This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. I Guelinckx , R Devlieger , K Beckers , G Vansant . Maternal obesity: pregnancy complications, gestational weight gain and nutrition. Obes Rev. 2008; 9, 140–150.
2. CR Gale , MK Javaid , SM Robinson , et al. Maternal size in pregnancy and body composition in children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92, 3904–3911.
3. DA Lawlor , GD Smith , M O’Callaghan . Epidemiologic evidence for the fetal overnutrition hypothesis: findings from the mater-university study of pregnancy and its outcomes. Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 165, 418–424.
4. MF Sewell , L Huston-Presley , DM Super , P Catalano . Increased neonatal fat mass, not lean body mass, is associated with maternal obesity. Am J Obstetr Gynecol. 2006; 195, 1100–1103.
5. S Rizwan , J Reid , Y Kelly , et al. Trends in childhood and parental asthma prevalence in Merseyside, 1991–1998. J Public Health (Oxf). 2004; 26, 337–342.
6. LH Epstein , YW Wu , RA Paluch , FJ Cerny , JP Dorn . Asthma and maternal body mass index are related to pediatric body mass index and obesity: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Obes Res. 2000; 8, 575–581.
7. FH Sennhauser , C Braun-Fahrlander , JH Wildhaber . The burden of asthma in children: a European perspective. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2005; 6, 2–7.
8. R Pasquali , V Vicennati , M Cacciari , U Pagotto . The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity in obesity and the metabolic syndrome. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006; 1083, 111–128.
9. GW Strain , B Zumoff , JJ Strain , J Levin , DK Fukushima . Cortisol production in obesity. Metabolism. 1980; 29, 980–985.
10. CA Staab , E Maser . 11beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 is an important regulator at the interface of obesity and inflammation. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010; 119, 56–72.
11. S Benson , PC Arck , S Tan , et al. Effects of obesity on neuroendocrine, cardiovascular, and immune cell responses to acute psychosocial stress in premenopausal women. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009; 34, 181–189.
12. JR Seckl . Prenatal glucocorticoids and long-term programming. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004; 151(Suppl. 3), U49–U62.
13. A De Vries , MC Holmes , A Heijnis , et al. Prenatal dexamethasone exposure induces changes in nonhuman primate offspring cardiometabolic and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function. J Clin Invest. 2007; 117, 1058–1067.
14. R Benediktsson , RS Lindsay , J Noble , JR Seckl , CR Edwards . Glucocorticoid exposure in utero: new model for adult hypertension. Lancet. 1993; 341, 339–341.
15. G Goedhart , TG Vrijkotte , TJ Roseboom , et al. Maternal cortisol and offspring birthweight: results from a large prospective cohort study. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2010; 35, 644–652.
16. DI Phillips , BR Walker , RM Reynolds , et al. Low birth weight predicts elevated plasma cortisol concentrations in adults from 3 populations. Hypertension. 2000; 35, 1301–1306.
18. A Buske-Kirschbaum , AK von , S Krieger , et al. Blunted cortisol responses to psychosocial stress in asthmatic children: a general feature of atopic disease? Psychosom Med. 2003; 65, 806–810.
20. C Heim , U Ehlert , DH Hellhammer . The potential role of hypocortisolism in the pathophysiology of stress-related bodily disorders. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2000; 25, 1–35.
21. KN Priftis , A Papadimitriou , P Nicolaidou , GP Chrousos . Dysregulation of the stress response in asthmatic children. Allergy. 2009; 64, 18–31.
22. A Buske-Kirschbaum , S Fischbach , W Rauh , J Hanker , D Hellhammer . Increased responsiveness of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis to stress in newborns with atopic disposition. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2004; 29, 705–711.
23. SE Haberg , H Stigum , SJ London , W Nystad , P Nafstad . Maternal obesity in pregnancy and respiratory health in early childhood. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009; 23, 352–362.
24. MC Harpsoe , S Basit , P Bager , et al. Maternal obesity, gestational weight gain, and risk of asthma and atopic disease in offspring: a study within the Danish National Birth Cohort. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 131, 1033–1040.
25. R Kumar , RE Story , JA Pongracic , et al. Maternal pre-pregnancy obesity and recurrent wheezing in early childhood. Pediatr Allergy Immunol Pulmonol. 2010; 23, 183–190.
26. SP Patel , A Rodriguez , MP Little , et al. Associations between pre-pregnancy obesity and asthma symptoms in adolescents. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2012; 66, 809–814.
27. ET Leermakers , AM Sonnenschein-van der Voort , R Gaillard , et al. Maternal weight, gestational weight gain and preschool wheezing: the Generation R Study. Eur Respir J. 2013; 42, 1234–1243.
28. NE Reichman , L Nepomnyaschy . Maternal pre-pregnancy obesity and diagnosis of asthma in offspring at age 3 years. Matern Child Health J. 2007; 12, 725–733.
29. S Scholtens , AH Wijga , B Brunekreef , et al. Maternal overweight before pregnancy and asthma in offspring followed for 8 years. Int J Obes (Lond). 2010; 34, 606–613.
30. AJ Lowe , C Ekeus , L Braback , et al. Impact of maternal obesity on inhaled corticosteroid use in childhood: a registry based analysis of first born children and a sibling pair analysis. PLoS One. 2013; 8, e67368.
32. G Nagel , G Buchele , G Weinmayr , et al. Effect of breastfeeding on asthma, lung function and bronchial hyperreactivity in ISAAC Phase II. Eur Respir J. 2009; 33, 993–1002.
33. RM Reynolds , BR Walker , DI Phillips , et al. Programming of hypertension: associations of plasma aldosterone in adult men and women with birthweight, cortisol, and blood pressure. Hypertension. 2009; 53, 932–936.
34. M van Eijsden , TG Vrijkotte , RJ Gemke , MF van der Wal . Cohort profile: The Amsterdam Born Children and their Development (ABCD) Study. Int J Epidemiol. 2011; 40, 1176–1185.
35. M Tromp , EM van , AC Ravelli , GJ Bonsel . Anonymous non-response analysis in the ABCD cohort study enabled by probabilistic record linkage. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009; 23, 264–272.
36. J Just , S Belfar , S Wanin , et al. Impact of innate and environmental factors on wheezing persistence during childhood. J Asthma. 2010; 47, 412–416.
37. W Jedrychowski , FP Perera , U Maugeri , et al. Early wheezing phenotypes and severity of respiratory illness in very early childhood: study on intrauterine exposure to fine particle matter. Environ Int. 2009; 35, 877–884.
38. LP Koopman , A Wijga , HA Smit , et al. Early respiratory and skin symptoms in relation to ethnic background: the importance of socioeconomic status; the PIAMA study. Arch Dis Child. 2002; 87, 482–488.
39. RJ Kurukulaaratchy , S Matthews , SH Arshad . Does environment mediate earlier onset of the persistent childhood asthma phenotype? Pediatrics. 2004; 113, 345–350.
40. KA Franklin , PA Holmgren , F Jonsson , et al. Snoring, pregnancy-induced hypertension, and growth retardation of the fetus. Chest. 2000; 117, 137–141.
41. J Mallol , L Garcia-Marcos , D Sole , P Brand . International prevalence of recurrent wheezing during the first year of life: variability, treatment patterns and use of health resources. Thorax. 2010; 65, 1004–1009.
45. I Mesman , TJ Roseboom , GJ Bonsel , et al. Maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index explains infant's weight and BMI at 14 months: results from a multi-ethnic birth cohort study. Arch Dis Child. 2009.
46. KG Harley , JM Macher , M Lipsett , et al. Fungi and pollen exposure in the first months of life and risk of early childhood wheezing. Thorax. 2009; 64, 353–358.
47. RM Baron , DA Kenny . The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51, 1173–1182.
48. T Kusunoki , T Morimoto , R Nishikomori , et al. Obesity and the prevalence of allergic diseases in schoolchildren Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2008; 19, 527–534.
49. KN Carroll , P Wu , T Gebretsadik , et al. Season of infant bronchiolitis and estimates of subsequent risk and burden of early childhood asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123, 964–966.
50. J Yeh , JA Shelton . Increasing prepregnancy body mass index: analysis of trends and contributing variables. Am J Obstetr Gynecol. 2005; 193, 1994–1998.
51. JM Duncan , MR Sears . Breastfeeding and allergies: time for a change in paradigm? Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008; 8, 398–405.
53. KL Tooley , A El-Merhibi , AG Cummins , et al. Maternal milk, but not formula, regulates the immune response to beta-lactoglobulin in allergy-prone rat pups. J Nutr. 2009; 139, 2145–2151.
54. T Polte , G Hansen . Maternal tolerance achieved during pregnancy is transferred to the offspring via breast milk and persistently protects the offspring from allergic asthma. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008; 38, 1950–1958.
55. MZ Wamboldt , M Laudenslager , FS Wamboldt , K Kelsay , J Hewitt . Adolescents with atopic disorders have an attenuated cortisol response to laboratory stress. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 111, 509–514.
56. A Buske-Kirschbaum , S Jobst , A Wustmans , et al. Attenuated free cortisol response to psychosocial stress in children with atopic dermatitis. Psychosom Med. 1997; 59, 419–426.
57. CN Lumeng , JL Bodzin , AR Saltiel . Obesity induces a phenotypic switch in adipose tissue macrophage polarization. J Clin Invest. 2007; 117, 175–184.
58. CN Lumeng , SM Deyoung , JL Bodzin , AR Saltiel . Increased inflammatory properties of adipose tissue macrophages recruited during diet-induced obesity. Diabetes. 2007; 56, 16–23.
59. JE Ramsay , WR Ferrell , L Crawford , et al. Maternal obesity is associated with dysregulation of metabolic, vascular, and inflammatory pathways. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87, 4231–4237.
60. JC Challier , S Basu , T Bintein , et al. Obesity in pregnancy stimulates macrophage accumulation and inflammation in the placenta. Placenta. 2008; 29, 274–281.
61. D Rothenbacher , M Weyermann , G Fantuzzi , H Brenner . Adipokines in cord blood and risk of wheezing disorders within the first two years of life. Clin Expl Allergy. 2007; 37, 1143–1149.
62. CV Scirica , DR Gold , L Ryan , et al. Predictors of cord blood IgE levels in children at risk for asthma and atopy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007; 119, 81–88.
63. NP Ly , SL Rifas-Shiman , AA Litonjua , et al. Cord blood cytokines and acute lower respiratory illnesses in the first year of life. Pediatrics. 2007; 119, e171–e178.
65. JM Clark , E Hulme , V Devendrakumar , et al. Effect of maternal asthma on birthweight and neonatal outcome in a British inner-city population. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2007; 21, 154–162.
66. RH Lim , L Kobzik , M Dahl . Risk for asthma in offspring of asthmatic mothers versus fathers: a meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2010; 5, e10134.
67. J Mallol , L Garcia-Marcos , V Aguirre , et al. The International Study of Wheezing in Infants: questionnaire validation. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2007; 144, 44–50.
68. HJ Chong Neto , N Rosario , AC la Bianca , D Sole , J Mallol . Validation of a questionnaire for epidemiologic studies of wheezing in infants. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2007; 18, 86–87.
70. SM Willers , G Devereux , LC Craig , et al. Maternal food consumption during pregnancy and asthma, respiratory and atopic symptoms in 5-year-old children. Thorax. 2007; 62, 773–779.
71. M Stommel , CA Schoenborn . Accuracy and usefulness of BMI measures based on self-reported weight and height: findings from the NHANES & NHIS 2001–2006. BMC Public Health. 2009; 9, 421.
72. I Niedhammer , I Bugel , S Bonenfant , M Goldberg , A Leclerc . Validity of self-reported weight and height in the French GAZEL cohort. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24, 1111–1118.
73. JL Engstrom , SA Paterson , A Doherty , M Trabulsi , KL Speer . Accuracy of self-reported height and weight in women: an integrative review of the literature. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2003; 48, 338–345.
74. AJ Krul , HA Daanen , H Choi . Self-reported and measured weight, height and body mass index (BMI) in Italy, the Netherlands and North America. Eur J Public Health. 2011; 21, 414–419.
75. JC Dekkers , MF van Wier , IJ Hendriksen , JW Twisk , MW van . Accuracy of self-reported body weight, height and waist circumference in a Dutch overweight working population. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008; 8, 69.
77. MI Maiorino , B Schisano , PC Di , et al. Interleukin-20 circulating levels in obese women: effect of weight loss. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2009; 20, 180–185.
78. XM Mai , Y Chen , D Krewski . Does leptin play a role in obesity-asthma relationship? Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2009; 20, 207–212.