This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. W Kouwenhoven , J Jude , GG Knickerbocker . Closed-chest cardiac massage. JAMA. 1960;173(10):1064-1067.
3. PD Anderson , RE Suter , T Mulligan , et al. World Health Assembly Resolution 60.22 and its importance as health care policy tool for improving emergency care access and availability globally. Ann Emerg Med. 2012;60(1):35-44.
5. K Nielsen , C Mock , M Joshipura , et al. Assessment of the status of prehospital care in 13 low- and middle-income countries. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2012;16(3):381-389.
7. MJ Morton , A Vu . International emergency medicine and global health: training and career paths for emergency medicine residents. Ann Emerg Med. 2011;57(5):520-525.
8. V Sistenich . International emergency medicine: how to train for it. Emerg Med Australas. 2012;24(4):435-441.
10. R Fleischhack , A Nuernberger , F Sterz , et al. School children sufficiently apply life supporting first aid: a prospective investigation. Crit Care. 2009;13(4):R127.
11. DA Wampler , L Collett , CA Manifold , et al. Cardiac arrest survival is rare without prehospital return of spontaneous circulation. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2012;16(4):451-455.
14. G Nichol , E Thomas , CW Callaway , et al. Regional variation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest incidence and outcome. JAMA. 2008;300(12):1423-1431.
15. T Kitamura , T Iwami , T Kawamura , et al. Nationwide improvements in survival from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Japan. Circ. 2012;126(24):2834-2843.
16. SJ Stratton , K Brickett , T Crammer . Prehospital pulseless, unconscious penetrating trauma victims: field assessments associated with survival. J Trauma. 1998;45(1):96-100.
17. Y Moriwaki , M Sugiyama , T Yamamoto , et al. Outcomes from prehospital cardiac arrest in blunt trauma patients. World J. Surg. 2011;35(1):34-42.
18. FD Battistella , W Nugent , JT Owings , JT Anderson . Field triage of the pulseless trauma patient. Arch Surg. 1999;134(7):742-745.
19. A Donoghue , V Nadkarni , R Berg , et al. Out-of-hospital pediatric cardiac arrest: an epidemiologic review and assessment of current knowledge. Ann Emerg Med. 2005;46(6):512-522.
20. KD Young . A prospective, population-based study of the epidemiology and outcome of out-of-hospital pediatric cardiopulmonary arrest. Pediatr. 2004;114(1):157-164.
21. RO Cummins , JP Ornato , WH Thies , P Pepe . Improving survival from sudden cardiac arrest: the “chain of survival” concept. Circ. 2005;83(5):1832-1847.
23. RM Merchant , L Yang , LB Becker , et al. Incidence of treated cardiac arrest in hospitalized patients in the United States. Crit Care Med. 2011;39(11):2401-2406.
24. PA Meaney , VM Nadkarni , KB Kern , JH Indik , HR Halperin , RA Berg . Rhythms and outcomes of adult in-hospital cardiac arrest. Crit Care Med. 2010;38(1):101-108.
25. S Girotra , BK Nallamothu , JA Spertus , et al. Trends in survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest. N Engl J Med. 2012;367(20):1912-1920.
26. JP Nolan . Cardiopulmonary resuscitation. BMJ. 2012;345:e6122.
27. J Graf , C Muhlhoff , GS Doig , et al. Health care costs, long-term survival, and quality of life following intensive care unit admission after cardiac arrest. Crit Care. 2008;12(4):R92.
31. M Hilberman , J Kutner , D Parsons , DJ Murphy . Marginally effective medical care: ethical analysis of issues in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). J Med Ethics. 1997;23(6):361-367.
32. KV Iserson , MH Biros , CJ Holliman . Challenges in international medicine: ethical dilemmas, unanticipated consequences, and accepting limitations. Acad Emerg Med. 2012;19(6):683-692.
33. M Ardagh . Resurrecting autonomy during resuscitation--the concept of professional substituted judgment. J Med Ethics. 1999;25(5):375-378.
35. CK Sheng , CK Lim , A Rashidi . A multi-center study on the attitudes of Malaysian emergency health care staff towards allowing family presence during resuscitation of adult patients. Int J Emerg Med. 2010;3(4):287-291.
37. II Miljeteig , OFO Norheim . My job is to keep him alive, but what about his brother and sister? How Indian doctors experience ethical dilemmas in neonatal medicine. Developing World Bioethics. 2006;6(1):23-32.
39. S Hariharan , HSL Moseley , AY Kumar , ER Walrond , R Jonnalagadda . Futility-of-care decisions in the treatment of moribund intensive care patients in a developing country. Can J Anaesth. 2003;50(8):847-852.
41. M Ardagh . Futility has no utility in resuscitation medicine. J Med Ethics. 2000;26(5):396-399.
43. KV Iserson . Resuscitation strategies in the United States: realities of hospital and prehospital treatment. Am J Bioethics. 2010;10(1):72-73.
47. SJ Diem , JD Lantos , JA Tulsky . Cardiopulmonary resuscitation on television: miracles and misinformation. N Engl J Med. 1996;334(24):1578-1582.
48. I Miljeteig , SA Sayeed , A Jesani , KA Johansson , OF Norheim . Impact of ethics and economics on end-of-life decisions in an Indian neonatal unit. Pediatrs. 2009;124(2):e322-e328.
49. S Timmermans . When death isn't dead: implicit social rationing during resuscitative efforts. Sociol Inq. 2007;69(1):51-75.
50. SL Brindis , M Gausche-Hill , KD Young , B Putnam . Universally poor outcomes of pediatric traumatic arrest: a prospective case series and review of the literature. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2011;27(7):616-621.
51. CN Mock , M Tiska , M Adu-Ampofo , G Boakye . Improvements in prehospital trauma care in an African country with no formal Emergency Medical Services. J Trauma. 2002;53(1):90-97.
53. DL Atkins , S Everson-Stewart , GK Sears , et al. Epidemiology and outcomes from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in children. Circ. 2009;119(11):1484-1491.
54. J Herlitz , J Bahr , M Fischer , M KUISMA , K Lexow , G Thorgeirsson . Resuscitation in Europe: a tale of five European regions. Resuscitation. 1999;41(2):121-131.
55. B Maguire . Transportation-related injuries and fatalities among Emergency Medical Technicans and Paramedics. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2011;26(4):1-7.
56. AS Rosemurgy , PA Norris , SM Olson , JM Hurst , MH Albrink . Prehospital traumatic cardiac arrest: the cost of futility. J Trauma. 1993;35(3):468-473; discussion 473-474.
J Friesen , D Patterson , K Munjal . Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in resource-limited health systems–considerations for training and delivery. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2015;30(1):1-5