This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. WW Thompson , Influenza-associated hospitalizations in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 2004; 292: 1333–1340.
2. S Collins . Excess mortality from causes other than influenza and pneumonia during influenza epidemics. Public Health Reports 1932; 47: 2159–2179.
3. TA Reichert , Influenza and the winter increase in mortality in the United States, 1959–1999. American Journal of Epidemiology 2004; 160: 492–502.
4. C Warren-Gash , Circulating influenza virus, climatic factors, and acute myocardial infarction: a time series study in England and Wales and Hong Kong. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2011; 203: 1710–1718.
5. VF Corrales-Medina , M Madjid , DM Musher . Role of acute infection in triggering acute coronary syndromes. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2010; 10: 83–92.
6. F Lamontagne , Pneumococcal vaccination and risk of myocardial infarction. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2008; 179: 773–777.
7. M Madjid , Influenza epidemics and acute respiratory disease activity are associated with a surge in autopsy-confirmed coronary heart disease death: results from 8 years of autopsies in 34 892 subjects. European Heart Journal 2007; 28: 1205–1210.
8. C Warren-Gash , L Smeeth , AC Hayward . Influenza as a trigger for acute myocardial infarction or death from cardiovascular disease: a systematic review. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2009; 9: 601–610.
9. PJ Lindsberg , AJ Grau . Inflammation and infections as risk factors for ischemic stroke. Stroke 2003; 34: 2518–2532.
10. RF Macko , Impairments of the protein C system and fibrinolysis in infection-associated stroke. Stroke 1996; 27: 2005–2011.
11. M Naghavi , Influenza infection exerts prominent inflammatory and thrombotic effects on the atherosclerotic plaques of apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Circulation 2003; 107: 762–768.
12. AM Toschke , Temporal relationship between influenza infections and subsequent first-ever stroke incidence. Age and Ageing 2009; 38: 100–103.
13. AJ Grau , Association of symptoms of chronic bronchitis and frequent flu-like illnesses with stroke. Stroke 2009; 40: 3206–3210.
14. KL Nichol , Influenza vaccination and reduction in hospitalizations for cardiac disease and stroke among the elderly. New England Journal of Medicine 2003; 348: 1322–1332.
15. S Muhammad , Influenza virus infection aggravates stroke outcome. Stroke 2011; 42: 783–791.
16. A Ciszewski , Influenza vaccination in secondary prevention from coronary ischaemic events in coronary artery disease: FLUCAD study. European Heart Journal 2008; 29: 1350–1358.
17. SM Gwini , CAC Coupland , AN Siriwardena . The effect of influenza vaccination on risk of acute myocardial infarction: Self-controlled case-series study. Vaccine 2011; 29: 1145–1149.
18. AJ Grau , Influenza vaccination is associated with a reduced risk of stroke. Stroke 2005; 36: 1501–1506.
19. IFN Hung , Prevention of acute myocardial infarction and stroke among elderly persons by dual pneumococcal and influenza vaccination: a prospective cohort study. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 51: 1007–1016.
20. A Phrommintikul , Influenza vaccination reduces cardiovascular events in patients with acute coronary syndrome. European Heart Journal 2011; 32: 1730–1735.
21. T Fischer , Secular trends and seasonality in first-time hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction – a Danish population-based study. International Journal of Cardiology 2004; 97: 425–431.
22. ES Jensen , A 20-year ecological study of the temporal association between influenza and meningococcal disease. European Journal of Epidemiology 2004; 19: 181–187.
23. K Katsouyanni , Short term effects of air pollution on health: a European approach using epidemiologic time series data: the APHEA protocol. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 1996; 50 Suppl 1: S12–18.
24. J Schwartz , Methodological issues in studies of air pollution and daily counts of deaths or hospital admissions. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 1996; 50 (Suppl. 1): S3–11.
29. RH Shumway , DS Stoffer . Time Series Analysis and its Applications: with R Examples, 3rd edn. New York: Springer, 2011, pp. 1–589.
30. A Paganini-Hill , Infection and risk of ischemic stroke – differences among stroke subtypes. Stroke 2003; 34: 452–457.
32. AA Bavry , Harmful effects of NSAIDs among patients with hypertension and coronary artery disease. American Journal of Medicine 2011; 124: 614–620.
35. CA Reardon , Effect of immune deficiency on lipoproteins and atherosclerosis in male apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 2001; 21: 1011–1016.
36. CA Reardon , Genetic background selectively influences innominate artery atherosclerosis – immune system deficiency as a probe. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 2003; 23: 1449– 1454.
37. BJ Bennett , Genetic regulation of atherosclerotic plaque size and morphology in the innominate artery of hyperlipidemic mice. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 2009; 29: 348–A18.
38. M Christoffersen , Xanthelasmata, arcus corneae, and ischaemic vascular disease and death in general population: prospective cohort study. British Medical Journal 2011; 343: d5497.
39. N Marden-Haug , Code-based syndromic surveillance for influenza like illness by International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2007; 13: 207–216.
40. CL Roumie , Validation of ICD-9 codes with a high positive predictive value for incident strokes resulting in hospitalization using Medicaid health data. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2008; 17: 20–26.
41. E Birman-Deych , Accuracy of ICD-9-CM codes for identifying cardiovascular and stroke risk factors. Medical Care 2005; 43: 480–485.