This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. J Rotteveel , MM van Weissenbruch , JW Twisk , HA Delemarre-Van de Waal . Infant and childhood growth patterns, insulin sensitivity, and blood pressure in prematurely born young adults. Pediatrics. 2008; 122, 313–321.
3. AK Bonamy , A Bendito , H Martin , Preterm birth contributes to increased vascular resistance and higher blood pressure in adolescent girls. Pediatr Res. 2005; 58, 845–849.
4. S Johansson , A Iliadou , N Bergvall , Risk of high blood pressure among young men increases with the degree of immaturity at birth. Circulation. 2005; 112, 3430–3436.
5. LW Doyle , B Faber , C Callanan , R Morley . Blood pressure in late adolescence and very low birth weight. Pediatrics. 2003; 111, 252–257.
6. RJ Irving , NR Belton , RA Elton , BR Walker . Adult cardiovascular risk factors in premature babies. Lancet. 2000; 355, 2135–2136.
7. PL Hofman , F Regan , WE Jackson , Premature birth and later insulin resistance. N Engl J Med. 2004; 351, 2179–2186.
8. M Kaijser , AK Bonamy , O Akre , Perinatal risk factors for diabetes in later life. Diabetes. 2009; 58, 523–526.
9. P Hovi , S Andersson , JG Eriksson , Glucose regulation in young adults with very low birth weight. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356, 2053–2063.
10. I Koupil , DA Leon , HO Lithell . Length of gestation is associated with mortality from cerebrovascular disease. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2005; 59, 473–474.
11. JG Bensley , VK Stacy , R De Matteo , R Harding , MJ Black . Cardiac remodelling as a result of pre-term birth: Implications for future cardiovascular disease. Eur Heart J. 2010; 31, 2058–2066.
12. G Cohen , S Vella , H Jeffery , H Lagercrantz , M Katz-Salamon . Cardiovascular stress hyperreactivity in babies of smokers and in babies born preterm. Circulation. 2008; 118, 1848–1853.
13. S Johansson , M Norman , L Legnevall , Increased catecholamines and heart rate in children with low birth weight: perinatal contributions to sympathoadrenal overactivity. J Intern Med. 2007; 261, 480–487.
14. AK Bonamy , H Martin , G Jorneskog , M Norman . Lower skin capillary density, normal endothelial function and higher blood pressure in children born preterm. J Intern Med. 2007; 262, 635–642.
15. N Chapman , A Mohamudally , A Cerutti , Retinal vascular network architecture in low-birth-weight men. J Hypertens. 1997; 15, 1449–1453.
16. A Kistner , L Jacobson , SH Jacobson , E Svensson , A Hellstrom . Low gestational age associated with abnormal retinal vascularization and increased blood pressure in adult women. Pediatr Res. 2002; 51, 675–680.
17. P Mitchell , G Liew , E Rochtchina , Evidence of arteriolar narrowing in low-birth-weight children. Circulation. 2008; 118, 518–524.
18. AK Edstedt Bonamy , J Bengtsson , Z Nagy , H De Keyzer , M Norman . Preterm birth and maternal smoking in pregnancy are strong risk factors for aortic narrowing in adolescence. Acta Paediatr. 2008; 97, 1080–1085.
19. A Singhal , M Kattenhorn , TJ Cole , J Deanfield , A Lucas . Preterm birth, vascular function, and risk factors for atherosclerosis. Lancet. 2001; 358, 1159–1160.
20. ON Nwasokwa , M Weiss , C Gladstone , MM Bodenheimer . Effect of coronary artery size on the prevalence of atherosclerosis. Am J Cardiol. 1996; 78, 741–746.
21. A Hellstrom , C Perruzzi , M Ju , Low IGF-1 suppresses vegf-survival signaling in retinal endothelial cells: direct correlation with clinical retinopathy of prematurity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98, 5804–5808.
22. A Hellstrom , E Engstrom , AL Hard , Postnatal serum insulin-like growth factor 1 deficiency is associated with retinopathy of prematurity and other complications of premature birth. Pediatrics. 2003; 112, 1016–1020.
23. A Hellstrom , AL Hard , A Niklasson , E Svensson , B Jacobsson . Abnormal retinal vascularisation in preterm children as a general vascular phenomenon. Lancet. 1998; 352, 1827.
25. K Marsal , PH Persson , T Larsen , Intrauterine growth curves based on ultrasonically estimated foetal weights. Acta Paediatr. 1996; 85, 843–848.
26. SI Chisalita , GS Johansson , E Liefvendahl , K Back , HJ Arnqvist . Human aortic smooth muscle cells are insulin resistant at the receptor level but sensitive to IGF1 and IGF2. J Mol Endocrinol. 2009; 43, 231–239.
27. A Colao . The GH–IGF-I axis and the cardiovascular system: clinical implications. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008; 69, 347–358.
28. MP Bendeck , BL Langille . Rapid accumulation of elastin and collagen in the aortas of sheep in the immediate perinatal period. Circ Res. 1991; 69, 1165–1169.
29. JE Wagenseil , CH Ciliberto , RH Knutsen , Reduced vessel elasticity alters cardiovascular structure and function in newborn mice. Circ Res. 2009; 104, 1217–1224.
30. T Burkhardt , CM Matter , C Lohmann , Decreased umbilical artery compliance and IGF-1 plasma levels in infants with intrauterine growth restriction – implications for fetal programming of hypertension. Placenta. 2009; 30, 136–141.
31. R Sesso , MC Franco . Abnormalities in metalloproteinase pathways and IGF-I axis: a link between birth weight, hypertension, and vascular damage in childhood. Am J Hypertens. 2010; 23, 6–11.
32. J Brodszki , T Lanne , K Marsal , D Ley . Impaired vascular growth in late adolescence after intrauterine growth restriction. Circulation. 2005; 111, 2623–2628.
33. D Ley , H Stale , K Marsal . Aortic vessel wall characteristics and blood pressure in children with intrauterine growth retardation and abnormal foetal aortic blood flow. Acta Paediatr. 1997; 86, 299–305.
34. E Engstrom , A Niklasson , KA Wikland , U Ewald , A Hellstrom . The role of maternal factors, postnatal nutrition, weight gain, and gender in regulation of serum IGF-i among preterm infants. Pediatr Res. 2005; 57, 605–610.
35. AM Groves , CA Kuschel , DB Knight , JR Skinner . Does retrograde diastolic flow in the descending aorta signify impaired systemic perfusion in preterm infants? Pediatr Res. 2008; 63, 89–94.
36. H Gardiner , J Brodszki , A Eriksson , K Marsal . Volume blood flow estimation in the normal and growth-restricted fetus. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2002; 28, 1107–1113.
37. P Hovi , M Turanlahti , S Strang-Karlsson , Intima-media thickness and flow-mediated dilatation in the Helsinki study of very low birth weight adults. Pediatrics. 2011; 127, e304–e311.
38. AK Bonamy , E Andolf , H Martin , M Norman . Preterm birth and carotid diameter and stiffness in childhood. Acta Paediatr. 2008; 97, 434–437.
39. A Oren , LE Vos , WJ Bos , Gestational age and birth weight in relation to aortic stiffness in healthy young adults: two separate mechanisms? Am J Hypertens. 2003; 16, 76–79.
40. M Norman . Preterm birth – an emerging risk factor for adult hypertension? Semin Perinatol. 2010; 34, 183–187.
41. DA Lawlor , A Hubinette , P Tynelius , Associations of gestational age and intrauterine growth with systolic blood pressure in a family-based study of 386,485 men in 331,089 families. Circulation. 2007; 115, 562–568.
42. A Kistner , G Celsi , M Vanpee , SH Jacobson . Increased systolic daily ambulatory blood pressure in adult women born preterm. Pediatr Nephrol. 2005; 20, 232–233.
43. A Singhal , TJ Cole , A Lucas . Early nutrition in preterm infants and later blood pressure: Two cohorts after randomised trials. Lancet. 2001; 357, 413–419.