This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1.Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Evidence-based medicine. A new approach to teaching the practice of medicine. JAMA. 1992;268:2420–5.
3. MJ Goldenberg , K Borgerson , R. Bluhm The nature of evidence in evidence-based medicine: guest editors’ introduction. Perspect Biol Med. 2009;52:164–7.
5. VM Montori , GH. Guyatt Progress in evidence-based medicine. JAMA. 2008;300:1814–6.
6. JG Burneo , BM Demaerschalk , ME Jenkins , editors. Neurology: An evidence-based approach. New York: Springer; 2012.
8. G Gronseth , J. French Practice parameters and technology assessments: what they are, what they are not, and why you should care. Neurology. 2008;71:1639–43.
12. F Davidoff , B Haynes , D Sackett , R. Smith Evidence based medicine. BMJ. 1995;310:1085–6.
13. DL Sackett , WM Rosenberg , JA Gray , RB Haynes , WS. Richardson Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn’t. BMJ. 1996;312:71–2.
15. MB Elamin , VM. Montori The hierarchy of evidence: From unsystematic clinical observations to systematic reviews. Chapter 2. In: JG Burneo , BM Demaerschalk , ME Jenkins , editors. Neurology: An evidence-based approach. New York: Springer; 2012:p.11–24.
17. J French , G. Gronseth Lost in a jungle of evidence: we need a compass. Neurology. 2008;71:1634–8.
19. D Atkins , M Eccles , S Flottorp , et al.Systems for grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations I: critical appraisal of existing approaches The GRADE Working Group. BMC Health Serv Res. 2004;4:38.
20. AR Feinstein , RI. Horwitz Problems in the “evidence” of “evidence-based medicine”. Am J Med. 1997;103:529–35.
22. AM Cohen , PZ Stavri , WR. Hersh A categorization and analysis of the criticisms of Evidence-Based Medicine. Int J Med Inform. 2004;73:35–43.
23. M. Rawlins De testimonio: on the evidence for decisions about the use of therapeutic interventions. Lancet. 2008;372:2152–61.
24. AL. Rosner Evidence-based medicine: revisiting the pyramid of priorities. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2012;16:42–9.
28. J. Concato Observational versus experimental studies: what’s the evidence for a hierarchy? NeuroRx. 2004;1:341–7.
29. DS Goodin , AT. Reder Evidence-based medicine: promise and pitfalls. Mult Scler. 2012;18:947–8.
30. AR Jadad , MW. Enkin Randomized controlled trials. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing BMJI Books; 2007.
33. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , GE Vist , et al.GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ. 2008;336:924–6.
34. AB. Hill Reflections on controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 1966;25:107–13.
35. D Schwartz , J. Lellouch Explanatory and pragmatic attitudes in therapeutical trials. J Chronic Dis. 1967;20:637–48.
36. AL. Cochrane Archie Cochrane in his own words. Selections arranged from his 1972 introduction to “Effectiveness and Efficiency: Random Reflections on the Health Services” 1972. Control Clin Trials. 1989;10:428–33.
37. RI. Horwitz The dark side of evidence-based medicine. Cleve Clin J Med. 1996;63:320–3.
38. L Hartling , FA McAlister , BH Rowe , J Ezekowitz , C Friesen , TP. Klassen Challenges in systematic reviews of therapeutic devices and procedures. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142:1100–11.
41. F. Brigo New anti-epileptic drugs: overcoming the limits of randomised controlled trials. Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2011;9:440–3.
42. P Glasziou , I Chalmers , M Rawlins , P. McCulloch When are randomised trials unnecessary? Picking signal from noise. BMJ. 2007;334:349–51.
44. KF Schulz , DG Altman , D Moher , CONSORT Group. CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152:726–32.
45. M. Makhinson Biases in the evaluation of psychiatric clinical evidence. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2012;200:76–82.
46. M Zwarenstein , A. Oxman Pragmatic Trials in Health Care Systems (PRACTIHC). Why are so few randomized trials useful, and what can we do about it? J Clin Epidemiol. 2006;59:1125–6.
47. NS Weiss , TD Koepsell , BM. Psaty Generalizability of the results of randomized trials. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:133–5.
48. S Senn , S. Julious Measurement in clinical trials: a neglected issue for statisticians? Stat Med. 2009;28:3189–209.
49. F. Gifford Uncertainty about clinical equipoise. Clinical equipoise and the uncertainty principles both require further scrutiny. BMJ. 2001;322:795.
51. C Weijer , SH Shapiro , K. Cranley Glass For and against: clinical equipoise and not the uncertainty principle is the moral underpinning of the randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2000;321:756–8.
52. B Djulbegovic , M Lacevic , A Cantor , et al.The uncertainty principle and industry-sponsored research. Lancet. 2000;356:635–8.
53. W Rich , NN Finer , MG Gantz , et al.Enrollment of extremely low birth weight infants in a clinical research study may not be representative. Pediatrics. 2012;129:480–4.
54. DJ Biau , S Kerneis , R. Porcher Statistics in brief: the importance of sample size in the planning and interpretation of medical research. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:2282–8.
56. I van der Tweel , L Askie , B Vandermeer , et al.Standard 4: determining adequate sample sizes. Pediatrics. 2012; 129 Suppl 3:S138–45.
58. SA Julious , MJ. Campbell Tutorial in biostatistics: sample sizes for parallel group clinical trials with binary data. Stat Med. 2012;31:2904–36.
59. P Charles , B Giraudeau , A Dechartres , G Baron , P. Ravaud Reporting of sample size calculation in randomised controlled trials: review. BMJ. 2009;338:b1732.
60. P. Bacchetti Current sample size conventions: flaws, harms, and alternatives. BMC Med. 2010;8:17.
61. P Bacchetti , SG Deeks , JM. McCune Breaking free of sample size dogma to perform innovative translational research. Sci Transl Med. 2011;3:87ps24.
62. AB. Hill Medical ethics and controlled trials. BMJ. 1963;1:1043–9.
63. S Hollis , F. Campbell What is meant by intention to treat analysis? Survey of published randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 1999;319:670–4.
64. J Gravel , L Opatrny , S. Shapiro The intention-to-treat approach in randomized controlled trials: are authors saying what they do and doing what they say? Clin Trials. 2007;4:350–6.
65. I Abraha , A. Montedori Modified intention to treat reporting in randomised controlled trials: systematic review. BMJ. 2010;340:c2697.
67. FA. McAlister The “number needed to treat” turns 20-and continues to be used and misused. CMAJ. 2008;179:549–53.
68. L Smeeth , A Haines , S. Ebrahim Numbers needed to treat derived from meta-analyses-sometimes informative, usually misleading. BMJ. 1999;318:1548–51.
69. JL. Hutton Number needed to treat and number needed to harm are not the best way to report and assess the results of randomised clinical trials. Br J Haematol. 2009;146:27–30.
70. SA. Julious Issues with number needed to treat. Stat Med. 2005;24:3233–5.
71. T. Greenhalgh How to read a paper. Statistics for the non-statistician. II: “Significant” relations and their pitfalls. BMJ. 1997;315:422–5.
72. S. Goodman A dirty dozen: twelve p-value misconceptions. Semin Hematol. 2008;45:135–40.
75. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , R Kunz , et al.GRADE guidelines 6. Rating the quality of evidence-imprecision. J Clin Epidemiol. 2011;64:1283–93.
76. P Glasziou , H. Doll Was the study big enough? Two cafe rules. Evid Based Med. 2006;11:69–70.
77. JS Yudkin , KJ Lipska , VM. Montori The idolatry of the surrogate. BMJ. 2011;343:d7995.
78. JK. Aronson Surrogate end points: studying their benefits, taxonomy, and semantics. BMJ. 2012;344:e750.
80. BM Psaty , NS Weiss , CD Furberg , et al.Surrogate end points, health outcomes, and the drug-approval process for the treatment of risk factors for cardiovascular disease. JAMA. 1999;282:786–90.
81. TR Fleming , DL. DeMets Surrogate end points in clinical trials: are we being misled? Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:605–13.
83. G Cordoba , L Schwartz , S Woloshin , H Bae , PC. Gotzsche Definition, reporting, and interpretation of composite outcomes in clinical trials: systematic review. BMJ. 2010;341:c3920.
84. I Ferreira-Gonzalez , JW Busse , D Heels-Ansdell , et al.Problems with use of composite end points in cardiovascular trials: systematic review of randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 2007;334:786.
85. I Ferreira-Gonzalez , G Permanyer-Miralda , JW Busse , et al.Methodologic discussions for using and interpreting composite endpoints are limited, but still identify major concerns. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007;60:651,7; discussion 658-62.
86. I Ferreira-Gonzalez , G Permanyer-Miralda , JW Busse , et al.Composite outcomes can distort the nature and magnitude of treatment benefits in clinical trials. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150:566–7.
88. VM Montori , G Permanyer-Miralda , I Ferreira-Gonzalez , et al.Validity of composite end points in clinical trials. BMJ. 2005;330:594–6.
89. X Sun , M Briel , JW Busse , et al.Credibility of claims of subgroup effects in randomised controlled trials: systematic review. BMJ. 2012;344:e1553.
90. R Wang , SW Lagakos , JH Ware , DJ Hunter , JM. Drazen Statistics in medicine-reporting of subgroup analyses in clinical trials. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:2189–94.
91. FM Sacks , MA Pfeffer , LA Moye , et al.The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels. Cholesterol and Recurrent Events Trial investigators. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1001–9.
92. GH Guyatt , M Briel , P Glasziou , D Bassler , VM. Montori Problems of stopping trials early. BMJ. 2012;344:e3863.
93. D Bassler , I Ferreira-Gonzalez , M Briel , et al.Systematic reviewers neglect bias that results from trials stopped early for benefit. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007;60:869–73.
94. D Bassler , VM Montori , M Briel , et al.Reflections on meta-analyses involving trials stopped early for benefit: Is there a problem and if so, what is it? Stat Methods Med Res. 2013;22:159–68.
95. RK Cady , RB Lipton , C Hall , WF Stewart , S O’Quinn , D. Gutterman Treatment of mild headache in disabled migraine sufferers: results of the Spectrum Study. Headache. 2000;40:792–7.
96. JF Tellez-Zenteno , S. Wiebe Hippocampal stimulation in the treatment of epilepsy. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2011;22:465,75, vi.
97. F Andrasik , SW Powers , PJ. McGrath Methodological considerations in research with special populations: children and adolescents. Headache. 2005;45:520–5.
98. DW Lewis , P Winner , W. Wasiewski The placebo responder rate in children and adolescents. Headache. 2005;45:232–9.
99. TP Klassen , L Hartling , JC Craig , M. Offringa Children are not just small adults: the urgent need for high-quality trial evidence in children. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e172.
100. TP Klassen , L Hartling , M Hamm , JH van der Lee , J Ursum , M. Offringa StaR Child Health: an initiative for RCTs in children. Lancet. 2009;374:1310–2.
101. L Hartling , KD Wittmeier , PH Caldwell , et al.StaR Child Health: developing evidence-based guidance for the design, conduct, and reporting of pediatric trials. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2011;90:727–31.
102. P. Croskerry Perspectives on diagnostic failure and patient safety. Healthc Q. 2012;15 Suppl:50-6.
103. P. Croskerry A universal model of diagnostic reasoning. Acad Med. 2009;84:1022–8.
104. P. Croskerry Context is everything or how could I have been that stupid? Healthc Q. 2009;12 Spec No Patient:e171-6.
105. P Croskerry , AA Abbass , AW. Wu How doctors feel: affective issues in patients’ safety. Lancet. 2008;372:1205–6.
106. C Heneghan , P Glasziou , M Thompson , et al.Diagnostic strategies used in primary care. BMJ. 2009;338:b946.
107. MF Cruz , J Edwards , MM Dinh , EH. Barnes The effect of clinical history on accuracy of electrocardiograph interpretation among doctors working in emergency departments. Med J Aust. 2012;197:161–5.
108. A. Katelaris What influences clinical decision making? Med J Aust. 2012;197:129.
110. AR. Feinstein Misguided efforts and future challenges for research on “diagnostic tests”. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2002;56:330–2.
111. J. Stegenga Is meta-analysis the platinum standard of evidence? Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2011;42:497–507.
112. JC Coyne , BD Thombs , M. Hagedoorn Ain’t necessarily so: review and critique of recent meta-analyses of behavioral medicine interventions in health psychology. Health Psychol. 2010;29:107–16.
113. DA. Clark The end of evidence-based medicine? Inflammopharmacology. 2012;20:187–93.
114. AW Rutjes , JB Reitsma , M Di Nisio , N Smidt , JC van Rijn , PM. Bossuyt Evidence of bias and variation in diagnostic accuracy studies. CMAJ. 2006;174:469–76.
116. L Hartling , K Bond , PL Santaguida , M Viswanathan , DM. Dryden Testing a tool for the classification of study designs in systematic reviews of interventions and exposures showed moderate reliability and low accuracy. J Clin Epidemiol. 2011;64:861–71.
118. M Lugtenberg , JS Burgers , C Clancy , GP Westert , EC. Schneider Current guidelines have limited applicability to patients with comorbid conditions: a systematic analysis of evidence-based guidelines. PLoS One. 2011;6:e25987.
119. AJ Ballantyne , WA. Rogers Sex bias in studies selected for clinical guidelines. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011;20:1297–306.
120. K Fahy , SK. Tracy Critique of Cochrane systematic review of home-like setting for birth. Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2007;5:360–4.
122. S Bow , J Klassen , A Chisholm , et al.A descriptive analysis of child-relevant systematic reviews in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. BMC Pediatr. 2010;10:34.
123. M Roseman , K Milette , LA Bero , et al.Reporting of conflicts of interest in meta-analyses of trials of pharmacological treatments. JAMA. 2011;305:1008–17.
124. M Roseman , EH Turner , J Lexchin , JC Coyne , LA Bero , BD. Thombs Reporting of conflicts of interest from drug trials in Cochrane reviews: cross sectional study. BMJ. 2012;345:e5155.
127. P. Tharyan Criminals in the citadel and deceit all along the watchtower: Irresponsibility, fraud, and complicity in the search for scientific truth. Mens Sana Monogr. 2012;10:158–80.
128. RE Bonita , S Adams , DJ. Whellan Reporting of clinical trials: publication, authorship, and trial registration. Heart Fail Clin. 2011;7:561–7.
129. G Mowatt , L Shirran , JM Grimshaw , et al.Prevalence of honorary and ghost authorship in Cochrane reviews. JAMA. 2002;287:2769–71.
130. JS Wislar , A Flanagin , PB Fontanarosa , CD. Deangelis Honorary and ghost authorship in high impact biomedical journals: a cross sectional survey. BMJ. 2011;343:d6128.
131. R. Avraham Clinical practice guidelines: the warped incentives in the U. S. healthcare system. Am J Law Med. 2011;37:7–40.
132. G Guyatt , EA Akl , J Hirsh , et al.The vexing problem of guidelines and conflict of interest: a potential solution. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152:738–41.
133. J Neuman , D Korenstein , JS Ross , S. Keyhani Prevalence of financial conflicts of interest among panel members producing clinical practice guidelines in Canada and United States: cross sectional study. BMJ. 2011;343:d5621.
135. SL Norris , HK Holmer , BU Burda , LA Ogden , R. Fu Conflict of interest policies for organizations producing a large number of clinical practice guidelines. PLoS One. 2012;7:e37413.
136. CS Bailey , MG Fehlings , YR Rampersaud , H Hall , EK Wai , CG. Fisher Industry and evidence-based medicine: Believable or conflicted? A systematic review of the surgical literature. Can J Surg. 2011;54:321–6.
137. A Lundh , M Barbateskovic , A Hrobjartsson , PC. Gotzsche Conflicts of interest at medical journals: the influence of industry-supported randomised trials on journal impact factors and revenue - cohort study. PLoS Med. 2010;7:e1000354.
138. R Upshur , S Buetow , M Loughlin , A. Miles Can academic and clinical journals be in financial conflict of interest situations? The case of evidence-based incorporated. J Eval Clin Pract. 2006;12:405–9.
139. P Doshi , T Jefferson , C. Del Mar The imperative to share clinical study reports: recommendations from the Tamiflu experience. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001201.
140. R. Moynihan Rosiglitazone, marketing, and medical science. BMJ. 2010;340:c1848.
141. AT Wang , CP McCoy , MH Murad , VM. Montori Association between industry affiliation and position on cardiovascular risk with rosiglitazone: cross sectional systematic review. BMJ. 2010;340:c1344.
144. A. Booth Evidence-based practice: triumph of style over substance? Health Info Libr J. 2011;28:237–41.