This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. E Oughton & C Ritson (2007) Food consumers and organic agriculture. In Handbook of Organic Food Quality and Safety, pp. 74–94 [J Cooper, U Niggli and C Leifert, editors]. Cambridge: Woodhouse Publishing Ltd.
AD Dangour , SK Dodhia , A Hayter , et al. (2009) Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr
5. K Brandt , C Leifert , R Sanderson , et al. (2011) Agroecosystem management and nutritional quality of plant foods: the case of organic fruits and vegetables. Crit Rev Plant Sci 30, 177–197.
6. J Cooper , U Niggli & C Leifert (2007) Handbook of Organic Food Safety and Quality. Cambridge: CRC Press.
P Williams (2007) Nutritional composition of red meat. Nutr Diet
8. E Palupi , A Jayanegara , A Ploeger , et al. (2012) Comparison of nutritional quality between conventional and organic dairy products: a meta-analysis. J Sci Food Agric 92, 2774–2781.
JB German , RA Gibson , RM Krauss , et al. (2009) A reappraisal of the impact of dairy foods and milk fat on cardiovascular disease risk. Eur J Nutr
V Wijendran & KC Hayes (2004) Dietary n-6 and n-3 fatty acid balance and cardiovascular health. Annu Rev Nutr
18. TL Blasbalg , JR Hibbeln , CE Ramsden , et al. (2011) Changes in consumption of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in the United States during the 20th century. Am J Clin Nutr 93, 950–962.
TL Ulbricht & DA Southgate (1991) Coronary heart disease: seven dietary factors. Lancet
21.European Food Safety Authority (2010) Scientific opinion on dietary reference values for fats, including saturated fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acids, trans fatty acids, and cholesterol. EFSA J 8, 1461.
22. F Massiera , P Barbry , P Guesnet , et al. (2010) A western-like fat diet is sufficient to induce a gradual enhancement in fat mass over generations. J Lipid Res 51, 2352–2361.
26. O Franci , R Bozzi , C Pugliese , et al. (2005) Performance of Cinta Senese pigs and their crosses with Large White. 1 Muscle and subcutaneous fat characteristics. Meat Sci 69, 545–550.
29. G Stewart (2010) Meta-analysis in applied ecology. Biol Lett 6, 78–81.
32. W Viechtbauer (2010) Conducting meta-analyses in R with the metafor package. J Stat Softw 36, 1–48.
33. LV Hedges & I Olkin (1985) Statistical Methods for Meta-Analysis. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
36. LV Hedges , J Gurevitch & PS Curtis (1999) The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology 80, 1150–1156.
38. HR Rothstein , AJ Sutton & M Borenstein (2006) Publication bias in meta-analysis. In Publication Bias in Meta-Analysis: Prevention, Assessment and Adjustments, pp. 1–7 [HR Rothstein, AJ Sutton and M Borenstein, editors]. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
J Gurevitch & LV Hedges (1999) Statistical issues in ecological meta-analyses. Ecology
41. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , GE Vist , et al. (2008) GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 336, 924–926.
43. AV Fisher , M Enser , RI Richardson , et al. (2000) Fatty acid composition and eating quality of lamb types derived from four diverse breed x production systems. Meat Sci 55, 141–147.
V Nilzen , J Babol , PC Dutta , et al. (2001) Free range rearing of pigs with access to pasture grazing-effect on fatty acid composition and lipid oxidation products. Meat Sci
H Hirt & E Zeltner (2007) Effects of organic husbandry methods and feeding regimes on poultry quality. In Handbook of Organic Food Quality and Safety, pp. 117–143 [J Cooper, U Niggli and C Leifert, editors]. Cambridge: Woodhouse Publishing Ltd.
47. A Sundrum (2007) Quality in organic, low-input and conventional pig production. In Handbook of Organic Food Quality and Safety, pp. 144–177 [J Cooper, U Niggli and C Leifert, editors]. Cambridge: Woodhouse Publishing Ltd.
S Kamihiro , S Stergiadis , C Leifert , et al. (2015) Meat quality and health implications of organic and conventional beef production. Meat Sci
G Butler , JH Nielsen , MK Larsen , et al. (2011) The effects of dairy management and processing on quality characteristics of milk and dairy products. NJAS Wagening J Life Sci
AF Bouwman , KW Van der Hoek , B Eickhout , et al. (2005) Exploring changes in world ruminant production systems. Agric Syst
MD Fraser , MHM Speijers , VJ Theobald , et al. (2004) Production performance and meat quality of grazing lambs finished on red clover, lucerne or perennial ryegrass swards. Grass Forage Sci
59. J Cooper , R Sanderson , I Cakmak , et al. (2011) Effect of organic and conventional crop rotation, fertilization, and crop protection practices on metal contents in wheat (Triticum aestivum). J Agric Food Chem 59, 4715–4724.
SN Kleinbeck & JJ McGlone (1999) Intensive indoor versus outdoor swine production systems: genotype and supplemental iron effects on blood hemoglobin and selected immune measures in young pigs. J Anim Sci
I Blanco-Penedo , RF Shore , M Miranda , et al. (2009) Factors affecting trace element status in calves in NW Spain. Livest Sci
63. SK Raatz , JT Silverstein , L Jahns , et al. (2013) Issues of fish consumption for cardiovascular disease risk reduction. Nutrients 5, 1081–1097.
66. LWJ van den Elsen , BCAM van Esch , GA Hofman , et al. (2013) Dietary long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids prevent allergic sensitization to cow’s milk protein in mice. Clin Exp Allergy 43, 798–810.
JT Brenna , N Jr Salem , AJ Sinclair , et al. (2009) alpha-Linolenic acid supplementation and conversion to n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in humans. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids
71. GC Burdge & PC Calder (2005) Conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to longer-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in human adults. Reprod Nutr Dev 45, 581–597.
74. T Kato , N Kolenic & RS Pardini (2007) Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a primary tumor suppressive omega-3 fatty acid, inhibits growth of colorectal cancer independent of p53 mutational status. Nutr Cancer 58, 178–187.
75. PM Pereira & AF Vicente (2013) Meat nutritional composition and nutritive role in the human diet. Meat Sci 93, 586–592.