This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. G Emslie , R Judge . Tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: use during pregnancy, in children/adolescents and in the elderly. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2000; 101 (Suppl 403), 26S–34S.
4. SE Andrade , MA Raebel , J Brown , Use of antidepressant medications during pregnancy: a multisite study. Am J Ostet Gynecol. 2008; 198, 194.e191–194.e195.
5. PS Masand , S Gupta . Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors: an update. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 1999; 7, 69–84.
6. J Van Harten . Clinical pharmacokinetics of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Clin Pharmcokinet. 1993; 24, 203–220.
7. LE Grzeskowiak , AL Gilbert , JL Morrison . Investigating outcomes following the use of SSRIs for treating depression in pregnancy: a focus on methodological issues. Drug Saf. 2011; 34, 1027–1048.
8. KA Lattimore , SM Donn , N Kaciroti , Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) use during pregnancy and effects on the fetus and newborn: a meta-analysis. J Perinatol. 2005; 25, 595–604.
9. PM Whitaker-Azmitia . Serotonin and brain development: role in human developmental diseases. Brain Res Bull. 2001; 56, 479–485.
10. JE Blundell , JCG Halford . Serotonin and appetite regulation: implications for the pharmacological treatment of obesity. CNS Drugs. 1998; 9, 473–495.
11. JC Halford , JA Harrold , CL Lawton , JE Blundell . Serotonin (5-HT) drugs: effects on appetite expression and use for the treatment of obesity. Curr Drug Targets. 2005; 6, 201–213.
12. BJ Sargent , AJ Henderson . Targeting 5-HT receptors for the treatment of obesity. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2011; 11, 52–58.
13. Q Li , CH Wichems , L Ma , Brain region specific alterations of 5 HT2A and 5 HT2C receptors in serotonin transporter knockout mice. J Neurochem. 2003; 84, 1256–1265.
15. S Bouali , A Evrard , M Chastanet , Sex hormone dependent desensitization of 5-HT1A autoreceptors in knockout mice deficient in the 5-HT transporter. Eur J Neurosci. 2003; 18, 2203–2212.
16. SJ Line , C Barkus , C Coyle , Opposing alterations in anxiety and species-typical behaviours in serotonin transporter overexpressor and knockout mice. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011; 21, 108–116.
17. N Üçeyler , M Schütt , F Palm , Lack of the serotonin transporter in mice reduces locomotor activity and leads to gender-dependent late onset obesity. Int J Obes. 2010; 34, 701–711.
18. SFS Lisboa , PE Oliveira , LC Costa , EJ Venancio , EG Moreira . Behavioral evaluation of male and female mice pups exposed to fluoxetine during pregnancy and lactation. Pharmacology. 2007; 80, 49–56.
19. TF Oberlander , JA Gingrich , MS Ansorge . Sustained neurobehavioral effects of exposure to SSRI antidepressants during development: molecular to clinical evidence. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 86, 672–677.
20. CD Chambers , PO Anderson , RG Thomas , Weight gain in infants breastfed by mothers who take fluoxetine. Pediatrics. 1999; 104, e61–e66.
21. P Merlob , B Stahl , J Sulkes . Paroxetine during breast-feeding: infant weight gain and maternal adherence to counsel. Eur J Pediatr. 2004; 163, 135–139.
22. M Moretti , A Sharma , B Bar-Oz , G Koren , S Ito . Fluoxetine and its effects on the nursing infant: a prospective cohort study [Abstract]. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1999; 65, 141.
23. V Hendrick , LM Smith , S Hwang , LL Altshuler , D Haynes . Weight gain in breastfed infants of mothers taking antidepressant medications. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003; 64, 410–412.
24. AJ Lewis , M Galbally , G Opie , A Buist . Neonatal growth outcomes at birth and one month postpartum following in utero exposure to antidepressant medication. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2010; 44, 482–487.
25. LE Grzeskowiak , AL Gilbert , JL Morrison . Hospital pharmacy dispensing records for pharmacoepidemiology research into late gestation exposure to antidepressants. J Pharm Pract Res. 2010; 40, 265–268.
26. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal , WH Dietz . Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ. 2000; 320, 1240–1245.
29. EM Blair , Y Liu , NH De Klerk , DM Lawrence . Optimal fetal growth for the Caucasian singleton and assessment of appropriateness of fetal growth: an analysis of a total population perinatal database. BMC Pediatr. 2005; 5, 13.
31. S Greenland . Model-based estimation of relative risks and other epidemiologic measures in studies of common outcomes and in case–control studies. Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 160, 301–305.
32. TS Olds , GR Tomkinson , KE Ferrar , CA Maher . Trends in the prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity in Australia between 1985 and 2008. Int J Obes. 2010; 34, 57–66.
33. H Jovanovic , J Lundberg , P Karlsson , Sex differences in the serotonin 1A receptor and serotonin transporter binding in the human brain measured by PET. Neuroimage. 2008; 39, 1408–1419.
34. KP Cosgrove , CM Mazure , JK Staley . Evolving knowledge of sex differences in brain structure, function, and chemistry. Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 62, 847–855.
35. VK Yadav , F Oury , N Suda , A serotonin-dependent mechanism explains the leptin regulation of bone mass, appetite, and energy expenditure. Cell. 2009; 138, 976–989.
36. M Collin , M Bäckberg , K Önnestam , B Meister . 5-HT1A receptor immunoreactivity in hypothalamic neurons involved in body weight control. Neuroreport. 2002; 13, 945–951.
37. P Hutson , C Dourish , G Curzon . Evidence that the hyperphagic response to 8-OH-DPAT is mediated by 5-HT1A receptors. Eur J Pharmacol. 1988; 150, 361–366.
39. Y Qu , N Villacreses , DL Murphy , SI Rapoport . 5-HT2A/2C receptor signaling via phospholipase A2 and arachidonic acid is attenuated in mice lacking the serotonin reuptake transporter. Psychopharmacology. 2005; 180, 12–20.
40. P Moya , M Fox , C Jensen , Altered 5-HT2C receptor agonist-induced responses and 5-HT2C receptor RNA editing in the amygdala of serotonin transporter knockout mice. BMC Pharmacol. 2011; 11, 3.
41. J Li , J Olsen , M Vestergaard , C Obel , JL Baker , Prenatal stress exposure related to maternal bereavement and risk of childhood overweight. PLoS One. 2010; 5, e11896.
42. L Colvin , L Slack Smith , FJ Stanley , C Bower . Dispensing patterns and pregnancy outcomes for women dispensed selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2011; 91, 142–152.
43. MK Bakker , P Kolling , PB van den Berg , HEK de Walle , LTW de Jong van den Berg . Increase in use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy during the last decade, a population-based cohort study from the Netherlands. Br J Clin Pharmacol Apr. 2008; 65, 600–606.
44. S Alwan , J Reefhuis , SA Rasmussen , JM Friedman . Patterns of antidepressant medication use among pregnant women in a United States population. J Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 51, 264–270.
45. B Kallen . Neonate characteristics after maternal use of antidepressants in late pregnancy. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158, 312–316.
46. TF Oberlander , W Warburton , S Misri , J Aghajanian , C Hertzman . Neonatal outcomes after prenatal exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants and maternal depression using population-based linked health data. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 63, 898–906.
47. CD Chambers , KA Johnson , LM Dick , RJ Felix , KL Jones . Birth outcomes in pregnant women taking fluoxetine. N Engl J Med. 1996; 335, 1010–1015.
48. TF Oberlander , W Warburton , S Misri , J Aghajanian , C Hertzman . Effects of timing and duration of gestational exposure to serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants: population-based study. Br J Psychiatry. 2008; 192, 338–343.
49. H Malm , T Klaukka , PJ Neuvonen . Risks associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106, 1289–1296.
50. KA Ertel , KC Koenen , JW Rich-Edwards , MW Gillman , L Myer . Maternal depressive symptoms not associated with reduced height in young children in a US prospective cohort study. PLoS One. 2010; 5, e13656.
51. LM Barnett , E Van Beurden , PJ Morgan , LO Brooks , J Beard . Childhood motor skill proficiency as a predictor of adolescent physical activity. J Adolesc Health. 2009; 44, 252–259.