Hostname: page-component-848d4c4894-x5gtn Total loading time: 0 Render date: 2024-05-18T08:27:35.740Z Has data issue: false hasContentIssue false

A Fragment of a Diploma from Cirencester

Published online by Cambridge University Press:  24 September 2012

Extract

Among a group of ten mirrors B2864 found together at the corner of Church Street and Watermoor Road in 1926 is a bronze disc 0·053 m. in diameter (fig. 7). During recent treatment of these at the Ashmolean Museum, traces of letters became visible on both sides of it. From these it was evident that the disc had been cut from the second of the two bronze plates forming the certificate of honourable discharge and grant of privileges to a time-expired soldier of an auxiliary regiment. It may be recalled that these tabulae honestae missionis contained on the first of their four pages a memorandum repeating the certified copy of the decree, on the second and third pages this certified copy, ending with the name of the recipient and on the fourth page the names and seals of the seven witnesses which made the document a legal instrument.

Type
Research Article
Copyright
Copyright ©Donald Atkinson 1957. Exclusive Licence to Publish: The Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies

Access options

Get access to the full version of this content by using one of the access options below. (Log in options will check for institutional or personal access. Content may require purchase if you do not have access.)

References

1 For a description of diplomas see JRS xx (1930), 16 ff.