This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. CM Law , AW Shiell , CA Newsome , et al. Fetal, infant, and childhood growth and adult blood pressure: a longitudinal study from birth to 22 years of age. Circulation. 2002; 105, 1088–1092.
3. CA Newsome , AW Shiell , CHD Fall , et al. Is birth weight related to later glucose and insulin metabolism? A systematic review. Diabet Med. 2003; 20, 339–348.
5. KK Ong . Size at birth, postnatal growth and risk of obesity. Horm Res. 2006; 65(Suppl. 3), 65–69.
6. TJ Roseboom , JH van der Meulen , C Osmond , et al. Coronary heart disease after prenatal exposure to the Dutch famine, 1944–45. Heart. 2000; 84, 595–598.
7. JG Eriksson , T Forsen , J Tuomilehto , C Osmond , DJ Barker . Early growth and coronary heart disease in later life: longitudinal study. BMJ. 2001; 322, 949–953.
8. C Crump , MA Winkleby , K Sundquist , J Sundquist . Risk of hypertension among young adults who were born preterm: a Swedish national study of 636,000 births. Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173, 797–803.
9. US Bayrakci , F Schaefer , A Duzova , S Yigit , A Bakkaloglu . Abnormal circadian blood pressure regulation in children born preterm. J Pediatr. 2007; 151, 399–403.
10. DA Lawlor , G Davey Smith , H Clark , DA Leon . The associations of birthweight, gestational age and childhood BMI with type 2 diabetes: findings from the Aberdeen Children of the 1950s cohort. Diabetologia. 2006; 49, 2614–2617.
11. RJ Irving , NR Belton , RA Elton , BR Walker . Adult cardiovascular risk factors in premature babies. Lancet. 2000; 355, 2135–2136.
12. P Hovi , S Andersson , JG Eriksson , et al. Glucose regulation in young adults with very low birth weight. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356, 2053–2063.
13. PL Hofman , F Regan , WE Jackson , et al. Premature birth and later insulin resistance. N Engl J Med. 2004; 351, 2179–2186.
14. J Rotteveel , MM van Weissenbruch , JWR Twisk , HA Delemarre-Van de Waal . Infant and childhood growth patterns, insulin sensitivity, and blood pressure in prematurely born young adults. Pediatrics. 2008; 122, 313–321.
15. I Koupil , DA Leon , HO Lithell . Length of gestation is associated with mortality from cerebrovascular disease. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2005; 59, 473–474.
16. S Saigal , LW Doyle . An overview of mortality and sequelae of preterm birth from infancy to adulthood. Lancet. 2008; 371, 261–269.
17. D Moster , RT Lie , T Markestad . Long-term medical and social consequences of preterm birth. N Engl J Med. 2008; 359, 262–273.
18. DF MacKay , GCS Smith , R Dobbie , JP Pell . Gestational age at delivery and special educational need: retrospective cohort study of 407,503 schoolchildren. PLoS Med. 2010; 7, e1000289.
19. DL Rowe , JGB Derraik , E Robinson , WS Cutfield , PL Hofman . Preterm birth and the endocrine regulation of growth in childhood and adolescence. Clin Endocrinol. 2011; 75, 661–665.
20. GCS Smith , MFS Smith , MB McNay , JEE Fleming . First-trimester growth and the risk of low birth weight. N Engl J Med. 1998; 339, 1817–1822.
21. RW Cooke . Conventional birth weight standards obscure fetal growth restriction in preterm infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2007; 92, F189–F192.
22. RJ Cooke . Postnatal growth and development in the preterm and small for gestational age infant. In Importance of Growth for Health and Development Nestlé Nutrition Institute Workshop Series Pediatric Program, vol. 65. (eds. Lucas A, Makrides M, Ziegler EE), 2010; pp. 85–95. Karger AG: Basel.
23. FH Bloomfield . How is maternal nutrition related to preterm birth? Annu Rev Nutr. 2011; 31, 235–261.
24. RA Ehrenkranz , AM Dusick , BR Vohr , et al. Growth in the neonatal intensive care unit influences neurodevelopmental and growth outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants. Pediatrics. 2006; 117, 1253–1261.
25. NE Embleton , N Pang , RJ Cooke . Postnatal malnutrition and growth retardation: an inevitable consequence of current recommendations in preterm infants? Pediatrics. 2001; 107, 270–273.
26. PJ Thureen , D Melara , PV Fennessey , WW Hay . Effect of low versus high intravenous amino acid intake on very low birth weight infants in the early neonatal period. Pediatr Res. 2003; 53, 24–32.
27. B Latal-Hajnal , K von Siebenthal , H Kovari , HU Bucher , RH Largo . Postnatal growth in VLBW infants: significant association with neurodevelopmental outcome. J Pediatr. 2003; 143, 163–170.
28. J-C Rozé , D Darmaun , C-Y Boquien , et al. The apparent breastfeeding paradox in very preterm infants: relationship between breast feeding, early weight gain and neurodevelopment based on results from two cohorts, EPIPAGE and LIFT. BMJ Open. 2012; 2, e000834.
29. Z Han , S Mulla , J Beyene , G Liao , SD McDonald . Maternal underweight and the risk of preterm birth and low birth weight: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Int J Epidemiol. 2011; 40, 65–101.
30. GCS Smith , I Shah , JP Pell , JA Crossley , R Dobbie . Maternal obesity in early pregnancy and risk of spontaneous and elective preterm deliveries: a retrospective cohort study. Am J Public Health. 2007; 97, 157–162.
31. BS Muhlhausler , SN Hancock , FH Bloomfield , R Harding . Are twins growth restricted? Pediatr Res. 2011; 70, 117–122.
32. SN Hancock , MH Oliver , C McLean , AL Jaquiery , FH Bloomfield . Size at birth and adult fat mass in twin sheep are determined in early gestation. J Physiol. 2012; 590, 1273–1285.
33. ML Hediger , B Luke , VH Gonzalez-Quintero , et al. Fetal growth rates and the very preterm delivery of twins. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 193, 1498–1507.
34. RC Painter , TJ Roseboom , OP Bleker . Prenatal exposure to the Dutch famine and disease in later life: an overview. Reprod Toxicol. 2005; 20, 345–352.
35. FH Bloomfield , MH Oliver , P Hawkins , et al. A periconceptional nutritional origin for noninfectious preterm birth. Science. 2003; 300, 606.
36. AL Jaquiery , MH Oliver , CWH Rumball , FH Bloomfield , JE Harding . Undernutrition before mating in ewes impairs the development of insulin resistance during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114, 869–876.
37. AL Jaquiery , MH Oliver , FH Bloomfield , JE Harding . Periconceptional events perturb postnatal growth regulation in sheep. Pediatr Res. 2011; 70, 261–266.
38. SE Todd , MH Oliver , AL Jaquiery , FH Bloomfield , JE Harding . Periconceptional undernutrition of ewes impairs glucose tolerance in their adult offspring. Pediatr Res. 2009; 65, 409–413.
40. WW Hay , A Lucas , WC Heird , et al. Workshop summary: nutrition of the extremely low birth weight infant. Pediatrics. 1999; 104, 1360–1368.
43. A Lapillonne , L Fellous , M Mokthari , E Kermorvant-Duchemin . Parenteral nutrition objectives for very low birth weight infants: results of a national survey. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009; 48, 618–626.
44. AS Kiefer , AC Wickremasinghe , JN Johnson , et al. Medical management of extremely low-birth-weight infants in the first week of life: a survey of practices in the United States. Amer J Perinatol. 2009; 26, 407–418.
45. M Ahmed , S Irwin , DP Tuthill . Education and evidence are needed to improve neonatal parenteral nutrition practice. J Parenteral Enteral Nutr. 2004; 28, 176–179.
47. S Kashyap , M Forsyth , C Zucker , et al. Effects of varying protein and energy intakes on growth and metabolic response in low birth weight infants. J Pediatr. 1986; 108, 955–963.
48. S Kashyap , KF Schulze , M Forsyth , et al. Growth, nutrient retention, and metabolic response in low birth weight infants fed varying intakes of protein and energy. J Pediatr. 1988; 113, 713–721.
49. KF Schulze , M Stefanski , J Masterson , et al. Energy expenditure, energy balance, and composition of weight gain in low birth weight infants fed diets of different protein and energy content. J Pediatr. 1987; 110, 753–759.
50. DC Wilson , P Cairns , HL Halliday , et al. Randomised controlled trial of an aggressive nutritional regimen in sick very low birthweight infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 1997; 77, F4–F11.
51. BB Poindexter , JC Langer , AM Dusick , RA Ehrenkranz . Early provision of parenteral amino acids in extremely low birth weight infants: relation to growth and neurodevelopmental outcome. J Pediatr. 2006; 148, 300–305.
52. CR Martin , YF Brown , RA Ehrenkranz , et al. Nutritional practices and growth velocity in the first month of life in extremely premature infants. Pediatrics. 2009; 124, 649–657.
53. CJ Valentine , S Fernandez , LK Rogers , et al. Early amino-acid administration improves preterm infant weight. J Perinatol. 2009; 29, 428–432.
55. N Rochow , G Fusch , A Muhlinghaus , et al. A nutritional program to improve outcome of very low birth weight infants. Clin Nutr. 2012; 31, 124–131.
58. RA Ehrenkranz , A Das , LA Wrage , et al. Early nutrition mediates the influence of severity of illness on extremely LBW infants. Pediatr Res. 2011; 69, 522–529.
59. HM Ibrahim , MA Jeroudi , RJ Baier , R Dhanireddy , RW Krouskop . Aggressive early total parental nutrition in low-birth-weight infants. J Perinatol. 2004; 24, 482–486.
60. RH Clark , DH Chace , AR Spitzer , et al. Effects of two different doses of amino acid supplementation on growth and blood amino acid levels in premature neonates admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit: a randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2007; 120, 1286–1296.
61. MJ Tan , RW Cooke . Improving head growth in very preterm infants – a randomised controlled trial I: neonatal outcomes. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2008; 93, F337–F341.
62. ML Wahlqvist , P Tienboon . Growth and ageing. In Nutrition and Metabolism, 2nd edn (eds. Lanham-New SA, Macdonald IA, Roche HM), 2011; pp. 119–154. Wiley-Blackwell: Chichester.
63. HA de Boo , JE Harding . Protein metabolism in preterm infants with particular reference to intrauterine growth restriction. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2007; 92, F315–F319.
64. S Arslanoglu , GE Moro , EE Ziegler . Preterm infants fed fortified human milk receive less protein than they need. J Perinatol. 2009; 29, 489–492.
65. C Agostoni , G Buonocore , V Carnielli , et al. Enteral nutrient supply for preterm infants: commentary from the European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Committee on Nutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 50, 85–91.
66. C Henriksen , AC Westerberg , A Ronnestad , et al. Growth and nutrient intake among very-low-birth-weight infants fed fortified human milk during hospitalisation. Br J Nutr. 2010; 102, 1179–1186.
67. RA Ehrenkranz , N Younes , JA Lemons , et al. Longitudinal growth of hospitalized very low birth weight infants. Pediatrics. 1999; 104, 280–289.
68. BE Cormack , FH Bloomfield . Audit of feeding practices in babies <1200 g or 30 weeks gestation during the first month of life. J Paediatr Child Health. 2006; 42, 458–463.
69. V Grote , R von Kries , R Closa-Monasterolo , et al. Protein intake and growth in the first 24 months of life. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 51, S117–S118.
70. JA Mennella , AK Ventura , GK Beauchamp . Differential growth patterns among healthy infants fed protein hydrolysate or cow-milk formulas. Pediatrics. 2011; 127, 110–118.
73. A Lucas , R Morley , TJ Cole , et al. Early diet in preterm babies and developmental status at 18 months. Lancet. 1990; 335, 1477–1481.
75. GW Jeon , YJ Jung , SY Koh , et al. Preterm infants fed nutrient-enriched formula until 6 months show improved growth and development. Pediatr Int. 2011; 53, 683–688.
77. R Morley , MS Fewtrell , RA Abbott , et al. Neurodevelopment in children born small for gestational age: a randomized trial of nutrient-enriched versus standard formula and comparison with a reference breastfed group. Pediatrics. 2004; 113, 515–521.
79. C Henriksen , K Haugholt , M Lindgren , et al. Improved cognitive development among preterm infants attributable to early supplementation of human milk with docosahexaenoic acid and arachidonic acid. Pediatrics. 2008; 121, 1137–1145.
80. M Makrides , RA Gibson , AJ McPhee , et al. Neurodevelopmental outcomes of preterm infants fed high-dose docosahexaenoic acid. JAMA. 2009; 301, 175–182.
81. LG Smithers , CT Collins , LA Simmonds , et al. Feeding preterm infants milk with a higher dose of docosahexaenoic acid than that used in current practice does not influence language or behavior in early childhood: a follow-up study of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91, 628–634.
82. A Aimone , J Rovet , W Ward , et al. Growth and body composition of human milk-fed premature infants provided with extra energy and nutrients early after hospital discharge: 1-year follow-up. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009; 49, 456–466.
83. JM Belizan , J Villar , E Bergel , et al. Long-term effect of calcium supplementation during pregnancy on the blood pressure of offspring: follow up of a randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 1997; 315, 281–285.
85. A Lucas , MS Fewtrell , R Morley , et al. Randomized trial of nutrient-enriched formula versus standard formula for postdischarge preterm infants. Pediatrics. 2001; 108, 703–711.
87. A Plagemann , T Harder , K Franke , R Kohlhoff . Long-term impact of neonatal breast-feeding on body weight and glucose tolerance in children of diabetic mothers. Diabetes Care. 2002; 25, 16–22.
88. E Rodekamp , T Harder , R Kohlhoff , et al. Long-term impact of breast-feeding on body weight and glucose tolerance in children of diabetic mothers. Diabetes Care. 2005; 28, 1457–1462.
89. J Gentz , B Persson , M Kellum , G Bengtsson , J Thorell . Effect of feeding on intravenous glucose tolerance and insulin response in piglets during the first day of life. Life Sci. 1971; 10, 137–144.
90. R Padidela , M Patterson , N Sharief , M Ghatei , K Hussain . Elevated basal and post-feed glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) concentrations in the neonatal period. Eur J Endocrinol. 2009; 160, 53–58.
91. A Lucas , S Boyes , SR Bloom , A Aynsley-Green . Metabolic and endocrine responses to a milk feed in six-day-old term infants: differences between breast and cow's milk formula feeding. Acta Paediatr. 1981; 70, 195–200.
92. DM Hans , M Pylipow , JD Long , PJ Thureen , MK Georgieff . Nutritional practices in the neonatal intensive care unit: analysis of a 2006 neonatal nutrition survey. Pediatrics. 2009; 123, 51–57.
93. SY Huh , SL Rifas-Shiman , CA Zera , et al. Delivery by caesarean section and risk of obesity in preschool age children: a prospective cohort study. Arch Dis Child. 2012; 97, 610–616.
94. FH Bloomfield , DB Knight , JE Harding . Side effects of 2 different dexamethasone courses for preterm infants at risk of chronic lung disease: a randomized trial. J Pediatr. 1998; 133, 395–400.
95. SP Hays , EO Smith , AL Sunehag . Hyperglycemia is a risk factor for early death and morbidity in extremely low birth-weight infants. Pediatrics. 2006; 118, 1811–1818.
96. G Alexandrou , B Skiöld , J Karlén , et al. Early hyperglycemia is a risk factor for death and white matter reduction in preterm infants. Pediatrics. 2010; 125, e584–e591.
97. JM Alsweiler , CA Kuschel , FH Bloomfield . Survey of the management of neonatal hyperglycaemia in Australasia. J Paediatr Child Health. 2007; 43, 632–635.
98. JM Alsweiler , JE Harding , FH Bloomfield . Tight glycemic control with insulin in hyperglycemic preterm babies: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2012; 129, 639–647.
99. A Lucas , R Morley , TJ Cole . Adverse neurodevelopmental outcome of moderate neonatal hypoglycaemia. BMJ. 1988; 297, 1304–1308.
100. N Knops , K Sneeuw , R Brand , et al. Catch-up growth up to ten years of age in children born very preterm or with very low birth weight. BMC Pediatr. 2005; 5, 26.
101. A Singhal , TJ Cole , M Fewtrell , et al. Promotion of faster weight gain in infants born small for gestational age: is there an adverse effect on later blood pressure? Circulation. 2007; 115, 213–220.
102. A Singhal , M Fewtrell , TJ Cole , A Lucas . Low nutrient intake and early growth for later insulin resistance in adolescents born preterm. Lancet. 2003; 361, 1089–1097.
103. A Singhal , TJ Cole , M Fewtrell , J Deanfield , A Lucas . Is slower early growth beneficial for long-term cardiovascular health? Circulation. 2004; 109, 1108–1113.
104. AH Hemachandra , PP Howards , SL Furth , MA Klebanoff . Birth weight, postnatal growth, and risk for high blood pressure at 7 years of age: results from the Collaborative Perinatal Project. Pediatrics. 2007; 119, e1264–e1270.
105. KK Ong , RJF Loos . Rapid infancy weight gain and subsequent obesity: systematic reviews and hopeful suggestions. Acta Paediatr. 2006; 95, 904–908.
106. KK Ong . Catch-up growth in small for gestational age babies: good or bad? Curr Opinion Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2007; 14, 30–34.
108. AR Franz , F Pohlandt , H Bode , et al. Intrauterine, early neonatal, and postdischarge growth and neurodevelopmental outcome at 5.4 years in extremely preterm infants after intensive neonatal nutritional support. Pediatrics. 2009; 123, e101–e109.
109. AL Jaquiery , MH Oliver , M Honeyfield-Ross , JE Harding , FH Bloomfield . Periconceptional undernutrition in sheep affects adult phenotype only in males. J Nutr Metabol. 2012; doi: 10.1155/2012/123610.