This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. I. Borazjani & F. Sotiropoulos 2008 Numerical investigation of the hydrodynamics of anguilliform swimming in the transitional and inertial flow regimes. J. Expl Biol. 212, 576–592.
2. S. L. Brunton & C. W. Rowley 2010 Fast computation of finite-time Lyapunov exponent fields for unsteady flows. Chaos 20, 017503.
6. M. S. Chong , A. E. Perry & B. J. Cantwell 1990 A general classification of three-dimensional flow fields. Phys. Fluids A 2 (5), 765–777.
8. J. O. Dabiri 2009 Optimal vortex formation as a unifying principle in biological propulsion. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 41, 17–33.
9. H. Dong , R. Mittal , M. Bozhurttas & F. Najjar 2005
Wake structure and performance of finite aspect-ratio flapping foils. In 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit. AIAA.
10. J. D. Eldredge & K. Chong 2010 Fluid transport and coherent structures of translating and flapping wings. Chaos 20, 017509.
14. M. A. Green , C. W. Rowley & A. J. Smits 2010 Using hyperbolic Lagrangian coherent structures to investigate vortices in bioinspired fluid flows. Chaos 20, 017510.
17. G. Haller 2002 Lagrangian coherent structures from approximate velocity data. Phys. Fluids 14 (6), 1851–1861.
20. G. Haller & G. Yuan 2000 Lagrangian coherent structures and mixing in two dimensional turbulence. Physica D 147, 352–370.
21. H. Huang , D. Dabiri & M. Gharib 1997 On errors of digital particle image velocimetry. Meas. Sci. Technol. 8, 1427–1440.
22. M. Hultmark , M. Leftwich & A. J. Smits 2007 Flowfield measurements in the wake of a robotic lamprey. Exp. Fluids 43, 683–690.
26. M. M. Koochesfahani 1989 Vortical patterns in the wake of an oscillating airfoil. AIAA J. 27 (9), 1200–1205.
27. G. Lapeyre 2002 Characterization of finite-time Lyapunov exponents and vectors in two-dimensional turbulence. Chaos 12 (3), 688–698.
30. D. Lipinski , B. Cardwell & K. Mohseni 2008 A Lagrangian analysis of a two-dimensional airfoil with vortex shedding. J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 41, 1–22.
31. C. O’Farrell & J. O. Dabiri 2010 A Lagrangian approach to identifying vortex pinch-off. Chaos 20, 017513.
32. S. Sarkar & K. Venkatraman 2006 Numerical simulation of thrust generating flow past a pitching aerofoil. Comput. Fluids 35, 16–42.
33. S. C. Shadden , J. O. Dabiri & J. E. Marsden 2006 Lagrangian analysis of fluid transport in empirical vortex ring flows. Phys. Fluids 18, .
34. S. C. Shadden , F. Lekien & J. E. Marsden 2005 Definition and properties of Lagrangian coherent structures from finite-time Lyapunov exponents in two-dimensinal aperiodic flows. Physica D 212, 271–304.
35. S. C. Shadden , M. Astorino & J.-F. Gerbeau 2010 Computational analysis of an aortic valve jet with Lagrangian coherent structures. Chaos 20, 017512.
37. S. C. Shadden & C. A. Taylor 2008 Characterization of coherent structures in the cardiovascular system. Ann. Biomed. Engng 36 (7), 1152–1162.
38. W. Tang , P. W. Chan & G. Haller 2010 Accurate extraction of Lagrangian coherent structures over finite domains with application to flight data analysis over Hong Kong International Airport. Chaos 20, 017502.
39. G. Triantafyllou , M. Triantafyllou & M. Grosenbaugh 1993 Optimal thrust development in oscillating foils with application to fish propulsion. J. Fluids Struct. 7 (2), 205–224.
40. E. D. Tytell , I. Borazjani , F. Sotiropoulos , T. V. Baker , E. J. Anderson & G. V. Lauder 2010 Disentangling the functional roles of morphology and motion in the swimming of fish. Integr. Compar. Biol. 50 (6), 1140–1154.
41. C. H. K. Williamson & A. Roshko 1988 Vortex formation in the wake of an oscillating cylinder. J. Fluids Struct. 2, 355–381.
43. Q. Zhu & K. Shoele 2008 Propulsion performance of a skeleton-strengthened fin. J. Expl Biol. 211, 2087–2100.