–1969.
50. SJ Mandrekar , Y Qi , SL Hillman , et al.Endpoints in phase II trials for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2010;5:3–9.
51. H Hayashi , I Okamoto , M Taguri , S Morita , K Nakagawa . Postprogression survival in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer who receive second-line or third-line chemotherapy. Clin Lung Cancer. 2013;14:261–266.
52. K Hotta , K Kiura , Y Fujiwara , et al.Role of survival post-progression in phase III trials of systemic chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A systematic review. PloS One. 2011;6:e26646.
53. T Burzykowski , M Buyse , MJ Piccart-Gebhart , et al.Evaluation of tumor response, disease control, progression-free survival, and time to progression as potential surrogate end points in metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:1987–1992.
54. A Hackshaw , A Knight , P Barrett-Lee , R Leonard . Surrogate markers and survival in women receiving first-line combination anthracycline chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2005;93:1215–1221.
56. PG Rose , C Tian , MA Bookman . Assessment of tumor response as a surrogate endpoint of survival in recurrent/platinum-resistant ovarian carcinoma: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol. 2010;117:324–329.
57. S Sundar , J Wu , K Hillaby , J Yap , R Lilford . A systematic review evaluating the relationship between progression free survival and post progression survival in advanced ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2012;125:493–499.
58. K Shitara , J Ikeda , T Yokota , et al.Progression-free survival and time to progression as surrogate markers of overall survival in patients with advanced gastric cancer: Analysis of 36 randomized trials. Invest New Drugs. 2012;30:1224–1231.
59. NR Foster , Y Qi , Q Shi , et al.Tumor response and progression-free survival as potential surrogate endpoints for overall survival in extensive stage small-cell lung cancer: Findings on the basis of North Central Cancer Treatment Group trials. Cancer. 2011;117:1262–1271.
S Halabi , NJ Vogelzang , SS Ou , K Owzar , L Archer , EJ Small . Progression-free survival as a predictor of overall survival in men with castrate-resistant prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol.
61. DY Heng , W Xie , GA Bjarnason , et al.Progression-free survival as a predictor of overall survival in metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with contemporary targeted therapy. Cancer. 2011;117:2637–2642.
62. TE Delea , A Khuu , DYC Heng , T Haas , D Soulieres . Association between treatment effects on disease progression end points and overall survival in clinical studies of patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 2012;107:1059–1068.
63. MK Parmar , V Torri , L Stewart . Extracting summary statistics to perform meta-analyses of the published literature for survival endpoints. Statist Med. 1998;17:2815–2834.
64. M Buyse , DJ Sargent , ED Saad . Survival is not a good outcome for randomized trials with effective subsequent therapies. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:4719–4720; author reply 4720–4721.
65. ED Saad , A Katz , PM Hoff , M Buyse . Progression-free survival as surrogate and as true end point: Insights from the breast and colorectal cancer literature. Ann Oncol. 2010;21:7–12.
66. O Ciani , RS Taylor . A more evidence based approach to the use of surrogate end points in policy making. BMJ. 2011;343:d6498.