This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. CS Beck , WH Pritchard , HS Feil . Ventricular fibrillation of long duration abolished by electric shock. JAMA. 1947;135(15):985.
3. PM Zoll , AJ Linenthal , W Gibson , MH Paul , LR Norman . Termination of ventricular fibrillation in man by externally applied electric countershock. N Engl J Med. 1956;254(16):727-732.
6. LB Rose , E Press . Cardiac defibrillation by ambulance attendants. JAMA. 1972;219(1):63-68.
7. I Kassanoff , W Whaley , WH Walter 3rd, et al. Stadium coronary care. A concept in emergency health care delivery. JAMA. 1972;221(4):397-399.
9. M Heber . Out-of-hospital resuscitation using the “heart-aid”, an automated external defibrillator-pacemaker. Int J Cardiol. 1983;3(4):456-458.
10.National Academy of Sciences - National Research Council: Standards guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and emergency cardiac care (ECC). JAMA. 1986;255(21):2905-2989.
12. ME Mancini
, J Soar
, F Bhanji
, et al
. Part 12: Education, implementation, and teams: 2010 international consensus on cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care science with treatment recommendations
(16 Suppl 2
. Accessed November 30, 2010.
13. KR Stults , DD Brown , RE Kerber . Efficacy of an automated external defibrillator in the management of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: validation of the diagnostic algorithm and initial clinical experience in a rural environment. Circulation. 1986;73(4):701-709.
14. J Jakobsson , N Rehnqvist , O Nyqvist . Clinical experience with three different defibrillators for resuscitation of out of hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 1990;19(2):167-173.
16. T Schneider , PR Martens , H Paschen , et al. Multicenter, randomized, controlled trial of 150-J biphasic shocks compared with 200- to 360-J monophasic shocks in the resuscitation of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest victims. Optimized Response to Cardiac Arrest (ORCA) Investigators. Circulation. 2000;102(15):1780-1787.
18. D Jost , H Degrange , C Verret , et al. DEFI 2005: a randomized controlled trial of the effect of automated external defibrillator cardiopulmonary resuscitation protocol on outcome from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Circulation. 2010;121(14):1614-1622.
19. ML Weisfeldt , CM Sitlani , JP Ornato , et al. Survival after application of automatic external defibrillators before arrival of the emergency medical system: evaluation in the resuscitation outcomes consortium population of 21 million. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55(16):1713-1720.
21. MA Peberdy , LV Ottingham , WJ Groh , et al. Adverse events associated with lay emergency response programs: the public access defibrillation trial experience. Resuscitation. 2006;70(1):59-65.
22. AM Zafari , SK Zarter , V Heggen , et al. A program encouraging early defibrillation results in improved in-hospital resuscitation efficacy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;44(4):846-852.
23. C Hanefeld , C Lichte , I Mentges-Schroter , C Sirtl , A Mugge . Hospital-wide first-responder automated external defibrillator programme: 1 year experience. Resuscitation. 2005;66(2):167-170.
24. MS Forcina , AY Farhat , WW O'Neil , DE Haines . Cardiac arrest survival after implementation of automated external defibrillator technology in the in-hospital setting. Crit Care Med. 2009;37(4):1229-1236.
26. PS Chan , HM Krumholz , JA Spertus , et al. Automated external defibrillators and survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest. JAMA. 2010;304(1):2129-2136.
27. PS Chan , R Jain , BK Nallmothu , RA Berg , C Sasson . Rapid response teams: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(1):18-26.
29. MS Eisenberg , MK Copass , AP Hallstrom , et al. Treatment of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests with rapid defibrillation by emergency medical technicians. N Engl J Med. 1980;302(25):1379-1383.
30. LF Vukov , RD White , JW Bachman , PC O'Brien . New perspectives on rural EMT defibrillation. Ann Emerg Med. 1988;17(4):318-321.
31. BE Haynes , A Mendoza , M McNeil , J Schroeder , DR Smiley . A statewide early defibrillation initiative including laypersons and outcome reporting. JAMA. 1991;266(4):545-547.
32. RD White , BR Asplin , TF Bugliosi , DG Hankins . High discharge survival rate after out-of-hospital ventricular fibrillation with rapid defibrillation by police and paramedics. Ann Emerg Med. 1996;28(5):480-485.
33. IG Stiell , GA Wells , BJ Field , et al. Improved out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival through the inexpensive optimization of an existing defibrillation program: OPALS study phase II. Ontario Prehospital Advanced Life Support. JAMA.. 1999;281(13):1175-1181.
34. A Capucci , D Aschieri , MF Piepoli , GH Bardy , E Iconomu , M Arvedi . Tripling survival from sudden cardiac arrest via early defibrillation without traditional education in cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Circulation. 2002;106(9):1065-1070.
35. R Cappato , A Curnis , P Marzollo , et al. Prospective assessment of integrating the existing emergency medical system with automated external defibrillators fully operated by volunteers and laypersons for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: the Brescia Early Defibrillation Study (BEDS). Eur Heart J. 2006;27(5):553-561.
36. K Kajino , T Iwami , RA Berg , et al. Comparison of neurological outcomes following witnessed out-of-hospital ventricular fibrillation defibrillated with either biphasic or monophasic automated external defibrillators. Emerg Med J. 2009;26(7):492-496.
37. MS Eisenberg , J Moore , RO Cummins , et al. Use of the automatic external defibrillator in homes of survivors of out-of-hospital ventricular fibrillation. Am J Cardiol. 1989;63(7):443-446.
38. GH Bardy , KL Lee , DB Mark , et al. Home use of automated external defibrillators for sudden cardiac arrest. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(17):1793-1804.
39. MF O'Rourke , E Donaldson , JS Geddes . An airline cardiac arrest program. Circulation. 1997;96(9):2849-2853.
40. RL Page , JA Joglar , RC Kowal , et al. Use of automated external defibrillators by a U.S. airline. N Engl J Med. 2000;343(17):1210-1216.
41. SL Caffrey , PJ Willoughby , PE Pepe , LB Becker . Public use of automated external defibrillators. N Engl J Med. 2002;347(16):1242-1247.
42. TD Valenzuela , DJ Roe , G Nichol , LL Clark , DW Spaite , RG Hardman . Outcomes of rapid defibrillation by security officers after cardiac arrest in casinos. NEngl J Med. 2000;343(17):1206-1209.
43. JA Drezner , AL Rao , J Heistand , MK Bloomingdale , KG Harmon . Effectiveness of emergency response planning for sudden cardiac arrest in United States high schools with automated external defibrillators. Circulation. 2009;120(6):518-525.
44. MC Colquhoun , DA Chamberlain , RG Newcombe , et al. A national scheme for public access defibrillation in England and Wales: early results. Resuscitation. 2008;78(3):275-280.
45. LL Culley , TD Rea , JA Murray , et al. Public access defibrillation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: a community-based study. Circulation. 2004;109(15):1859-1863.
46. R Fleischhackl , B Roessler , H Domanovits , et al. Results from Austria's nationwide public access defibrillation (ANPAD) programme collected over 2 years. Resuscitation. 2008;77(2):195-200.
47. CS Davies , M Colquhoun , S Graham , T Evans , D Chamberlain . Defibrillator Advisory Committee. Defibrillators in public places: the introduction of a national scheme for public access defibrillation in England. Resuscitation. 2002;52(1):13-21.
48. R Whitfield , M Colquhoun , D Chamberlain , R Newcombe , CS Davies , R Boyle . The Department of Health national defibrillator programme: analysis of downloads from 250 deployments of public access defibrillators. Resuscitation. 2005;64:269-277.
49. M Kuisma , M Castren , K Nurminen . Public access defibrillation in Helsinki--costs and potential benefits from a community-based pilot study. Resuscitation. 2003;56(2):149-152.
50. T Sakai , T Iwami , T Kitamura , et al. Effectiveness of the new ‘mobile AED map’ to find and retrieve an AED: a randomised controlled trial. Resuscitation. 2011;82(1):69-73.
51. AC Scholten , JG van Manen , WE van der Worp , MJ Ijzerman , CJ Doggen . Early cardiopulmonary resuscitation and use of automated external defibrillators by laypersons in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest using an SMS alert service. Resuscitation. 2011;82:1273-1278.
53. B McNally , A Stokes , A Crouch , AL Kellermann , CARES Surveillance Group. CARES: Cardiac Arrest Registry to Enhance Survival. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;54(5):674-683. e2.
54. W Dickey , AA Adgey . Mortality within hospital after resuscitation from ventricular fibrillation outside hospital. Br Heart J. 1992;67(4):334-338.
55. JL Jacoby , M Cesta , MB Heller , P Salen , J Reed . Synchronized emergency department cardioversion of atrial dysrhythmias saves time, money and resources. J Emerg Med. 2005;28(1):27-30.
56. T Kitamura , T Iwami , T Kawamura , et al. Nationwide public-access defibrillation in Japan. N Engl J Med. 2010;362(11):994-1004.
57. JP Pell , A Walker , SM Cobbe . Cost-effectiveness of automated external defibrillators in public places: Con. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2007;22(1):5-10.
58. F Folke , FK Lippert , SL Nielsen , et al. Location of cardiac arrest in a city center: strategic placement of automated external defibrillators in public locations. Circulation. 2009;120(6):510-517.
59. DL Atkins . Realistic expectations for public access defibrillation programs. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2010;16(3):191-195.
60. LS Gold , M Eisenberg . Cost-effectiveness of automated external defibrillators in public places: Pro. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2007;22(1):1-4.
61. WJ Groh , A Birnbaum , A Barry , et al. Characteristics of volunteers responding to emergencies in the public access defibrillation trial. Resuscitation. 2007;72(2):193-199.