Instructions - manuscript submission requirements
Original and revised manuscripts must be submitted online via JMR Manuscripts (http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/jmr). E-mail submissions are not accepted. Complete instructions are available on the JMR Manuscripts site.
In preparing a paper for submission to JMR, the following priorities should be given attention by the author:
1)PAPER TITLE – Give careful consideration to the title of the paper and its impact on discoverability by other researchers. Does the title indicate the critical significance of the findings? Does title include key words that will help other researchers in the field find the paper in an online search?
2)METHODOLOGY – Put the Methods section after the Conclusion section and before the Acknowledgments (if any) and Reference sections
3)FIGURES – Take care to provide the highest quality figures possible. Combine related figures into a multi-part format that tells a complete story (original sample, change, resulting sample, etc.)
Manuscripts must be:
- Written in English
- Formatted to fit 8 ½ x 11 inch paper
- Saved as a .doc file
- Single column
- Regular articles of 3250-8000 words (not including figures, captions, or references), with a minimum of 6/maximum of 10 figures and tables combined. Shorter papers may be rejected on the basis of length. (Note: MRS Communications does accept shorter papers. You can view more information on MRC article types here)
- Review articles of 5500-15,000 words (not including figures, captions, or references), to include no more than 15 figures and tables combined. It should not exceed 150 references.
- For all submissions, if figures exceed the numbers given above, extras may be included in supplementary information to be uploaded in a word document with other manuscript files.
Manuscript submissions must include the following:
- 1. Cover letter explaining the importance and impact of the materials research being reported in the paper. Authors must also confirm that the manuscript has not been published previously and is not under consideration for publication in another journal at the time of submission. Authors are encouraged to suggest appropriate Principal Editors.
- 2. Title page with manuscript title, all authors' names and affiliations (including mailing addresses and postal codes)*, abstract, and name and institutional email address of the corresponding author.
*During submission, authors must enter all co-author names, addresses, and institutional email addresses.
- 3. Abstract, outlining all subjects related to the new information being presented, as well as conclusions and all numerical results of general interest. A list of experimental techniques used in the research is discouraged. The abstract must be adequate as an index and a summary.
- Maximum 150 words
- Please identify the figure or figure part that best represents your paper for display in the online abstract. A color figure that is visually interesting and tells the reader at a glance what the paper is about is recommended. Please be specific [i.e., Fig. 3(a) or Fig. 3(b)].
- Avoid the use of jargon and other terminology that would render the abstract inaccessible to the non-specialist
- Use past tense when referring to experiments but present tense when referring to scientific law.
- Manuscript number and corresponding author's name must appear on all forms.
- The completed copyright form may be uploaded with the manuscript materials or sent to the Editorial Office electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org. When sending the form electronically, please use the following subject line: Manuscript ID Number – Copyright Form.
- Manuscripts cannot be accepted for publication until the completed form is received.
Important Notes about Electronic Manuscript Submission
- Please carefully review the converted PDF file to verify that special characters and formatting have not been lost during conversion. The converted PDF proof that is approved and submitted is viewed by the Editorial Office, editors and reviewers.
- You must click "Submit Manuscript," to complete the manuscript submission process.
- After successful submission, all authors will receive a confirmation email containing the manuscript number.
- To check manuscript status, the corresponding author may log on to the JMR Manuscripts site and proceed to the Author Center, where current status information is displayed for all of that author's articles.
- Please list email@example.com as an allowable sender in your email system to ensure that all email notifications are delivered.
Language Editing Services All manuscripts must be written in English. If English is not your native language, please have your manuscript edited for correct English grammar and sentence structure prior to submission. Please note that poor English may ultimately be a reason to reject the paper. The Materials Research Society has partnered with American Journal Experts (AJE) to provide a 10% discount to MRS members on a comprehensive suite of author services, including English language editing. Learn more at aje.com/go/mrsauthors.
Use of these services does not guarantee that a manuscript submitted to JMR will be accepted.