This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. HA Whiteford , L Degenhardt , J Rehm , (2013) Global burden of disease attributable to mental and substance use disorders: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 382, 1575–1586.
4. DG Blazer (2003) Depression in late life: review and commentary. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 58, 249–265.
5. A Fiske , JL Wetherell & M Gatz (2009) Depression in older adults. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 5, 363–389.
8. DW Eyles , S Smith , R Kinobe , (2005) Distribution of the vitamin D receptor and 1 α-hydroxylase in human brain. J Chem Neuroanat 29, 21–30.
9. EM Brouwer-Brolsma , EJ Feskens , WT Steegenga , (2013) Associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D with fasting glucose, fasting insulin, dementia and depression in European elderly: the SENECA study. Eur J Nutr 52, 917–925.
10. WJ Hoogendijk , P Lips , MG Dik , (2008) Depression is associated with decreased 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased parathyroid hormone levels in older adults. Arch Gen Psychiatry 65, 508–512.
12. V Hirani , RG Cumming , V Naganathan , (2014) Associations between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and multiple health conditions, physical performance measures, disability, and all-cause mortality: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Am Geriatr Soc 62, 417–425.
14. A Pan , L Lu , OH Franco , (2009) Association between depressive symptoms and 25-hydroxyvitamin D in middle-aged and elderly Chinese. J Affect Disord 118, 240–243.
16. M Kjaergaard , R Joakimsen & R Jorde (2011) Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are associated with depression in an adult Norwegian population. Psychiatry Res 190, 221–225.
17. RE Anglin , Z Samaan , SD Walter , (2013) Vitamin D deficiency and depression in adults: systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry 202, 100–107.
20. TB Harris , LJ Launer , G Eiriksdottir , (2007) Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility-Reykjavik Study: multidisciplinary applied phenomics. Am J Epidemiol 165, 1076–1087.
21. T Eysteinsdottir , I Thorsdottir , I Gunnarsdottir , (2012) Assessing validity of a short food frequency questionnaire on present dietary intake of elderly Icelanders. Nutr J 11, 12.
22. T Eysteinsdottir , I Gunnarsdottir , I Thorsdottir , (2011) Validity of retrospective diet history: assessing recall of midlife diet using food frequency questionnaire in later life. J Nutr Health Aging 15, 809–814.
24. LS Gudmundsson , AI Scher , S Sigurdsson , (2013) Migraine, depression, and brain volume: the AGES-Reykjavik Study. Neurology 80, 2138–2144.
28. Y Milaneschi , M Shardell , AM Corsi , (2010) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and depressive symptoms in older women and men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95, 3225–3233.
29. DM Lee , A Tajar , TW O'Neill , (2011) Lower vitamin D levels are associated with depression among community-dwelling European men. J Psychopharmacol 25, 1320–1328.
31. JA Blumenthal , MA Babyak , PM Doraiswamy , (2007) Exercise and pharmacotherapy in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Psychosom Med 69, 587–596.
32. PM Bamonti , EC Price & A Fiske (2014) Depressive symptoms and suicide risk in older adults: value placed on autonomy as a moderator for men but not women. Suicide Life Threat Behav 44, 188–199.
36. PK Murphy & CL Wagner (2008) Vitamin D and mood disorders among women: an integrative review. J Midwifery Womens Health 53, 440–446.
38. V Yalamanchili & JC Gallagher (2012) Treatment with hormone therapy and calcitriol did not affect depression in older postmenopausal women: no interaction with estrogen and vitamin D receptor genotype polymorphisms. Menopause 19, 697–703.
39. KM Sanders , AL Stuart , EJ Williamson , (2011) Annual high-dose vitamin D3 and mental well-being: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 198, 357–364.
40. M Kjaergaard , K Waterloo , CE Wang , (2012) Effect of vitamin D supplement on depression scores in people with low levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D: nested case–control study and randomised clinical trial. Br J Psychiatry 201, 360–368.
41. R Jorde , M Sneve , Y Figenschau , (2008) Effects of vitamin D supplementation on symptoms of depression in overweight and obese subjects: randomized double blind trial. J Intern Med 264, 599–609.
42. R Rafiq , KM Swart , NM van Schoor , (2014) Associations of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations with quality of life and self-rated health in an older population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99, 3136–3143.
43. L Steingrimsdottir , TI Halldorsson , K Siggeirsdottir , (2014) Hip fractures and bone mineral density in the elderly – importance of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D. PLOS ONE 9, e91122.
44. R Jorde , M Sneve , M Hutchinson , (2010) Tracking of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels during 14 years in a population-based study and during 12 months in an intervention study. Am J Epidemiol 171, 903–908.
45. A Vilhelmsson (2013) Depression and antidepressants: a Nordic perspective. Front Public Health 1, 30.