1. Rowe, JW & Kahn, RL (1997) Successful aging. Gerontologist 37, 433–440.
2. Verbrugge, LM & Jette, AM (1994) The disablement process. Soc Sci Med 38, 1–14.
3. Inzitari, M, Doets, E, Bartali, B, et al. (2011) Nutrition in the age-related disablement process. J Nutr Health Aging 15, 599–!604.
4. Vercambre, M-N, Boutron-Ruault, M-C, Ritchie, K, et al. (2009) Long-term association of food and nutrient intakes with cognitive and functional decline: a 13-year follow-up study of elderly French women. Br J Nutr 102, 419–427.
5. Houston, DK, Stevens, J, Cai, J, et al. (2005) Dairy, fruit, and vegetable intakes and functional limitations and disability in a biracial cohort: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Am J Clin Nutr 81, 515–522.
6. Bartali, B, Semba, RD, Frongillo, EA, et al. (2006) Low micronutrient levels as a predictor of incident disability in older women. Arch Intern Med 166, 2335–2340.
7. Kim, J & Lee, Y (2011) Frequency of dairy consumption and functional disability in older persons. J Nutr Health Aging 15, 795–800.
8. Sharkey, JR, Branch, LG, Giuliani, C, et al. (2004) Nutrient intake and BMI as predictors of severity of ADL disability over 1 year in homebound elders. J Nutr Health Aging 8, 131–139.
9. Milaneschi, Y, Bandinelli, S, Corsi, AM, et al. (2011) Mediterranean diet and mobility decline in older persons. Exp Gerontol 46, 303–308.
10. Féart, C, Pérès, K, Samieri, C, et al. (2011) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and onset of disability in older persons. Eur J Epidemiol 26, 747–756.
11. Koster, A, Penninx, BWJH, Newman, AB, et al. (2007) Lifestyle factors and incident mobility limitation in obese and non-obese older adults. Obesity 15, 3122–3132.
12. Xu, B, Houston, D, Locher, JL, et al. (2012) The association between Healthy Eating Index-2005 scores and disability among older Americans. Age Ageing 41, 65–71.
13. Tomata, Y, Watanabe, T, Sugawara, Y, et al. (2014) Dietary patterns and incident functional disability in elderly Japanese: the Ohsaki Cohort 2006 study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 69, 843–851.
14. Samieri, C, Jutand, M-A, Féart, C, et al. (2008) Dietary patterns derived by hybrid clustering method in older people: association with cognition, mood, and self-rated health. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 1461–1471.
15. Gill, TM, Williams, CS, Richardson, ED, et al. (1996) Impairments in physical performance and cognitive status as predisposing factors for functional dependence among nondisabled older persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 51, M283–M288.
16. Schillerstrom, JE, Royall, DR & Palmer, RF (2008) Depression, disability and intermediate pathways: a review of longitudinal studies in elders. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol
17. Pilleron, S, Ajana, S, Jutand, M-A, et al. (2017) Dietary patterns and 12-year risk of frailty: results from the Three-City Bordeaux Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc 18, 169–175.
18. Fried, LP, Tangen, CM, Walston, J, et al. (2001) Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56, M146–M156.
19. 3C Study Group (2003) Vascular factors and risk of dementia: design of the Three-City Study and baseline characteristics of the study population. Neuroepidemiology 22, 316–325.
20. Féart, C, Jutand, MA, Larrieu, S, et al. (2007) Energy, macronutrient and fatty acid intake of French elderly community dwellers and association with socio-demographic characteristics: data from the Bordeaux sample of the Three-City Study. Br J Nutr 98, 1046–1057.
21. Simermann, J, Barberger-Gateau, P & Berr, C (2007) Validation d’un questionnaire de fréquence de consommation alimentaire dans une population âgée (Validation of a food frequency questionnaire in an older population). Nutr Clin Métabolisme 21, 69–70.
22. Rosow, I & Breslau, N (1966) A Guttman health scale for the aged. J Gerontol 21, 556–559.
23. Lawton, MP & Brody, EM (1969) Assessment of older people: self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living. Gerontologist 9, 179–186.
24. Katz, S, Ford, AB, Moskowitz, RW, et al. (1963) Studies of illness in the aged. the index of adl: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function. JAMA 185, 914–919.
25. Spector, WD & Fleishman, JA (1998) Combining activities of daily living with instrumental activities of daily living to measure functional disability. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 53, S46–S57.
26. Folstein, MF, Folstein, SE & McHugh, PR (1975) ‘Mini-mental state’. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 12, 189–198.
27. Fuhrer, R & Rouillon, F (1989) La version française de l’échelle CES-D (Center for Epidemiologic Studies-Depression Scale). Description et traduction de l’échelle d’autoévaluation. Psychiatr Psychobiol 4, 163–166.
28. Radloff, LS (1977) The CES-D scale: a self report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Meas 1, 385–401.
29. Schulze, MB, Hoffmann, K, Manson, JE, et al. (2005) Dietary pattern, inflammation, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in women. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 675–684.
30. Kuo, H-K, Al Snih, S, Kuo, Y-F, et al. (2012) Chronic inflammation, albuminuria, and functional disability in older adults with cardiovascular disease: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2008. Atherosclerosis 222, 502–508.
31. Ferrucci, L, Harris, TB, Guralnik, JM, et al. (1999) Serum IL-6 level and the development of disability in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 47, 639–646.
32. Lauretani, F, Semba, RD, Bandinelli, S, et al. (2008) Carotenoids as protection against disability in older persons. Rejuvenation Res 11, 557–563.
33. Alipanah, N, Varadhan, R, Sun, K, et al. (2009) Low serum carotenoids are associated with a decline in walking speed in older women. J Nutr Health Aging 13, 170–175.
34. Lauretani, F, Semba, RD, Bandinelli, S, et al. (2008) Low plasma carotenoids and skeletal muscle strength decline over 6 years. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 63, 376–383.
35. Semba, RD, Varadhan, R, Bartali, B, et al. (2007) Low serum carotenoids and development of severe walking disability among older women living in the community: the Women’s Health and Aging Study I. Age Ageing 36, 62–67.
36. Bonnefoy, M, Berrut, G, Lesourd, B, et al. (2015) Frailty and nutrition: searching for evidence. J Nutr Health Aging 19, 250–257.
37. Semba, RD, Ferrucci, L, Sun, K, et al. (2007) Oxidative stress and severe walking disability among older women. Am J Med 120, 1084–1089.
38. Hoeymans, N, Feskens, EJM, Kromhout, D, et al. (1997) Ageing and the relationship between functional status and self-rated health in elderly men. Soc Sci Med 45, 1527–1536.
39. Idler, EL, Russell, LB & Davis, D (2000) Survival, functional limitations, and self-rated health in the NHANES I epidemiologic follow-up study, 1992. Am J Epidemiol 152, 874–883.
40. Barberger-Gateau, P, Rainville, C, Letenneur, L, et al. (2000) A hierarchical model of domains of disablement in the elderly: a longitudinal approach. Disabil Rehabil 22, 308–317.
41. Wheaton, FV & Crimmins, EM (2016) Female disability disadvantage: a global perspective on sex differences in physical function and disability. Ageing Soc 36, 1136–1156.
42. Pelletier, A, Barul, C, Féart, C, et al. (2015) Mediterranean diet and preserved brain structural connectivity in older subjects. Alzheimers Dement 11, 1023–1031.