The Edinburgh Mathematical Society has published its Proceedings of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society since the inception of the Society in 1883, and some of the early volumes contained articles of a rather elementary or pedagogical nature. However, by 1909 it was felt that such articles should not appear in the Proceedings and, at the suggestion of Professor G.A. Gibson of Glasgow University, it was agreed to issue a supplement to the Proceedings, to be called Mathematical Notes: a review of Elementary Mathematics and Science, for material of this nature. The title of the publication was later shortened to the Edinburgh Mathematical Notes. The first number appeared in April 1909 and succeeding parts appeared at irregular intervals up to the final one in 1961.