1. Pirlich, M, Schutz, T, Norman, K, et al. (2006) The German hospital malnutrition study. Clin Nutr 25, 563–572.
2. Elia, M, Lungqvist, O, Stratton, R, et al. (2015) Principles of Clinical Nutrition, 3rd ed. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.
3. Gomes, F, Emery, PW & Weekes, CE (2016) Risk of malnutrition is an independent predictor of mortality, length of hospital stay, and hospitalization costs in stroke patients.
J Stroke Cerebrovasc 25, 799–806.
4. Felder, S, Lechtenboehmer, C, Bally, M, et al. (2015) Association of nutritional risk and adverse medical outcomes across different medical inpatient populations. Nutrition 31, 1385–1393.
5. Beck, AM, Balknas, UN, Furst, P, et al. (2001) Food and nutritional care in hospitals: how to prevent undernutrition—report and guidelines from the Council of Europe. Clin Nutr 20, 455–460.
7. Kondrup, J, Allison, SP, Elia, M, et al. (2003) ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002. Clin Nutr 22, 415–421.
8. Mueller, C, Compher, C & Ellen, DM (2011) A.S.P.E.N. clinical guidelines: nutrition screening, assessment, and intervention in adults. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 35, 16–24.
10. Raynaud-Simon, A, Revel-Delhom, C & Hebuterne, X (2011) Clinical practice guidelines from the French Health High Authority: nutritional support strategy in protein-energy malnutrition in the elderly. Clin Nutr 30, 312–319.
11. Volkert, D, Bauer, JM, Frühwald, T, et al. (2013) Leitlinie der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Ernährungsmedizin (DGEM) in Zusammenarbeit mit der GESKES, der AKE und der DGG. (Guideline of the German Society for Nutritional Medicine (DGEM) in cooperation with the GESKES, the AKE and the DGG). Aktuel Ernahrungsmed 38, e1–e48.
12. Volkert, D, Berner, YN, Berry, E, et al. (2006) ESPEN guidelines on enteral nutrition: geriatrics. Clin Nutr 25, 330–360.
13. Cederholm, T, Barazzoni, R, Austin, P, et al. (2017) ESPEN guidelines on definitions and terminology of clinical nutrition. Clin Nutr 36, 49–64.
14. Bavelaar, JW, Otter, CD, van Bodegraven, AA, et al. (2008) Diagnosis and treatment of (disease-related) in-hospital malnutrition: the performance of medical and nursing staff. Clin Nutr 27, 431–438.
15. Kruizenga, HM, Wierdsma, NJ, Van Bokhorst, MAE, et al. (2003) Screening of nutritional status in The Netherlands. Clin Nutr 22, 147–152.
16. Eglseer, D, Halfens, RJ & Lohrmann, C (2017) Is the presence of a validated malnutrition screening tool associated with better nutritional care in hospitalized patients? Nutrition 37, 104–111.
17. Schindler, K, Pernicka, E, Laviano, A, et al. (2010) How nutritional risk is assessed and managed in European hospitals: a survey of 21,007 patients findings from the 2007–2008 cross-sectional nutritionDay survey. Clin Nutr 29, 552–559.
18. Green, SM & James, EP (2013) Barriers and facilitators to undertaking nutritional screening of patients: a systematic review. J Hum Nutr Diet 26, 211–221.
19. Eide, HD, Halvorsen, K & Almendingen, K (2015) Barriers to nutritional care for the undernourished hospitalised elderly: perspectives of nurses. J Clin Nurs 24, 696–706.
20. Tappenden, KA, Quatrara, B, Parkhurst, ML, et al. (2013) Critical role of nutrition in improving quality of care: an interdisciplinary call to action to address adult hospital malnutrition. JPEN J Parenteral Enteral Nutr 37, 482–497.
21. Omidvari, AH, Vali, Y, Murray, SM, et al. (2013) Nutritional screening for improving professional practice for patient outcomes in hospital and primary care settings. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, issue 6, CD005539.
22. Roller, RE, Eglseer, D, Eisenberger, A, et al. (2016) The Graz malnutrition screening (GMS): a new hospital screening tool for malnutrition. Br J Nutr 115, 650–657.
23. Laur, C, Marcus, H, Ray, S, et al. (2016) Quality nutrition care: measuring hospital staff’s knowledge, attitudes, and practices. Healthcare 4, E79.
24. Cohen, J (1988) Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 1st ed. New York: Academic Press.
25. Porter, J, Raja, R, Cant, R, et al. (2009) Exploring issues influencing the use of the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool by nurses in two Australian hospitals. J Hum Nutr Diet 22, 203–209.
26. Abayomi, J & Hackett, A (2004) Assessment of malnutrition in mental health clients: nurses’ judgement vs. a nutrition risk tool. J Adv Nurs 45, 430–437.
27. Kurmann, S, Thilo, F, Hürlimann, B, et al. (2014) Barrieren und Promotoren zur konsequenten Verwendung eines Mangelernährungsscreenings – Resultate einer Pilot-Interventionsstudie (Barriers and promoters to consistently use a malnutrition screening tool – results of a pilot intervention study). Aktuelle Ernährungsmedizin 39, 325–332.
28. Bauer, S, Halfens, RJ & Lohrmann, C (2015) Knowledge and attitudes of nursing staff towards malnutrition care in nursing homes: a multicentre cross-sectional study. J Nutr Health Aging 19, 734–740.
29. McCluskey, A & Lovarini, M (2005) Providing education on evidence-based practice improved knowledge but did not change behaviour: a before and after study. BMC Med Educ 5, 40.
31. Tappenden, KA, Quatrara, B, Parkhurst, ML, et al. (2013) Critical role of nutrition in improving quality of care: an interdisciplinary call to action to address adult hospital malnutrition. J Acad Nutr Diet 113, 1219–1237.
32. Kirkland, LL & Shaughnessy, E (2017) Recognition and prevention of nosocomial malnutrition: a review and a call to action!. Am J Med 12, 1345–1350.
33. Kris-Etherton, PM, Akabas, SR, Bales, CW, et al. (2014) The need to advance nutrition education in the training of health care professionals and recommended research to evaluate implementation and effectiveness. Am J Clin Nutr 99, 1153s–1166s.
34. Kris-Etherton, PM, Akabas, SR, Douglas, P, et al. (2015) Nutrition competencies in health professionals’ education and training: a new paradigm. Adv Nutr 6, 83–87.
35. Chung, M, van Buul, VJ, Wilms, E, et al. (2014) Nutrition education in European medical schools: results of an international survey. Eur J Clin Nutr 68, 844–846.
36. Cooper, P, Raja, R, Golder, J, et al. (2016) Implementation of nutrition risk screening using the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool across a large metropolitan health service. J Hum Nutr Diet 29, 697–703.
37. Polit, DF & Beck, CT (2015) Nursing Research: Generating and Assessing Evidence for Nursing Practice, 10th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.