This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. L Henkin , D Zaccaro , S Haffner , et al. Cigarette smoking, environmental tobacco smoke exposure and insulin sensitivity: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study. Ann Epidemiol. 1999; 9, 290–296.
3. B Kowall , W Rathmann , K Strassburger , et al. Association of passive and active smoking with incident type 2 diabetes mellitus in the elderly population: the KORA S4/F4 cohort study. Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25, 393–402.
5. E Thiering , I Bruske , J Kratzsch , et al. Prenatal and postnatal tobacco smoke exposure and development of insulin resistance in 10 year old children. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2011; 214, 361–368.
9. AA El-Mohandes , M Kiely , SM Blake , MG Gantz , MN El-Khorazaty . An intervention to reduce environmental tobacco smoke exposure improves pregnancy outcomes. Pediatrics. 2010; 125, 721–728.
11. K Mattsson , K Kallen , MP Longnecker , A Rignell-Hydbom , L Rylander . Maternal smoking during pregnancy and daughters’ risk of gestational diabetes and obesity. Diabetologia. 2013; 56, 1689–1695.
13. CN Hales , DJ Barker , PM Clark , et al. Fetal and infant growth and impaired glucose tolerance at age 64. BMJ. 1991; 303, 1019–1022.
14. P Poulsen , AA Vaag , KO Kyvik , D Moller Jensen , H Beck-Nielsen . Low birth weight is associated with NIDDM in discordant monozygotic and dizygotic twin pairs. Diabetologia. 1997; 40, 439–446.
19. DA Webb , NR Boyd , D Messina , RA Windsor . The discrepancy between self-reported smoking status and urine cotinine levels among women enrolled in prenatal care at four publicly funded clinical sites. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2003; 9, 322–325.
20. GR Britton , J Brinthaupt , JM Stehle , GD James . Comparison of self-reported smoking and urinary cotinine levels in a rural pregnant population. J Obstet, Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2004; 33, 306–311.
21. D Shipton , DM Tappin , T Vadiveloo , et al. Reliability of self reported smoking status by pregnant women for estimating smoking prevalence: a retrospective, cross sectional study. BMJ. 2009; 339, b4347.
22. AM Toschke , A Ehlin , B Koletzko , SM Montgomery . Paternal smoking is associated with a decreased prevalence of type 1 diabetes mellitus among offspring in two national British birth cohort studies (NCDS and BCS70). J Perinat Med. 2007; 35, 43–47.
23. B Rasouli , V Grill , K Midthjell , et al. Risk of autoimmune diabetes in adults contrasting with increased risk in overweight men with type 2 diabetes: a 22-year follow-up of the Hunt study. Diabetes Care. 2013; 36, 604–610.
25. R von Kries , G Bolte , L Baghi , AM Toschke . Parental smoking and childhood obesity – is maternal smoking in pregnancy the critical exposure? Int J Epidemiol. 2008; 37, 210–216.
27. PB English , B Eskenazi , RE Christianson . Black-white differences in serum cotinine levels among pregnant women and subsequent effects on infant birthweight. Am J Public Health. 1994; 84, 1439–1443.
28. BJ van den Berg , RE Christianson , FW Oechsli . The California Child Health and Development Studies of the School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 1988; 2, 265–282.
30. RN Proctor . The history of the discovery of the cigarette-lung cancer link: evidentiary traditions, corporate denial, global toll. Tob Control. 2012; 21, 87–91.
32. SL Boulet , GR Alexander , HM Salihu , M Pass . Macrosomic births in the United States: determinants, outcomes, and proposed grades of risk. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 188, 1372–1378.
35.American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2012; 35(Suppl. 1), S64–S71.
40. M Hummel , M Schenker , AG Ziegler . Influence of perinatal factors on the appearance of islet autoantibodies in offspring of parents with type 1 diabetes. Pediatr Diabetes. 2001; 2, 40–42.
41. G Dahlquist , B Kallen . Maternal-child blood group incompatibility and other perinatal events increase the risk for early-onset type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia. 1992; 35, 671–675.
42. AL Marshall , A Chetwynd , JA Morris , et al. Type 1 diabetes mellitus in childhood: a matched case control study in Lancashire and Cumbria, UK. Diabet Med. 2004; 21, 1035–1040.
43. L Robertson , K Harrild . Maternal and neonatal risk factors for childhood type 1 diabetes: a matched case-control study. BMC Public Health. 2010; 10, 281.
46. J Svensson , B Carstensen , HB Mortensen , K Borch-Johnsen , Danish Study Group of Childhood Diabetes. Early childhood risk factors associated with type 1 diabetes – is gender important? Eur J Epidemiol. 2005; 20, 429–434.
47. BL Horta , DP Gigante , A Nazmi , et al. Maternal smoking during pregnancy and risk factors for cardiovascular disease in adulthood. Atherosclerosis. 2011; 219, 815–820.
49. SM Montgomery , A Ekbom . Smoking during pregnancy and diabetes mellitus in a British longitudinal birth cohort. BMJ. 2002; 324, 26–27.
50. C Power , K Atherton , C Thomas . Maternal smoking in pregnancy, adult adiposity and other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Atherosclerosis. 2010; 211, 643–648.