This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JO Hill , HR Wyatt , GW Reed , et al. (2003) Obesity and the environment: where do we go from here? Science 299, 853–855.
4. C Bamia , D Trichopoulos , P Ferrari , et al. (2007) Dietary patterns and survival of older Europeans: the EPIC-Elderly study (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition). Public Health Nutr 10, 590–598.
7. EJ Johnson , SB Shu , GC Benedict , et al. (2012) Beyond nudges: tools of a choice architecture. Mark Lett 23, 487–504.
9. SK Riebl , PA Estabrooks , JC Dunsmore , et al. (2015) A systematic literature review and meta-analysis: the theory of planned behavior’s application to understand and predict nutrition-related behaviors in youth. Eat Behav 18, 160–178.
10. J Brambila-Macias , B Shankar , S Capacci , et al. (2011) Policy interventions to promote healthy eating: a review of what works, what does not, and what is promising. Food Nutr Bull 32, 365–375.
11. S Capacci , M Mazzocchi , B Shankar , et al. (2012) Policies to promote healthy eating in Europe: a structured review of policies and their effectiveness. Nutr Rev 70, 188–200.
17. LR Skov , S Lourenco , GL Hansen , et al. (2012) Choice architecture as a means to change eating behaviour in self-service settings: a systematic review. Obes Rev 14, 187–196.
18. E Libotte , M Siegrist & T Bucher (2014) The influence of plate size on meal composition. Literature review and experiment. Appetite 82, 91–96.
19. B Wansink , JE Painter & YK Lee (2006) The office candy dish: proximity’s influence on estimated and actual consumption. Int J Obesity (Lond) 30, 871–875.
21. SE Sinclair , M Cooper & ED Mansfield (2014) The influence of menu labeling on calories selected or consumed: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Acad Nutr Diet 114, 1375–1388.
23. GJ Hollands , I Shemilt , TM Marteau , et al. (2013) Altering micro-environments to change population health behaviour: towards an evidence base for choice architecture interventions. BMC Public Health 13, 1218.
25. BE Kahn & B Wansink (2004) The influence of assortment structure on perceived variety and consumption quantities. J Consum Res 30, 519–533.
28. DR Musher-Eizenman , KM Young , K Laurene , et al. (2010) Children’s sensitivity to external food cues: how distance to serving bowl influences children’s consumption. Health Educ Behav 37, 186–192.
29. D Engell , M Kramer , T Malafi , et al. (1996) Effects of effort and social modeling on drinking in humans. Appetite 26, 129–138.
30. B Wansink & AS Hanks (2013) Slim by design: serving healthy foods first in buffet lines improves overall meal selection. PLOS ONE 8, e77055.
31. AW Meyers , AJ Stunkard & M Coll (1980) Food accessibility and food choice. A test of Schachter’s externality hypothesis. Arch Gen Psychiatry 37, 1133–1135.
33. DE Levy , J Riis , LM Sonnenberg , et al. (2012) Food choices of minority and low-income employees: a cafeteria intervention. Am J Prev Med 43, 240–248.
34. AN Thorndike , L Sonnenberg , J Riis , et al. (2012) A 2-phase labeling and choice architecture intervention to improve healthy food and beverage choices. Am J Public Health 102, 527–533.
35. HL Meiselman , D Hedderley , SL Staddon , et al. (1994) Effect of effort on meal selection and meal acceptability in a student cafeteria. Appetite 23, 43–55.
36. J Schwarz , J Riis , B Eibel , et al. (2012) Inviting consumers to downsize fast-food portions significantly reduces calorie consumption. Health Aff 31, 399–407.
37. B Wansink & AS Hanks (2014) Calorie reductions and within-meal calorie compensation in children’s meal combos. Obesity (Silver Spring) 22, 630–632.
38. J Maas , DT de Ridder , E de Vet , et al. (2012) Do distant foods decrease intake? The effect of food accessibility on consumption. Psychol Health 27, Suppl. 2, 59–73.
39. TM Marteau , D Ogilvie , M Roland , et al. (2011) Judging nudging: can nudging improve population health? BMJ 342, d228.
40. F Strack & R Deutsch (2004) Reflective and impulsive determinants of social behavior. Pers Soc Psychol Rev 8, 220–247.
42. JS Blumenthal-Barby & H Burroughs (2012) Seeking better health care outcomes: the ethics of using the ’nudge’. Am J Bioeth 12, 1–10.
44. CJ Huang & ML Baum (2012) Nudge ethics: Just a game of billiards? Am J Bioeth 12, 22–24.
45. M Potts , JL Verheijde & MY Rady (2012) When a nudge becomes a shove. Am J Bioeth 12, 40–42.
46. C Hoefkens , C Lachat , P Kolsteren , et al. (2011) Posting point-of-purchase nutrition information in university canteens does not influence meal choice and nutrient intake. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 562–570.