This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. MB Schulze , FB Hu . Primary prevention of diabetes: what can be done and how much can be prevented? Annu Rev Public Health. 2005; 26, 445–467.
2. L Parker , DW Lamont , N Unwin , et al.A lifecourse study of risk for hyperinsulinaemia, dyslipidaemia and obesity (the central metabolic syndrome) at age 49–51 years. Diabet Med. 2003; 20, 406–415.
3. KM Paarlberg , AJ Vingerhoets , J Passchier , GA Dekker , HP van Geijn . Psychosocial factors and pregnancy outcome: a review with emphasis on methodological issues. J Psychosom Res. 1995; 39, 563–595.
4. KM Paarlberg , AJ Vingerhoets , J Passchier , et al. Psychosocial predictors of low birthweight: a prospective study. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999; 106, 834–841.
6. M Hedegaard , TB Henriksen , S Sabroe , NJ Secher . Psychological distress in pregnancy and preterm delivery. BMJ. 1993; 307, 234–239.
7. M Hedegaard , TB Henriksen , NJ Secher , MC Hatch , S Sabroe . Do stressful life events affect duration of gestation and risk of preterm delivery? Epidemiology. 1996; 7, 339–345.
8. HL Littleton , CR Breitkopf , AB Berenson . Correlates of anxiety symptoms during pregnancy and association with perinatal outcomes: a meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196, 424–432.
9. HL Littleton , K Bye , K Buck , A Amacker . Psychosocial stress during pregnancy and perinatal outcomes: a meta-analytic review. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2010; 31, 219–228.
11. CA Newsome , AW Shiell , CH Fall , et al. Is birth weight related to later glucose and insulin metabolism? – A systematic review. Diabet Med. 2003; 20, 339–348.
12. CN Hales , DJ Barker . Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus: the thrifty phenotype hypothesis. Diabetologia. 1992; 35, 595–601.
13. DJ Barker , CN Hales , CH Fall , et al. Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus, hypertension and hyperlipidaemia (syndrome X): relation to reduced fetal growth. Diabetologia. 1993; 36, 62–67.
14. AC Tse , JW Rich-Edwards , K Koenen , RJ Wright . Cumulative stress and maternal prenatal corticotropin-releasing hormone in an urban U.S. cohort. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2012; 37, 970–979.
15. AP D’mello , Y Liu . Effects of maternal immobilization stress on birth weight and glucose homeostasis in the offspring. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2006; 31, 395–406.
16. KL Gatford , EM Wintour , MJ De Blasio , JA Owens , M Dodic . Differential timing for programming of glucose homoeostasis, sensitivity to insulin and blood pressure by in utero exposure to dexamethasone in sheep. Clin Sci (Lond). 2000; 98, 553–560.
18. RS Lindsay , RM Lindsay , BJ Waddell , JR Seckl . Prenatal glucocorticoid exposure leads to offspring hyperglycaemia in the rat: studies with the 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor carbenoxolone. Diabetologia. 1996; 39, 1299–1305.
19. MJ Nyirenda , RS Lindsay , CJ Kenyon , A Burchell , JR Seckl . Glucocorticoid exposure in late gestation permanently programs rat hepatic phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase and glucocorticoid receptor expression and causes glucose intolerance in adult offspring. J Clin Invest. 1998; 101, 2174–2181.
20. SR Dalziel , NK Walker , V Parag , et al. Cardiovascular risk factors after antenatal exposure to betamethasone: 30-year follow-up of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2005; 365, 1856–1862.
21. SM Woods , JL Melville , Y Guo , MY Fan , A Gavin . Psychosocial stress during pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202, 61.e1–61.e7.
23. V Glover , TG O’Connor , K O’Donnell . Prenatal stress and the programming of the HPA axis. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010; 35, 17–22.
24. DB Miller , JP O’Callaghan . Neuroendocrine aspects of the response to stress. Metabolism. 2002; 51(Suppl. 1), 5–10.
25. KA Ertel , KC Koenen , JW Rich-Edwards , MW Gillman . Antenatal and postpartum depressive symptoms are differentially associated with early childhood weight and adiposity. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2010; 24, 179–189.
26. J Li , J Olsen , M Vestergaard , et al. Prenatal stress exposure related to maternal bereavement and risk of childhood overweight. PLoS One. 2010; 5, e11896.
27. S Entringer , S Wust , R Kumsta , et al. Prenatal psychosocial stress exposure is associated with insulin resistance in young adults. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199, 498.e1–498.e7.
28. VL Clifton . Review: sex and the human placenta: mediating differential strategies of fetal growth and survival. Placenta. 2010; 31(Suppl.), S33–S39.
29. VL Clifton , VE Murphy . Maternal asthma as a model for examining fetal sex-specific effects on maternal physiology and placental mechanisms that regulate human fetal growth. Placenta. 2004; 25(Suppl. A), S45–S52.
30. TA Bruckner , R Catalano , J Ahern . Male fetal loss in the U.S. following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. BMC Public Health 2010; 10, 273.
31. DJ Bekedam , S Engelsbel , BW Mol , SE Buitendijk , KM van der Pal-de Bruin . Male predominance in fetal distress during labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187, 1605–1607.
32. D Owen , SG Matthews . Glucocorticoids and sex-dependent development of brain glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid receptors. Endocrinology. 2003; 144, 2775–2784.
33. M Van Eijsden , TG Vrijkotte , RJ Gemke , MF van der Wal . Cohort Profile: The Amsterdam Born Children and their Development (ABCD) Study. Int J Epidemiol. 2011; 40, 1176–1186.
34. EM Loomans , AE van Dijk , TG Vrijkotte , et al. Psychosocial stress during pregnancy is related to adverse birth outcomes: results from a large multi-ethnic community-based birth cohort. Eur J Public Health. 2013; 23, 485–491.
35. AE van Dijk , M van Eijsden , K Stronks , RJ Gemke , TG Vrijkotte . Prenatal stress and balance of the child's cardiac autonomic nervous system at age 5-6 years. PLoS One. 2012; 7, e30413.
36. AE van Dijk , M van Eijsden , K Stronks , RJ Gemke , TG Vrijkotte . The association between prenatal psychosocial stress and blood pressure in the child at age 5–7 years. PLoS One. 2012; 7, e43548.
37. AE van Dijk , M van Eijsden , K Stronks , RJ Gemke , TG Vrijkotte . Cardio-metabolic risk in 5-year-old children prenatally exposed to maternal psychosocial stress: the ABCD study. BMC Public Health. 2010; 10, 251.
41. LS Radloff . The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Measurement. 1977; 1, 385–401.
42. AC Huizink , EJ Mulder , PG Robles de Medina , GH Visser , JK Buitelaar . Is pregnancy anxiety a distinctive syndrome? Early Hum Dev. 2004; 79, 81–91.
45. KA Crnic , MT Greenberg . Minor parenting stresses with young children. Child Dev 1990; 61, 1628–1637.
46. R Karasek , C Brisson , N Kawakami , et al. The Job Content Questionnaire (JCQ): an instrument for internationally comparative assessments of psychosocial job characteristics. J Occup Health Psychol. 1998; 3, 322–355.
47. IL Houtman , A Goudswaard , S Dhondt , et al. Dutch monitor on stress and physical load: risk factors, consequences, and preventive action. Occup Environ Med. 1998; 55, 73–83.
48. J Gootjes , RM Tel , FJ Bergkamp , JP Gorgels . Laboratory evaluation of a novel capillary blood sampling device for measuring eight clinical chemistry parameters and HbA1c. Clin Chim Acta. 2009; 401, 152–157.
51. RM Baron , DA Kenny . The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51, 1173–1182.
52. J Lesage , F Del-Favero , M Leonhardt , et al. Prenatal stress induces intrauterine growth restriction and programmes glucose intolerance and feeding behaviour disturbances in the aged rat. J Endocrinol. 2004; 181, 291–296.
53. V Glover , K Bergman , P Sarkar , TG O’Connor . Association between maternal and amniotic fluid cortisol is moderated by maternal anxiety. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009; 34, 430–435.
54. S Entringer , R Kumsta , DH Hellhammer , PD Wadhwa , S Wust . Prenatal exposure to maternal psychosocial stress and HPA axis regulation in young adults. Horm Behav. 2009; 55, 292–298.
55. ME Coussons-Read , ML Okun , CD Nettles . Psychosocial stress increases inflammatory markers and alters cytokine production across pregnancy. Brain Behav Immun. 2007; 21, 343–350.
56. LK Rogers , M Velten . Maternal inflammation, growth retardation, and preterm birth: insights into adult cardiovascular disease. Life Sci. 2011; 89, 417–421.
57. AE van Dijk , M van Eijsden , K Stronks , RJ Gemke , TG Vrijkotte . The relation of maternal job strain and cortisol levels during early pregnancy with body composition later in the 5-year-old child: the ABCD study. Early Hum Dev. 2012; 88, 351–356.
58. M Tromp , M Van Eijsden , ACJ Ravelli , GJ Bonsel . Non-response analysis in the ABCD cohort study enabled by probabilistic record linkage. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009; 23, 264–272.
59. M Lobel . Conceptualizations, measurement, and effects of prenatal maternal stress on birth outcomes. J Behav Med. 1994; 17, 225–272.
60. K Piper , S Brickwood , LW Turnpenny , et al. Beta cell differentiation during early human pancreas development. J Endocrinol. 2004; 181, 11–23.
61. MH Fasting , E Oken , CS Mantzoros , et al. Maternal levels of corticotropin-releasing hormone during pregnancy in relation to adiponectin and leptin in early childhood. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 94, 1409–1415.
62. U Meier , AM Gressner . Endocrine regulation of energy metabolism: review of pathobiochemical and clinical chemical aspects of leptin, ghrelin, adiponectin, and resistin. Clin Chem. 2004; 50, 1511–1525.
63. KL Tamashiro , CE Terrillion , J Hyun , JI Koenig , TH Moran . Prenatal stress or high-fat diet increases susceptibility to diet-induced obesity in rat offspring. Diabetes. 2009; 58, 1116–1125.