- Cited by 41
Chen, Z.Q. Huang, L. Huang, P. Xu, K.W. Wang, F. and Lu, T.J. 2017. The effects of thin coatings on the mechanical properties and resistance to annealing-induced embrittlement of bulk metallic glass. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 692, Issue. , p. 67.
Vamsi, M.V.N. Wasekar, Nitin P. and Sundararajan, G. 2017. Influence of heat treatment on microstructure and mechanical properties of pulse electrodeposited Ni-W alloy coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 319, Issue. , p. 403.
Zhang, Chao Feng, Kai Li, Zhuguo Lu, Fenggui Huang, Jian Wu, Yixiong and Chu, Paul K. 2017. Enhancement of high-temperature strength of Ni-based films by addition of nano-multilayers and incorporation of W. Acta Materialia, Vol. 133, Issue. , p. 55.
Wang, Peng Yang, Xinhua and Peng, Di 2017. Molecular dynamics investigation of the grain boundary migration hysteresis of nanocrystalline Ni under cyclic shear loading. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 25, Issue. , p. 025006.
Pun, Simon C. Wang, Wenbo Khalajhedayati, Amirhossein Schuler, Jennifer D. Trelewicz, Jason R. and Rupert, Timothy J. 2017. Nanocrystalline Al-Mg with extreme strength due to grain boundary doping. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 696, Issue. , p. 400.
Abdeljawad, Fadi Lu, Ping Argibay, Nicolas Clark, Blythe G. Boyce, Brad L. and Foiles, Stephen M. 2017. Grain boundary segregation in immiscible nanocrystalline alloys. Acta Materialia, Vol. 126, Issue. , p. 528.
Shikha, Deep Mehta, Vimal Sharma, Jeewan and Chauhan, R. P. 2017. Effect of deposition temperature on structural, optical and electrical properties of nanocrystalline SnSe thin films. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, Vol. 28, Issue. , p. 2487.
Matsui, Isao Kanetake, Mizuki Mori, Hiroki Takigawa, Yorinobu and Higashi, Kenji 2017. Relationship between grain boundary relaxation strengthening and orientation in electrodeposited bulk nanocrystalline Ni alloys. Materials Letters, Vol. 205, Issue. , p. 211.
Hu, J. Shi, Y. N. Sauvage, X. Sha, G. and Lu, K. 2017. Grain boundary stability governs hardening and softening in extremely fine nanograined metals. Science, Vol. 355, Issue. , p. 1292.
Lee, Jung-A Lee, Dong-Hyun Seok, Moo-Young Choi, In-Chul Han, Heung Nam Tsui, Ting Y. Ramamurty, Upadrasta and Jang, Jae-il 2017. Significant strengthening of nanocrystalline Ni sub-micron pillar by cyclic loading in elastic regime. Scripta Materialia, Vol. 140, Issue. , p. 31.
Yu, M. Fang, Q. H. Feng, H. and Liu, Y. W. 2016. Effect of special rotational deformation on dislocation emission from interface collinear crack tip in nanocrystalline bi-materials. Acta Mechanica, Vol. 227, Issue. , p. 2011.
Varam, Sreedevi Prasad, Muvva D. Rao, K. Bhanu Sankara and Rajulapati, Koteswararao V. 2016. Mechanical properties of in situ consolidated nanocrystalline multi-phase Al–Pb–W alloy studied by nanoindentation. Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 96, Issue. , p. 3671.
Gong, Y.L. Ren, S.Y. Zeng, S.D. and Zhu, X.K. 2016. Unusual hardening behaviour in heavily cryo-rolled Cu-Al-Zn alloys during annealing treatment. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 659, Issue. , p. 165.
Gu, Yejun Xiang, Yang and Srolovitz, David J. 2016. Relaxation of low-angle grain boundary structure by climb of the constituent dislocations. Scripta Materialia, Vol. 114, Issue. , p. 35.
Yang, Zhou and Wang, Junlan 2016. Coupled annealing temperature and layer thickness effect on strengthening mechanisms of Ti/Ni multilayer thin films. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 88, Issue. , p. 72.
Matsui, Isao Omura, Naoki Li, Mingjun Murakami, Yuichiro and Tada, Shuji 2016. Development of Electrodeposition Bath Using a Substitute of Propionic Acid for Bulk Nanocrystalline Ni-W Alloys with High Ductility. Journal of the Japan Institute of Metals, Vol. 80, Issue. , p. 217.
Chen, Z.Q. Huang, L. Wang, F. Huang, P. Lu, T.J. and Xu, K.W. 2016. Suppression of annealing-induced embrittlement in bulk metallic glass by surface crystalline coating. Materials & Design, Vol. 109, Issue. , p. 179.
Leitner, A. Maier-Kiener, V. Jeong, J. Abad, M.D. Hosemann, P. Oh, S.H. and Kiener, D. 2016. Interface dominated mechanical properties of ultra-fine grained and nanoporous Au at elevated temperatures. Acta Materialia, Vol. 121, Issue. , p. 104.
Zhang, Chao Feng, Kai Li, Zhuguo Lu, Fenggui Huang, Jian Wu, Yixiong and Chu, Paul.K. 2016. Enhancement of hardness and thermal stability of W-doped Ni 3 Al thin films at elevated temperature. Materials & Design, Vol. 111, Issue. , p. 575.
Cheng, Bin and Trelewicz, Jason R. 2016. Mechanistic coupling of dislocation and shear transformation zone plasticity in crystalline-amorphous nanolaminates. Acta Materialia, Vol. 117, Issue. , p. 293.
Check if you have access via personal or institutional login
The hardening effect caused by the relaxation of nonequilibrium grain boundary structure has been explored in nanocrystalline Ni–W alloys. First, the kinetics of relaxation hardening are studied, showing that higher annealing temperatures result in faster, more pronounced strengthening. Based on the temperature dependence of relaxation strengthening kinetics, triple junction diffusion is suggested as a plausible kinetic rate limiter for the removal of excess grain boundary defects in these materials. Second, the magnitude of relaxation strengthening is explored over a wide range of grain sizes spanning the Hall–Petch breakdown, with an apparent maximum hardening effect found at a grain size below 10 nm. The apparent activation volume for plastic deformation is unaffected by annealing for grain sizes down to ∼10 nm, but increases with annealing for the finest grain sizes, suggesting a change in the dominant deformation mechanism for these structures.
Hide All1. R.J. Asaro , P. Krysl , and B. Kad : Deformation mechanism transitions in nanoscale fcc metals. Philos. Mag. Lett. 83, 733 (2003).
2. Z. Budrovic , H. Van Swygenhoven , P.M. Derlet , S. Van Petegem , and B. Schmitt : Plastic deformation with reversible peak broadening in nanocrystalline nickel. Science 304, 273 (2004).
3. S. Cheng , J.A. Spencer , and W.W. Milligan : Strength and tension/compression asymmetry in nanostructured and ultrafine-grain metals. Acta Mater. 51, 4505 (2003).
4. D.S. Gianola , S. Van Petegem , M. Legros , S. Brandstetter , H. Van Swygenhoven , and K.J. Hemker : Stress-assisted discontinuous grain growth and its effect on the deformation behavior of nanocrystalline aluminum thin films. Acta Mater. 54, 2253 (2006).
5. M. Jin , A.M. Minor , E.A. Stach , and J.W. Morris : Direct observation of deformation-induced grain growth during the nanoindentation of ultrafine-grained Al at room temperature. Acta Mater. 52, 5381 (2004).
6. K. Zhang , J.R. Weertman , and J.A. Eastman : The influence of time, temperature, and grain size on indentation creep in high-purity nanocrystalline and ultrafine grain copper. Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 5197 (2004).
7. T.J. Rupert , D.S. Gianola , Y. Gan , and K.J. Hemker : Experimental observations of stress-driven grain boundary migration. Science 326, 1686 (2009).
8. M. Ke , S.A. Hackney , W.W. Milligan , and E.C. Aifantis : Observation and measurement of grain rotation and plastic strain in nanostructured metal thin films. Nanostruct. Mater. 5, 689 (1995).
9. K.S. Kumar , S. Suresh , M.F. Chisholm , J.A. Horton , and P. Wang : Deformation of electrodeposited nanocrystalline nickel. Acta Mater. 51, 387 (2003).
10. Z.W. Shan , E.A. Stach , J.M.K. Wiezorek , J.A. Knapp , D.M. Follstaedt , and S.X. Mao : Grain boundary-mediated plasticity in nanocrystalline nickel. Science 305, 654 (2004).
11. J. Schiotz , F.D. Di Tolla , and K.W. Jacobsen : Softening of nanocrystalline metals at very small grain sizes. Nature 391, 561 (1998).
12. H. Van Swygenhoven and P.A. Derlet : Grain-boundary sliding in nanocrystalline fcc metals. Phys. Rev. B 64, 224105 (2001).
13. D. Jang and M. Atzmon : Grain-boundary relaxation and its effect on plasticity in nanocrystalline Fe. J. Appl. Phys. 99, 083504 (2006).
14. S. Ranganathan , R. Divakar , and V.S. Raghunathan : Interface structures in nanocrystalline materials. Scr. Mater. 44, 1169 (2001).
15. X.L. Wu and Y.T. Zhu : Partial-dislocation-mediated processes in nanocrystalline Ni with nonequilibrium grain boundaries. Appl. Phys. Lett. 89, 031922 (2006).
16. J. Loffler and J. Weissmuller : Grain-boundary atomic structure in nanocrystalline palladium from x-ray atomic distribution-functions. Phys. Rev. B 52, 7076 (1995).
19. A. Tschope , R. Birringer , and H. Gleiter : Calorimetric measurements of the thermal relaxation in nanocrystalline platinum. J. Appl. Phys. 71, 5391 (1992).
21. L. Chang , P.W. Kao , and C.H. Chen : Strengthening mechanisms in electrodeposited Ni-P alloys with nanocrystalline grains. Scr. Mater. 56, 713 (2007).
22. T. Volpp , E. Goring , W.M. Kuschke , and E. Arzt : Grain size determination and limits to Hall-Petch behavior in nanocrystalline NiAl powders. Nanostruct. Mater. 8, 855 (1997).
23. J.R. Weertman : Hall-Petch strengthening in nanocrystalline metals. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 166, 161 (1993).
24. G.E. Fougere , J.R. Weertman , R.W. Siegel , and S. Kim : Grain-size dependent hardening and softening of nanocrystalline Cu and Pd. Scr. Metall. Mater. 26, 1879 (1992).
25. Y.M. Wang , S. Cheng , Q.M. Wei , E. Ma , T.G. Nieh , and A. Hamza : Effects of annealing and impurities on tensile properties of electrodeposited nanocrystalline Ni. Scr. Mater. 51, 1023 (2004).
26. A. Hasnaoui , H. Van Swygenhoven , and P.M. Derlet : On non-equilibrium grain boundaries and their effect on thermal and mechanical behaviour: A molecular dynamics computer simulation. Acta Mater. 50, 3927 (2002).
27. N.Q. Vo , R.S. Averback , P. Bellon , and A. Caro : Limits of hardness at the nanoscale: Molecular dynamics simulations. Phys. Rev. B 78, 241402 (2008).
28. N.Q. Vo , R.S. Averback , P. Bellon , and A. Caro : Yield strength in nanocrystalline Cu during high strain rate deformation. Scr. Mater. 61, 76 (2009).
29. A.J. Detor and C.A. Schuh : Tailoring and patterning the grain size of nanocrystalline alloys. Acta Mater. 55, 371 (2007).
30. A.J. Detor , M.K. Miller , and C.A. Schuh : Solute distribution in nanocrystalline Ni-W alloys examined through atom probe tomography. Philos. Mag. 86, 4459 (2006).
31. A.J. Detor , M.K. Miller , and C.A. Schuh : Measuring grain-boundary segregation in nanocrystalline alloys: Direct validation of statistical techniques using atom probe tomography. Philos. Mag. Lett. 87, 581 (2007).
32. T.J. Rupert , J.C. Trenkle , and C.A. Schuh : Enhanced solid solution effects on the strength of nanocrystalline alloys. Acta Mater. 59, 1619 (2011).
33. Z. Zhang , F. Zhou , and E.J. Lavernia : On the analysis of grain size in bulk nanocrystalline materials via x-ray diffraction. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 34, 1349 (2003).
35. J.R. Trelewicz and C.A. Schuh : The Hall-Petch breakdown in nanocrystalline metals: A crossover to glass-like deformation. Acta Mater. 55, 5948 (2007).
37. B.N. Lucas and W.C. Oliver : Indentation power-law creep of high-purity indium. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 30, 601 (1999).
38. A.C. Lund and C.A. Schuh : Strength asymmetry in nanocrystalline metals under multiaxial loading. Acta Mater. 53, 3193 (2005).
39. J.R. Trelewicz and C.A. Schuh : The Hall-Petch breakdown at high strain rates: Optimizing nanocrystalline grain size for impact applications. Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 171916 (2008).
43. J. Horvath , R. Birringer , and H. Gleiter : Diffusion in nanocrystalline material. Solid State Commun. 62, 319 (1987).
44. Y.R. Kolobov , G.P. Grabovetskaya , M.B. Ivanov , A.P. Zhilyaev , and R.Z. Valiev : Grain-boundary diffusion characteristics of nanostructured nickel. Scr. Mater. 44, 873 (2001).
45. S. Schumacher , R. Birringer , R. Strauss , and H. Gleiter : Diffusion of silver in nanocrystalline copper between 303-K and 373-K. Acta Metall. 37, 2485 (1989).
46. J.M. Blakely and H. Mykura : Surface self diffusion measurements on nickel by the mass transfer method. Acta Metall. 9, 23 (1961).
47. Y. Chen and C.A. Schuh : Geometric considerations for diffusion in polycrystalline solids. J. Appl. Phys. 101, 063524 (2007).
48. Y. Chen and C.A. Schuh : Contribution of triple junctions to the diffusion anomaly in nanocrystalline materials. Scr. Mater. 57, 253 (2007).
49. A. Tschope and R. Birringer : Thermodynamics of nanocrystalline platinum. Acta Metall. Mater. 41, 2791 (1993).
51. G. Taylor : Thermally-activated deformation of bcc metals and alloys. Prog. Mater. Sci. 36, 29 (1992).
52. A.C. Lund , T.G. Nieh , and C.A. Schuh : Tension/compression strength asymmetry in a simulated nanocrystalline metal. Phys. Rev. B 69, 012101 (2004).
53. W.H. Jiang and M. Atzmon : Room-temperature flow in a metallic glass—Strain-rate dependence of shear-band behavior. J. Alloy. Comp. 509, 7395 (2011).
54. Y.F. Shi and M.L. Falk : Stress-induced structural transformation and shear banding during simulated nanoindentation of a metallic glass. Acta Mater. 55, 4317 (2007).
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this journal to your organisation's collection.
- ISSN: 0884-2914
- EISSN: 2044-5326
- URL: /core/journals/journal-of-materials-research
Full text views
Full text views reflects the number of PDF downloads, PDFs sent to Google Drive, Dropbox and Kindle and HTML full text views.
Full text views reflects the number of PDF downloads, PDFs sent to Google Drive, Dropbox and Kindle and HTML full text views.
* Views captured on Cambridge Core between September 2016 - 17th October 2017. This data will be updated every 24 hours.