This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. SS Chugh , J Jui , K Gunson , et al. Current burden of sudden cardiac death: multiple source surveillance versus retrospective death certificate-based review in a large U.S. community. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;44(6):1268-1275.
3. TD Rea , MS Eisenberg , G Sinibaldi , RD White . Incidence of EMS-treated out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in the United States. Resuscitation. 2004;63(1):17-24.
5. VL Roger , AS Go , DM Lloyd-Jones , et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics--2011 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2011;123(4):e18-e209.
6. RO Cummins , JP Ornato , WH Thies , PE Pepe . Improving survival from sudden cardiac arrest: the “chain of survival” concept. Circulation. 1991;83(5):1832-1847.
7. RW Neumar , CW Otto , MS Link , et al. Part 8: adult advanced cardiovascular life support: 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. Circulation. 2010;122(18 Suppl):S729-S767. Erratum in: Circulation. 2011;123(6):e236.
8. T Sanna , G La Torre , C de Waure , et al. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation alone vs. cardiopulmonary resuscitation plus automated external defibrillator use by non-healthcare professionals: a meta-analysis on 1583 cases of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2008;76(2):225.
9. TD Valenzuela , DJ Roe , S Cretin , DW Spaite , MP Larsen . Estimating effectiveness of cardiac arrest interventions: a logistic regression survival model. Circulation. 1997;96(10):3308-3313.
10. A Capucci , D Aschieri , MF Piepoli , et al. Tripling survival from sudden cardiac arrest via early defibrillation without traditional education in cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Circulation. 2002;106(9):1065.
12. DB Jorgenson , T Skarr , JK Russell , et al. AED use in businesses, public facilities and homes by minimally trained first responders. Resuscitation. 2003;59(2):225.
13. JP Marenco , PJ Wang , MS Link , et al. Improving survival from sudden cardiac arrest: the role of the automated external defibrillator. J Am Med Assoc. 2001;285(9):1193.
14. TD Valenzuela , DJ Roe , G Nichol , et al. Outcomes of rapid defibrillation by security officers after cardiac arrests in casinos. New Engl J Med. 2000;343(17):1206.
15. ML Weisfeldt , CM Sitlani , JP Ornato , et al. Survival after application of automatic external defibrillators before arrival of the emergency medical system: evaluation in the resuscitation outcomes consortium population of 21 million. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55(16):1713.
17. J Powell , L Van Ottingham , E Schron . Public defibrillation: increased survival from a structured response system. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2004;19(6):384.
18. L Becker , M Eisenberg , C Fahrenbruch , L Cobb . Public locations of cardiac arrest. Implications for public access defibrillation. Circulation. 1998;97(21):2106-2109.
19. H Muraoka , Y Ohishi , H Hazui , et al. Location of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in Takatsuki City: where should automated external defibrillator be placed. Circ J. 2006;70(7):827-831.
20. J Engdahl , J Herlitz . Localization of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Goteborg 1994-2002 and implications for public access defibrillation. Resuscitation. 2005;64(2):171-175.
23. MS Eisenberg , et al. Cardiac resuscitation. New Engl J Med. 2001;344(17):1304.
24. GH Bardy , KL Lee , DB Mark , et al. Home use of automated external defibrillator for sudden cardiac arrest. New Engl J Med. 2008;358(17):1793.
MJ Levy , KG Seaman , MG Millin , RA Bissell , JL Jenkins . A poor association between out-of-hospital cardiac arrest location and public automated external defibrillator placement. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2013;28(4):1-6