1. Appleby, PN & Key, TJ (2016) The long-term health of vegetarians and vegans. Proc Nutr Soc 75, 287–293.
2. Cassidy, ES, West, PC, Gerber, JS, et al. (2013) Redefining agricultural yields: from tonnes to people nourished per hectare. Environ Res Lett 8, 034015.
3. Springmann, M, Godfray, HC, Rayner, M, et al. (2016) Analysis and valuation of the health and climate change cobenefits of dietary change. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113, 4146–4151.
4. Sabate, J & Soret, S (2014) Sustainability of plant-based diets: back to the future. Am J Clin Nutr 100, Suppl. 1, 476S–482S.
5. Melina, V, Craig, W & Levin, S (2016) Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: vegetarian diets. J Acad Nutr Diet 116, 1970–1980.
6. Rizzo, G, Laganà, AS, Rapisarda, AM, et al. (2016) Vitamin B12 among vegetarians: status, assessment and supplementation. Nutrients 8, E767.
7. Menal-Puey, S & Marques-Lopes, I (2017) Development of a food guide for the vegetarians of Spain. J Acad Nutr Diet 117, 1509–1516.
8. Rizzo, NS, Jaceldo-Siegl, K, Sabate, J, et al. (2013) Nutrient profiles of vegetarian and nonvegetarian dietary patterns. J Acad Nutr Diet 113, 1610–1619.
9. Raux, E, Schubert, HL & Warren, MJ (2000) Biosynthesis of cobalamin (vitamin B12): a bacterial conundrum. Cell Mol Life Sci 57, 1880–1893.
10. Eschenmoser, A (1988) Vitamin B12: experiments concerning the origin of its molecular structure. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 27, 5–39.
11. Eschenmoser, A (2011) Etiology of potentially primordial biomolecular structures: from vitamin B12 to the nucleic acids and an inquiry into the chemistry of life’s origin: a retrospective. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 50, 12412–12472.
12. Pawlak, R, Lester, SE & Babatunde, T (2016) The prevalence of cobalamin deficiency among vegetarians assessed by serum vitamin B12: a review of literature. Eur J Clin Nutr 70, 866.
13. Azevedo Perry, E, Thomas, H, Samra, HR, et al. (2017) Identifying attributes of food literacy: a scoping review. Public Health Nutr 20, 2406–2415.
14. Green, R, Allen, LH, Bjorke-Monsen, AL, et al. (2017) Vitamin B12 deficiency. Nat Rev Dis Primers 3, 17040.
15. Green, R (2017) Vitamin B12 deficiency from the perspective of a practicing hematologist. Blood 129, 2603–2611.
16. Naik, S, Mahalle, N & Bhide, V (2018) Identification of vitamin B12 deficiency in vegetarian Indians. Br J Nutr (epublication ahead of print version 15 February 2018).
17. Refsum, H, Yajnik, CS, Gadkari, M, et al. (2001) Hyperhomocysteinemia and elevated methylmalonic acid indicate a high prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in Asian Indians. Am J Clin Nutr 74, 233–241.
18. Hannibal, L, Lysne, V, Bjorke-Monsen, AL, et al. (2016) Biomarkers and algorithms for the diagnosis of vitamin B12 deficiency. Front Mol Biosci 3, 27.
19. Herbert, V (1994) Staging vitamin B-12 (cobalamin) status in vegetarians. Am J Clin Nutr 59, 1213S–1222S.
20. Albert, MJ, Mathan, VI & Baker, SJ (1980) Vitamin B12 synthesis by human small intestinal bacteria. Nature 283, 781.
21. Kanazawa, S & Herbert, V (1983) Mechanism of enterohepatic circulation of vitamin B12: movement of vitamin B12 from bile R-binder to intrinsic factor due to the action of pancreatic trypsin. Trans Assoc Am Physicians 96, 336–344.
22. Kanazawa, S, Herbert, V, Herzlich, B, et al. (1983) Removal of cobalamin analogue in bile by enterohepatic circulation of vitamin B12
. Lancet 1, 707–708.
23. Carmel, R (2013) Diagnosis and management of clinical and subclinical cobalamin deficiencies: why controversies persist in the age of sensitive metabolic testing. Biochimie 95, 1047–1055.
24. Hannibal, L & Blom, HJ (2017) Homocysteine and disease: causal associations or epiphenomenons? Mol Aspects Med 53, 36–42.
25. Morris, AA, Kozich, V, Santra, S, et al. (2017) Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of cystathionine beta-synthase deficiency. J Inherit Metab Dis 40, 49–74.
26. Fedosov, SN, Brito, A, Miller, JW, et al. (2015) Combined indicator of vitamin B12 status: modification for missing biomarkers and folate status and recommendations for revised cut-points. Clin Chem Lab Med 53, 1215–1225.
27. Fedosov, SN (2013) Biochemical markers of vitamin B12 deficiency combined in one diagnostic parameter: the age-dependence and association with cognitive function and blood hemoglobin. Clin Chim Acta 422, 47–53.
28. Brito, A, Verdugo, R, Hertrampf, E, et al. (2016) Vitamin B-12 treatment of asymptomatic, deficient, elderly Chileans improves conductivity in myelinated peripheral nerves, but high serum folate impairs vitamin B-12 status response assessed by the combined indicator of vitamin B-12 status. Am J Clin Nutr 103, 250–257.
29. Carmel, R (2008) How I treat cobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency. Blood 112, 2214–2221.
30. Nexo, E, Christensen, AL, Hvas, AM, et al. (2002) Quantification of holo-transcobalamin, a marker of vitamin B12 deficiency. Clin Chem 48, 561–562.