This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
T Keene , M Brearley , B Bowen , A Walker . Accuracy of tympanic temperature measurement in firefighters completing a simulated structural firefighting task. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2015;30(5):461–465.
1. D Barr , W Gregson , T Reilly . The thermal ergonomics of firefighting reviewed. Appl Ergon. 2010;41(1):161-172.
2. A Walker , M Driller , C Argus , J Cooke , B Rattray . The aging Australian firefighter: an argument for age-based recruitment and fitness standards for urban fire services. Ergonomics. 2014;57(4):612-621.
3. S Cheung , S Petersen , T McLellan . Physiological strain and countermeasures with firefighting. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2010;20(s.3):103-116.
4. SS Cheung , TM McLellan , S Tenaglia . The thermophysiology of uncompensable heat stress. Sports Med. 2000;29(5):329-359.
5. D Hostler , J Suyama , FX Guyette , et al. A randomized controlled trial of aspirin and exertional heat stress activation of platelets in firefighters during exertion in thermal protective clothing. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2014;18(3):359-367.
6. D Smith , S Petruzzello , M Chludzinski , J Reed , J Woods . Selected hormonal and immunological responses to strenuous live-fire firefighting drills. Ergonomics. 2005;48(1):55-65.
7. DL Smith , SJ Petruzzello , E Goldstein , et al. Effect of live-fire training drills on firefighters' platelet number and function. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011;15(2):233-239.
8. A Walker , M Driller , M Brearley , C Argus , B Rattray . Cold-water immersion and iced-slush ingestion are effective at cooling firefighters following a simulated search and rescue task in a hot environment. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2014;39(10):1159-1166.
9. HE Wright-Beatty , TM McLellan , J Larose , RJ Sigal , P Boulay , GP Kenny . Inflammatory responses of older firefighters to intermittent exercise in the heat. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2014;114(6):1163-1174.
10. L Zeller , V Novack , L Barski , A Jotkowitz , Y Almog . Exertional heatstroke: clinical characteristics, diagnostic and therapeutic considerations. Eur J Intern Med. 2011;22(3):296-299.
12. N Gant , G Atkinson , C Williams . The validity and reliability of intestinal temperature during intermittent running. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006;38(11):1926-1931.
13. Y Amoateng-Adjepong , J Del Mundo , CA Manthous . Accuracy of an infrared tympanic thermometer. Chest. 1999;115(4):1002-1005.
15. D Gagnon , BB Lemire , O Jay , GP Kenny . Aural canal, esophageal, and rectal temperatures during exertional heat stress and the subsequent recovery period. J Athl Train. 2010;45(2):157.
16. MS Ganio , CM Brown , DJ Casa , et al. Validity and reliability of devices that assess body temperature during indoor exercise in the heat. J Athl Train. 2009;44(2):124.
18. PW Kong , G Beauchamp , J Suyama , D Hostler . Effect of fatigue and hypohydration on gait characteristics during treadmill exercise in the heat while wearing firefighter thermal protective clothing. Gait Posture. 2010;31(2):284-288.
19. D Hostler , SE Reis , JC Bednez , S Kerin , J Suyama . Comparison of active cooling devices with passive cooling for rehabilitation of firefighters performing exercise in thermal protective clothing: a report from the Fireground Rehab Evaluation (FIRE) trial. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2010;14(3):300-309.
22. JM Bland , D Altman . Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet. 1986;327(8476):307-310.
23. JM Bland , DG Altman . Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Int J Nurs Stud. 2010;47(8):931-936.
24. JM Bland , DG Altman . Agreement between methods of measurement with multiple observations per individual. J Biopharm Stat. 2007;17(4):571-582.
26. RR Pryor , JR Seitz , J Morley , et al. Estimating core temperature with external devices after exertional heat stress in thermal protective clothing. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011;16(1):136-141.
28. H Daanen . Infrared tympanic temperature and ear canal morphology. J Med Eng Technol. 2006;30(4):224-234.
29. I Muir , P Bishop , R Lomax , J Green . Prediction of rectal temperature from ear canal temperature. Ergonomics. 2001;44(11):962-972.
31. T Yamakoshi , K Matsumura , P Rolfe , N Tanaka , Y Yamakoshi , K Takahashi . A novel method to detect heat illness under severe conditions by monitoring tympanic temperature. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2013;84(7):692-700.