1. Klass P. The artificial womb is born. New York Times 1996 .
2. Liu HC, He Z, Chen C, Rosenwaks Z. Ability of three-dimensional (3D) engineered endrometrial tissue to support mouse gastrulation in vitro. Fertility and Sterility 2003;80:78.
3. Smajdor A. The moral imperative for ectogenesis. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 2007;16:336–45.
5. Ber R. Ethical issues in gestational surrogacy. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 2000;21:153–69.
7. Burley J. The price of eggs: Who should bear the cost of fertility treatments? In: Harris J, Holm S, eds. The Future of Human Reproduction: Ethics, Choice, and Regulation. Oxford: Clarendon Press; 1998:127–49.
8. Dworkin R. Foundations of liberal equality. In: Peterson GB, ed. The Tanner Lectures on Human Values, vol. XI. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press; 1990:3–119.
11. Rawls J. Justice as Fairness. Cambridge: Belknap Press; 1971:42–3.
14. Smajdor 2007, at 339.
16. Cunningham FG, Gant NF, Leveno KJ, Gilstrap LC, Hauth JC, Wenstrom KD. Williams Obstetrics, 21st ed.New York: McGraw-Hill; 2001.
17. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Health and Human Services. “Maternal Mortality and Related Concepts,” Feb 2007; available at cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_03/sr03_033.pdf (last accessed 26 Sept 2011).
18. Maternal Mortality in 2005: Estimates Developed by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA and the World Bank. World Health Organization, Geneva 2007; available at http://www.who.int/whosis/mme_2005.pdf (last accessed 26 Sept 2011).
19. Smajdor 2007, at 339.
22. Smajdor 2007, at 340.
23. Murphy TF. The ethics of responding to pain and suffering. In: Angelos P, ed. Ethical Issues in Cancer Patient Care, 2nd ed. New York: Springer; 2008:117–34.
24. Smajdor 2007, at 340.
26. Takala T. Human before sex? Ectogenesis as a way to equality. In: Simonstein F, ed. Reprogen-Ethics and the Future of Gender. Dordrecht: Springer; 2009:187–95.
27. Spain: 10-year-old gives birth. New York Times 2010 Nov 3.
28. Heffner CJ. Advanced maternal age. How old is too old? New England Journal of Medicine 2004;351:1927–9.
29. Mori TT. Post-menopausal pregnancy is permissible for women below 60 years of age. Human Reproduction 1994:9:187.