This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DP Guh , W Zhang , N Bansback , Z Amarsi , CL Birmingham , AH Anis . The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health. 2009; 9, 88.
2. I Abete , S Navas-Carretero , A Marti , JA Martinez . Nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics of caloric restriction. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2012; 108, 323–346.
4. M Zou , EJ Arentson , D Teegarden , SL Koser , L Onyskow , SS Donkin . Fructose consumption during pregnancy and lactation induces fatty liver and glucose intolerance in rats. Nutr Res. 2012; 32, 588–598.
6. T Roseboom , S de Rooij , R Painter . The Dutch famine and its long-term consequences for adult health. Early Hum Dev. 2006; 82, 485–491.
7. A Ohlsson , PS Shah . Effects of the September 11, 2001 disaster on pregnancy outcomes: a systematic review. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011; 90, 6–18.
9. Z Vucetic , J Kimmel , K Totoki , E Hollenbeck , TM Reyes . Maternal high-fat diet alters methylation and gene expression of dopamine and opioid-related genes. Endocrinology. 2010; 151, 4756–4764.
10. RA Waterland , M Travisano , KG Tahiliani , MT Rached , S Mirza . Methyl donor supplementation prevents transgenerational amplification of obesity. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008; 32, 1373–1379.
12. IM Szeto , PJ Das , A Aziz , GH Anderson . Multivitamin supplementation of Wistar rats during pregnancy accelerates the development of obesity in offspring fed an obesogenic diet. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009; 33, 364–372.
13. P Cordero , J Campion , FI Milagro , JA Martinez . Dietary supplementation with methyl donor groups could prevent nonalcoholic fatty liver. Hepatology. 2011; 53, 2151–2152.
14. P Cordero , AM Gomez-Uriz , J Campion , FI Milagro , JA Martinez . Dietary supplementation with methyl donors reduces fatty liver and modifies the fatty acid synthase DNA methylation profile in rats fed an obesogenic diet. Genes Nutr. 2013; 8, 105–113.
15. Y Ding , J He , X Liu , X Chen , C Long , Y Wang . Expression of DNA methyltransferases in the mouse uterus during early pregnancy and susceptibility to dietary folate deficiency. Reproduction. 2012; 144, 91–100.
16. P Cordero , J Campion , FI Milagro , JA Martinez . Transcriptomic and epigenetic changes in early liver steatosis associated to obesity: effect of dietary methyl donor supplementation. Mol Genet Metab. 2013; 110, 388–395.
17. P Cordero , AM Gomez-Uriz , FI Milagro , J Campion , JA Martinez . Maternal weight gain induced by an obesogenic diet affects adipose accumulation, liver weight, and insulin homeostasis in the rat offspring depending on the sex. J Endocrinol Invest. 2012; 35, 981–986.
19. JP Nixon , M Zhang , C Wang , et al.Evaluation of a quantitative magnetic resonance imaging system for whole body composition analysis in rodents. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010; 18, 1652–1659.
22. KJ Livak , TD Schmittgen . Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method. Methods. 2001; 25, 402–408.
23. L Paternain , AL de la Garza , MA Batlle , FI Milagro , JA Martinez , J Campion . Prenatal stress increases the obesogenic effects of a high-fat-sucrose diet in adult rats in a sex-specific manner. Stress. 2013; 16, 220–232.
24. VP Kovacheva , TJ Mellott , JM Davison , et al.Gestational choline deficiency causes global and Igf2 gene DNA hypermethylation by up-regulation of Dnmt1 expression. J Biol Chem. 2007; 282, 31777–31788.
25. L Hebbard , J George . Animal models of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 8, 35–44.
26. A Starlard-Davenport , V Tryndyak , O Kosyk , et al.Dietary methyl deficiency, microRNA expression and susceptibility to liver carcinogenesis. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics. 2010; 3, 259–266.
27. IY Khan , V Dekou , G Douglas , et al. A high-fat diet during rat pregnancy or suckling induces cardiovascular dysfunction in adult offspring. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005; 288, 127–133.
28. ER Flynn , BT Alexander , J Lee , ZM Hutchens Jr., C Maric-Bilkan . High-fat/fructose feeding during prenatal and postnatal development in female rats increases susceptibility to renal and metabolic injury later in life. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013; 304, 278–285.
29. A Alzamendi , D Castrogiovanni , RC Gaillard , E Spinedi , A Giovambattista . Increased male offspring’s risk of metabolic-neuroendocrine dysfunction and overweight after fructose-rich diet intake by the lactating mother. Endocrinology. 2010; 151, 4214–4223.
30. M Palou , T Priego , J Sanchez , JM Torrens , A Palou , C Pico . Moderate caloric restriction in lactating rats protects offspring against obesity and insulin resistance in later life. Endocrinology. 2010; 151, 1030–1041.
32. G Perseghin . Lipids in the wrong place: visceral fat and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34, S367–S370.
33. E Fabbrini , F Magkos , BS Mohammed , et al. Intrahepatic fat, not visceral fat, is linked with metabolic complications of obesity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106, 15430–15435.
34. S Pooya , S Blaise , M Moreno Garcia , et al. Methyl donor deficiency impairs fatty acid oxidation through PGC-1α hypomethylation and decreased ER-α, ERR-α, and HNF-4α in the rat liver. J Hepatol. 2012; 57, 344–351.
35. Y Huang , Y He , X Sun , Y He , Y Li , C Sun . Maternal high folic acid supplement promotes glucose intolerance and insulin resistance in male mouse offspring fed a high-fat diet. Int J Mol Sci. 2014; 15, 6298–6313.
36. JC Wells . The thrifty phenotype as an adaptive maternal effect. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 2007; 82, 143–172.
37. SH Koo . Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: molecular mechanisms for the hepatic steatosis. Clin Mol Hepatol. 2013; 19, 210–215.
38. ME D’Alessandro , ME Oliva , MA Fortino , A Chicco . Maternal sucrose-rich diet and fetal programming: changes in hepatic lipogenic and oxidative enzymes and glucose homeostasis in adult offspring. Food Funct. 2014; 5, 446–453.
40. ML Ojeda , MJ Delgado-Villa , R Llopis , ML Murillo , O Carreras . Lipid metabolism in ethanol-treated rat pups and adults: effects of folic acid. Alcohol Alcohol. 2008; 43, 544–550.
41. M Aragno , CE Tomasinelli , I Vercellinatto , et al. SREBP-1c in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease induced by western-type high-fat diet plus fructose in rats. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009; 47, 1067–1074.
42. MS Strable , JM Ntambi . Genetic control of de novo lipogenesis: role in diet-induced obesity. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2010; 45, 199–214.
44. S Majumder , K Ghoshal , J Datta , et al. Role of de novo DNA methyltransferases and methyl CpG-binding proteins in gene silencing in a rat hepatoma. J Biol Chem. 2002; 277, 16048–16058.
45. RZ Jurkowska , TP Jurkowski , A Jeltsch . Structure and function of mammalian DNA methyltransferases. Chembiochem. 2011; 12, 206–222.
46. L Gong , YX Pan , H Chen . Gestational low protein diet in the rat mediates Igf2 gene expression in male offspring via altered hepatic DNA methylation. Epigenetics. 2010; 5, 619–626.
47. BQ Starley , CJ Calcagno , SA Harrison . Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma: a weighty connection. Hepatology. 2010; 51, 1820–1832.
48. Y Kamei , T Suganami , T Ehara , et al. Increased expression of DNA methyltransferase 3a in obese adipose tissue: studies with transgenic mice. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010; 18, 314–321.
49. H Lu , JY Cui , S Gunewardena , B Yoo , XB Zhong , CD Klaassen . Hepatic ontogeny and tissue distribution of mRNAs of epigenetic modifiers in mice using RNA-sequencing. Epigenetics. 2012; 7, 914–929.
50. P Cordero , FI Milagro , J Campion , JA Martinez . Maternal methyl donors supplementation during lactation prevents the hyperhomocysteinemia induced by a high-fat-sucrose intake by dams. Int J Mol Sci. 2013; 14, 24422–24437.
51. SK Panchal , L Brown . Rodent models for metabolic syndrome research. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2011; 2011, 351982.
52. AP Garcia , M Palou , T Priego , J Sanchez , A Palou , C Pico . Moderate caloric restriction during gestation results in lower arcuate nucleus NPY- and alphaMSH-neurons and impairs hypothalamic response to fed/fasting conditions in weaned rats. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2010; 12, 403–413.
53. A Gomez-Ruiz , FI Milagro , J Campion , JA Martinez , C de Miguel . High-fat diet feeding alters metabolic response to fasting/non fasting conditions. Effect on caveolin expression and insulin signalling. Lipids Health Dis.. 2011; 10, 55.
54. H Tsuchiya , Y Ikeda , Y Ebata , et al. Retinoids ameliorate insulin resistance in a leptin-dependent manner in mice. Hepatology. 2012; 56, 1319–1330.
55. E Tsiambas , SN Georgiannos , N Salemis , et al. Significance of estrogen receptor 1 (ESR-1) gene imbalances in colon and hepatocellular carcinomas based on tissue microarrays analysis. Med Oncol. 2011; 28, 934–940.
56. JA Byrne , NJ Meara , AC Rayner , RJ Thompson , AS Knisely . Lack of hepatocellular CD10 along bile canaliculi is physiologic in early childhood and persistent in Alagille syndrome. Lab Invest. 2007; 87, 1138–1148.