Transjordanien: voregneschichtliche Forschungen, edited by Hans Rhotert, with contributions by Prof. Franz M. Th. Böhl and Dr K. Willman. pp. XII, 251, 63 photographs, 294 line-drawings and 3 maps. Verlag Strecker und Schröder, Stuttgart, 1938.
During December 1932, a joint expedition of the Transjordan Department of Antiquities, and the American School of Oriental Research, Jerusalem, under the direction of Mr and Mrs George Horsfield and the reviewer, undertook a trip of archaeological reconnaissance through the desert of eastern Transjordan from Mafrak to Kilwa. The existence of ruins at Kilwa was known to us, and they formed the ultimate objective of our journey. Gertrude Bell seems to have been the first European to have visited these ruins on her way to Hayil in 1914, merely recording the fact in her Letters. We were able to establish the fact that the buildings there belonged to a Christian community of c. A.D. 1000. They housed a monastic settlement, marked also by numerous small cells in the vicinity of the main buildings, which existed in the midst of a Moslem world. The early Christian settlement at Kilwa was well situated.