Whitford, GM (1994) Intake and metabolism of fluoride. Adv Dent Res 8, 5–14.
2. Palmer, C & Wolfe, SH, American Dietetic Association (2005) Position of the American Dietetic Association: the impact of fluoride on health. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 1620–1628.
Frencken, JE, Sharma, P, Stenhouse, L, et al. (2017) Global epidemiology of dental caries and severe periodontitis – a comprehensive review. J Clin Periodontol 44, Suppl. 18, S94–S105.
Szpunar, S & Burt, B (1990) Fluoride exposure in Michigan schoolchildren. J Public Health Dent 50, 18–23.
5. Pendrys, DG & Stamm, JW (1990) Relationship of total fluoride intake to beneficial effects and enamel fluorosis. J Dent Res 69, 529–538 (discussion 556–557).
Warren, JJ, Levy, SM & Kanellis, MJ (2001) Prevalence of dental fluorosis in primary dentition. J Public Health Dent 61, 87–91.
Hong, L, Levy, SM, Broffitt, B, et al. (2006) Timing of fluoride intake in relation to development of fluorosis on maxillary central incisors. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34, 299–309.
8. Institute of Medicine (1997) Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fluoride. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
Zohoori, FV, Whaley, G, Moynihan, PJ, et al. (2014) Fluoride intake of infants living in non-fluoridated and fluoridated areas. Br Dent J 216, E3.
Maguire, A & Zohoori, FV (2013) Fluoride balance in infants and young children in the UK and its clinical relevance for the dental team. Br Dent J 214, 587–593.
Zohoori, FV & Maguire, A (2016) Development of a database of the fluoride content of selected drinks and foods in the UK. Caries Res 50, 331–336.
Butte, NF (2005) Energy requirements of infants. Public Health Nutr 8, 953–967.
14. Scientific Committee on Food (2003) Report of the Scientific Committee on Food on the Revision of Essential Requirements of Infant Formulae and Follow-on Formulae. Brussels: European Commission Health and Consumer Protection Directorate-General.
Zohouri, FV, Swinbank, CM, Maguire, A, et al. (2006) Is the fluoride/creatinine ratio of a spot urine sample indicative of 24-h urinary fluoride? Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34, 130–138.
Martínez-Mier, EA, Cury, JA, Heilman, JR, et al. (2011) Development of gold standard ion-selective electrode-based methods for fluoride analysis. Caries Res 45, 3–12.
Thway, TM, Eschenberg, M, Calamba, D, et al. (2011) Assessment of incurred sample reanalysis for macromolecules to evaluate bioanalytical method robustness: effects from imprecision. AAPS J 13, 291–298.
18. Cumming, G (2012) Understanding the New Statistics: Effect-sizes, Confidence Intervals and Meta-analysis. New York: Routledge Academic.
Lakens, D (2013) Calculating and reporting effect sizes to facilitate cumulative science: a practical primer for t-tests and ANOVAs. Front Psychol 4, 863.
20. Cohen, J (1988) Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. New York: Routledge Academic.
Bergman, C, Gray-Scott, D, Chen, JJ, et al. (2009) What is next for the dietary reference intakes for bone metabolism related nutrients beyond calcium: phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin D, and fluoride? Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 49, 136–144.
22. World Health Organization (2010) Inadequate or Excess Fluoride: A Major Public Health Concern. Geneva: World Health Organization.
23. World Health Organization (2014) Basic Methods for Assessing Renal Fluoride Excretion in Community Prevention Programmes for Oral Health. Geneva: World Health Organization.
Spak, CJ, Hardell, LI & De Chateau, P (1983) Fluoride in human milk. Acta Paediatr Scand 72, 699–701.
25. Ekstrand, J, Boreus, LO & de Chateau, P (1981) No evidence of transfer of fluoride from plasma to breast milk. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 283, 761–762.
Ekstrand, J, Spak, CJ, Falch, J, et al. (1984) Distribution of fluoride to human breast milk following intake of high doses of fluoride. Caries Res 18, 93–95.
Ekstrand, J, Hardell, LI & Spak, CJ (1984) Fluoride balance studies on infants in a 1-ppm-water-fluoride area. Caries Res 18, 87–92.
Levy, SM, Warren, JJ, Davis, CS, et al. (2001) Patterns of fluoride intake from birth to 36 months. J Public Health Dent 61, 70–77.
29. Barnett, HL (1950) Kidney function in young infants. Paediatrics 5, 171–179.
Sulemanji, M & Vakili, K (2013) Neonatal renal physiology. Semin Pediatr Surg 22, 195–198.
Shen, YW & Taves, DR (1974) Fluoride concentrations in human placenta and maternal and cord blood. Am J Obstet Gynecol 119, 205–207.
Ekstrand, J & Ehrnebo, M (1979) Influence of milk products on fluoride bioavailability in man. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 16, 211–215.
Zohoori, FV (2018) Summary of general discussion and conclusions. Adv Dent Res 29, 183–185.
Ekstrand, J, Ziegler, EE, Nelson, SE, et al. (1994) Absorption and retention of dietary and supplemental fluoride by infants. Adv Dent Res 8, 175–180.
Villa, A, Anabalon, M, Zohouri, V, et al. (2010) Relationships between fluoride intake, urinary fluoride excretion and fluoride retention in children and adults: an analysis of available data. Caries Res 44, 60–68.
36. Ekstrand, J, Fomon, SJ, Ziegler, EE, et al. (1994) Fluoride pharmacokinetics in infancy. Pediatr Res 35, 157–163.
Berg, J, Gerweck, C, Hujoel, PP, et al. (2011) Evidence-based clinical recommendations regarding fluoride intake from reconstituted infant formula and enamel fluorosis: a report of the American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs. J Am Dent Assoc 142, 79–87.