Skip to main content

We offer authors the option of publishing their work as Open Access to allow them to make their works freely available online without compromising any aspect of the publishing process. Typically, we offer this option only for monographs, which are books usually written by a single author to convey the results of their research and analysis in a particular field of study.

Under this model, the author (or a funder) pays a Book Processing Fee and an online version of the book is published under a Creative Commons licence. Print and other digital versions (such as a Kindle eBook) are available for purchase.

We encourage interested authors to contact the relevant subject editor to discuss options.

Frequently asked questions

What Creative Commons licence do you support?
We support CC-BY-NC but will allow other licences (particularly CC-BY-NC-ND) in certain circumstances. The CC-BY-NC licence allows the free re-use of the work for academic purposes, and it helps us keep author charges low through sales of print and eBook versions.

Will I still get any royalties?
Typically you will continue to receive royalties for print and eBook sales.

How much are your Book Processing Charges?
Our standard charge is £6,500 ($10,000 or €9,000 - plus VAT or local sales tax where applicable) for a work of up to 120,000 words, and £1,600 per additional 30,000 words. Illustrated works will incur a charge of £25 per figure.

We do, however, consider each book individually. For example, we may be able to offer a discount if you provide material in ready-to-publish form.

Are there any other differences with more conventional publishing options?
No. We will apply the same high standards and procedures as for our other publications. This includes editorial processes such as peer review, production processes of design and typesetting, through to marketing and dissemination. Our Open Access option is geared purely towards allowing you to make your book freely available online for academic purposes.

Can I include third-party material in an Open Access work?
Yes, but some rights holders might be reluctant to allow their material to be reproduced in an OA work. You must ensure that any permissions you secure for third-party material allow you include it in your OA work.

Ideally, the third-party material will have been previously published under a Creative Commons licence that already allows you include it. Other third-party material can be clearly indicated as being reproduced by permission and as being protected by third party copyright, with a notice that it cannot be reused without further permissions clearance from the identified third-party rights holder.