This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PD Wadhwa , C Buss , S Entringer , JM Swanson . Developmental origins of health and disease: brief history of the approach and current focus on epigenetic mechanisms. Semin Reprod Med. 2009; 27, 358–368.
2. DJ Barker . The origins of the developmental origins theory. J Intern Med. 2007; 261, 412–417.
3. MB Azad , AL Kozyrskyj . Perinatal programming of asthma: the role of gut microbiota. Clin Dev Immunol. 2012; 2012, 932072.
4. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , BK Kit , KM Flegal . Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010. JAMA. 2012; 307, 483–490.
6. MK Serdula , D Ivery , RJ Coates , et al. Do obese children become obese adults? A review of the literature. Prev Med. 1993; 22, 167–177.
7. SF Weng , SA Redsell , JA Swift , M Yang , CP Glazebrook . Systematic review and meta-analyses of risk factors for childhood overweight identifiable during infancy. Arch Dis Child. 2012; 97, 1019–1026.
8. F Begum , I Colman , LJ McCargar , RC Bell . Gestational weight gain and early postpartum weight retention in a prospective cohort of alberta women. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2012; 34, 637–647.
9. Y Yogev , PM Catalano . Pregnancy and obesity. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2009; 36, 285–300.
10. AE Cassidy-Bushrow , RM Peters , DA Johnson , J Li , DS Rao . Vitamin D nutritional status and antenatal depressive symptoms in African American women. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012; 21, 1189–1195.
11. L Poston . Gestational weight gain: influences on the long-term health of the child. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2012; 15, 252–257.
12. N Heslehurst , H Simpson , LJ Ells , et al. The impact of maternal BMI status on pregnancy outcomes with immediate short-term obstetric resource implications: a meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2008; 9, 635–683.
13. F Backhed , H Ding , T Wang , et al. The gut microbiota as an environmental factor that regulates fat storage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101, 15718–15723.
14. E Angelakis , F Armougom , M Million , D Raoult . The relationship between gut microbiota and weight gain in humans. Future Microbiol. 2012; 7, 91–109.
15. HJ Flint , KP Scott , P Louis , SH Duncan . The role of the gut microbiota in nutrition and health. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 9, 577–589.
18. VK Ridaura , JJ Faith , FE Rey , et al. Gut microbiota from twins discordant for obesity modulate metabolism in mice. Science. 2013; 341, 1241214.
19. F Armougom , M Henry , B Vialettes , D Raccah , D Raoult . Monitoring bacterial community of human gut microbiota reveals an increase in lactobacillus in obese patients and methanogens in anorexic patients. PLoS One. 2009; 4, 1–8.
33. PT Koleva , SL Bridgman , AL Kozyrskyj . The infant gut microbiome: evidence for obesity risk and dietary intervention. Nutrients. 2015; 7, 2237–2260.
21. CL Karlsson , J Onnerfalt , J Xu , et al. The microbiota of the gut in preschool children with normal and excessive body weight. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012; 20, 2257–2261.
22. L Bervoets , HK Van , I Kortleven , et al. Differences in gut microbiota composition between obese and lean children: a cross-sectional study. Gut Pathog. 2013; 5, 10.
25. J Penders , C Thijs , C Vink , et al. Factors influencing the composition of the intestinal microbiota in early infancy. Pediatrics. 2006; 118, 511–521.
27. JL Kaplan , WA Walker . Early gut colonization and subsequent obesity risk. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2012; 15, 278–284.
28. R Luoto , M Kalliomaki , K Laitinen , et al. Initial dietary and microbiological environments deviate in normal-weight compared to overweight children at 10 years of age. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2011; 52, 90–95.
34. M Eggesbo , B Moen , S Peddada , et al. Development of gut microbiota in infants not exposed to medical interventions. APMIS. 2011; 119, 17–35.
36. K Brandt , CR Taddei , EH Takagi , et al. Establishment of the bacterial fecal community during the first month of life in Brazilian newborns. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2012; 67, 113–123.
37. C Palmer , EM Bik , DB DiGiulio , DA Relman , PO Brown . Development of the human infant intestinal microbiota. PLoS Biol. 2007; 5, e177.
40. MJ Gosalbes , S Llop , Y Valles , et al. Meconium microbiota types dominated by lactic acid or enteric bacteria are differentially associated with maternal eczema and respiratory problems in infants. Clin Exp Allergy. 2013; 43, 198–211.
41. TR Kollmann , O Levy , RR Montgomery , S Goriely . Innate immune function by Toll-like receptors: distinct responses in newborns and the elderly. Immunity. 2012; 37, 771–783.
42. P Brandtzaeg . Homeostatic impact of indigenous microbiota and secretory immunity. Benef Microbes. 2010; 1, 211–227.
43. J Mirpuri , M Raetz , CR Sturge , et al. Proteobacteria-specific IgA regulates maturation of the intestinal microbiota. Gut Microbes. 2014; 5, 28–39.
44. H Kohler , S Donarski , B Stocks , et al. Antibacterial characteristics in the feces of breast-fed and formula-fed infants during the first year of life. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2002; 34, 188–193.
46. K Kukkonen , M Kuitunen , T Haahtela , et al. High intestinal IgA associates with reduced risk of IgE-associated allergic diseases. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2010; 21(1 Pt 1), 67–73.
47. A Pallaro , S Barbeito , P Taberner , et al. Total salivary IgA, serum C3c and IgA in obese school children. J Nutr Biochem. 2002; 13, 539.
48. DS Chandel , GT Braileanu , JH Chen , HH Chen , P Panigrahi . Live colonocytes in newborn stool: surrogates for evaluation of gut physiology and disease pathogenesis. Pediatr Res. 2011; 70, 153–158.
49. B Patro , A Liber , B Zalewski , et al. Maternal and paternal body mass index and offspring obesity: a systematic review. Ann Nutr Metab. 2013; 63, 32–41.
50. O Paliy , CJ Piyathilake , A Kozyrskyj , et al. Excess body weight during pregnancy and offspring obesity: potential mechanisms. Nutrition. 2014; 30, 245–251.
51. LM Cox , MJ Blaser . Pathways in microbe-induced obesity. Cell Metab. 2013; 17, 883–894.
54. O Koren , JK Goodrich , TC Cullender , et al. Host remodeling of the gut microbiome and metabolic changes during pregnancy. Cell. 2012; 150, 470–480.
59. JD Galley , M Bailey , DC Kamp , S Schoppe-Sullivan , LM Christian . Maternal obesity is associated with alterations in the gut microbiome in toddlers. PLoS One. 2014; 9, e113026.
60. I Solt . The human microbiome and the great obstetrical syndromes: a new frontier in maternal-fetal medicine. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2015; 29, 165–175.
65. M Priyadarshini , A Thomas , AC Reisetter , et al. Maternal short-chain fatty acids are associated with metabolic parameters in mothers and newborns. Transl Res. 2014; 164, 153–157.
66. M Mischke , T Plosch . More than just a gut instinct-the potential interplay between a baby’s nutrition, its gut microbiome, and the epigenome. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013; 304, R1065–R1069.
67. AC Vidal , SK Murphy , AP Murtha , et al. Associations between antibiotic exposure during pregnancy, birth weight and aberrant methylation at imprinted genes among offspring. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37, 907–913.
68. P Xu , M Li , J Zhang , T Zhang . Correlation of intestinal microbiota with overweight and obesity in Kazakh school children. BMC Microbiol. 2012; 12, 283.
69. S Ip , M Chung , G Raman , TA Trikalinos , J Lau . A summary of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s evidence report on breastfeeding in developed countries. Breastfeed Med. 2009; 4(Suppl. 1), S17–S30.
70. HD Holscher , KL Faust , LA Czerkies , et al. Effects of prebiotic-containing infant formula on gastrointestinal tolerance and fecal microbiota in a randomized controlled trial. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36(Suppl.), 95S–105S.
71. K Aagaard , K Riehle , J Ma , et al. A metagenomic approach to characterization of the vaginal microbiome signature in pregnancy. PLoS One. 2012; 7, e36466.
72. EL Robinson , WL Thompson . Effect of weight gain of the addition of Lactobacillus acidophilus to the formula of newborn infants. J Pediatr. 1952; 41, 395–398.
73. H Neuman , JW Debelius , R Knight , O Koren . Microbial endocrinology: the interplay between the microbiota and the endocrine system. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2015; February 19 [Epub], pii: fuu010.
74. C Dominianni , R Sinha , JJ Goedert , et al. Sex, body mass index, and dietary fiber intake influence the human gut microbiome. PLoS One. 2015; 10, e0124599.
75. TA Ajslev , CS Andersen , M Gamborg , TI Sorensen , T Jess . Childhood overweight after establishment of the gut microbiota: the role of delivery mode, pre-pregnancy weight and early administration of antibiotics. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011; 35, 522–529.
78. R Murphy , AW Stewart , I Braithwaite , et al. Antibiotic treatment during infancy and increased body mass index in boys: an international cross-sectional study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2014; 38, 1115–1119.
79. L Trasande , J Blustein , M Liu , et al. Infant antibiotic exposures and early-life body mass. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37, 16–23.
82. K Suzuki , N Kondo , M Sato , et al. Gender differences in the association between maternal smoking during pregnancy and childhood growth trajectories: multilevel analysis. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011; 35, 53–59.
85. HM Hesla , F Stenius , L Jaderlund , et al. Impact of lifestyle on the gut microbiota of healthy infants and their mothers – the ALADDIN birth cohort. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2014; 90, 791–801.
87. M Fallani , D Young , J Scott , et al. Intestinal microbiota of 6-week-old infants across Europe: geographic influence beyond delivery mode, breast-feeding, and antibiotics. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 51, 77–84.
88.Human Microbiome Project Consortium. Structure, function and diversity of the healthy human microbiome. Nature. 2012; 486, 207–214.
90. CA Lozupone , J Stombaugh , A Gonzalez , et al. Meta-analyses of studies of the human microbiota. Genome Res. 2013; 23, 1704–1714.